California Dealers Marking Up MME

Dancefreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium extended battery eAWD
Country flag
I can’t at all speak about buying off the lot as I know there were two Mach 1 Mustangs with a 10K markup in the lobby…BUT…after picking up my car ordered 8 months ago at South Bay Ford, I have to say they were fantastic for me. I read about people having serious issues getting thier dealers to do price protection and every other incentive. No issue at all. They made sure every incentive I was due as well as x-plan was applied including my original price and the options incentive before it was reduced. In CA we pay tax on full price, but they worked it right so that my original xplan price was the sale price rather than it being worked out with credits, so I was charged proper tax. I consider that absolutely honest.

And the best evidence is that I agreed to a price that meant a few dollars increase on the monthly over what I calculated. It was very minor and less than ten dollars so I just figured that was my bad calculation since they made a few adjustments with no question before that. But then I went in with finance to sign papers and was told the number I agreed to was wrong and was given the accurate number which was EXACTLY what I calculated. I was ready to sign before that. They could have never told me and I would have been happy. This would have been a few extra hundred in the pocket of the dealer. But they corrected it!

So with that I’ll recommend everyone I know to go to South Bay Ford.…IF they’re ordering a car. Again I have no idea what they’ve doing on markups, especially as the four Mach-E in the lot were all marked sold, though I think it’s a fair assumption that if they have one to sell, they’ll add on like most other dealers. I know a lot of people here are looking for cars that they can buy off the lot, and I want everyone to find the car of their dreams at a good price, so maybe this isn’t your best option for that in a world where nearly every dealer is doing huge markups on in demand cars, but they’re honest and up front and that’s something I appreciate in this day and age. So for that I give them fair props here.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I can’t at all speak about buying off the lot as I know there were two Mach 1 Mustangs with a 10K markup in the lobby…BUT…after picking up my car ordered 8 months ago at South Bay Ford, I have to say they were fantastic for me. I read about people having serious issues getting thier dealers to do price protection and every other incentive. No issue at all. They made sure every incentive I was due as well as x-plan was applied including my original price and the options incentive before it was reduced. In CA we pay tax on full price, but they worked it right so that my original xplan price was the sale price rather than it being worked out with credits, so I was charged proper tax. I consider that absolutely honest.

And the best evidence is that I agreed to a price that meant a few dollars increase on the monthly over what I calculated. It was very minor and less than ten dollars so I just figured that was my bad calculation since they made a few adjustments with no question before that. But then I went in with finance to sign papers and was told the number I agreed to was wrong and was given the accurate number which was EXACTLY what I calculated. I was ready to sign before that. They could have never told me and I would have been happy. This would have been a few extra hundred in the pocket of the dealer. But they corrected it!

So with that I’ll recommend everyone I know to go to South Bay Ford.…IF they’re ordering a car. Again I have no idea what they’ve doing on markups, especially as the four Mach-E in the lot were all marked sold, though I think it’s a fair assumption that if they have one to sell, they’ll add on like most other dealers. I know a lot of people here are looking for cars that they can buy off the lot, and I want everyone to find the car of their dreams at a good price, so maybe this isn’t your best option for that in a world where nearly every dealer is doing huge markups on in demand cars, but they’re honest and up front and that’s something I appreciate in this day and age. So for that I give them fair props here.
Glad you had a good experience with the dealer. That’s what it should be like!

Most dealers in California (but not all) seem to treat their special order customers better and avoid ADM entirely.

pacman7474

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
So excited to see the dealership that I ordered through on the top of the list. Can't wait!

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hilltop is a joke, thier salespeople, their service department, everything they do. Stay away.

chrysler200

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
Hi
Whom did you work with at Putnam in San Mateo that gave you 5k adm for a GT? I'm considering buying at this dealer.
Thanks in advance.
I wound up purchasing an MME GTPE from Putnam Ford, which was a canceled customer order. The sales people were somewhat flexible on the ADM and I was able to show that Capitol Ford was charging a smaller ADM for the same trim. The finance person was not good however. I passed up a Hyundai Ioniq 5 limited awd from Tracey Hyundai that had a 4k ADM. Spouse and I were not overly thrilled with the quasi hatchback look of the Hyundai so we went with MME instead.

KyleCleave

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select, DMG
Country flag
I spoke with Frontier Ford today in Santa Clara. They had a 10-15k markup based on model.

Sipadan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I'll add another +1 to South Bay Ford. I just picked up my '22 Select on Saturday and got no ADM, X-plan and Ford options at 2.49% which was the rate when I ordered, not the rate today (3.9%). They told me they don't charge ADM on most models (like the Mach-E). I would recommend checking them out (Jeffry Trabanino was my sales advisor).

Camille

First Name
Camille
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Walnut crk was very nice but didnt have any in stock, and 6mo to order.
Concord and Hilltop wanted 8k
San Jose/Capitol wanted 7k / 5k
My "ordered" Premium AWD w/ Extended Battery should be being delivered anytime now to Walnut Creek Ford! We got one off the lot in January in Dark Matter Gray and it's BEAUTIFUL! Our ordered one is the Ice Blue or whatever the name is. I have gotten emails from Ford that it is built and will be delivered end of July, early August!! J/S..🥰
P.S. We are not getting it

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Found this thread bumped and found it amazing. Just went through all this in NoCal past few weeks. I'll add these from recent findings, it felt like collusion:
Future Ford Roseville - $10k (on a GT on the lot)
Future Ford Sacramento - $10k when I called
Folsom Lake Ford - $10k on ER models, $8k on SR models
Elk Grove Ford - $10k (GT on the lot)
Big Valley Ford - $10k
Capitol Ford (Carson City) - $10k on a GT
Capitol Ford (San Jose) - $10k on website

I will admit, I did not try Walnut Creek or Morgan Hill, unfortunately. If my search on ford dot com didn't reveal a Premium ER on the lot I stopped trying.

I found one argument funny on here a few pages back regarding Tesla not charging ADM while Ford does. But Ford has more flexibility:

Option1, place order with no ADM:
Ford dealers let you order with MSRP (only updated few times per year) or below MSRP (Xplan for example), you wait months and get your car, no ADM
Tesla website lets you order with MSRP (elastic, fluctuates with market), you wait months and get your car, no ADM (I'm speculating markup gets built in to the MSRP that is elastic, but I have no data on that)

Option2, instant gratification with ADM, drive home today:
Ford has dealerships, you get what you can get by shopping around
Tesla - not an option

Seems like Ford has more flexibility and you can still do similar to Tesla model if you want? I fail to see the problem, unless Tesla isn't hitting supply chain delays like Ford? I'm gonna google that now, I'm curious on Tesla current delivery times.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Found this thread bumped and found it amazing. Just went through all this in NoCal past few weeks. I'll add these from recent findings, it felt like collusion:
Future Ford Roseville - $10k (on a GT on the lot)
Future Ford Sacramento - $10k when I called
Folsom Lake Ford - $10k on ER models, $8k on SR models
Elk Grove Ford - $10k (GT on the lot)
Big Valley Ford - $10k
Capitol Ford (Carson City) - $10k on a GT
Capitol Ford (San Jose) - $10k on website

I will admit, I did not try Walnut Creek or Morgan Hill, unfortunately. If my search on ford dot com didn't reveal a Premium ER on the lot I stopped trying.

I found one argument funny on here a few pages back regarding Tesla not charging ADM while Ford does. But Ford has more flexibility:

Option1, place order with no ADM:
Ford dealers let you order with MSRP (only updated few times per year) or below MSRP (Xplan for example), you wait months and get your car, no ADM
Tesla website lets you order with MSRP (elastic, fluctuates with market), you wait months and get your car, no ADM

Option2, instant gratification with ADM, drive home today:
Ford has dealerships, you get what you can get by shopping around
Tesla - not an option

Seems like Ford has more flexibility and you can still do similar to Tesla model if you want? I fail to see the problem, unless Tesla isn't hitting supply chain delays like Ford? I'm gonna google that now, I'm curious on Tesla current delivery times.
First of all, Ford doesn't charge ADM, greedy dealers do! Ford actively discourages the practice because they recognize it represents a reputational risk to the company.

And your two options aren't the only ones available. Option 3 is: Find a dealer that doesn't charge ADM on abandoned special orders! That's why many of us in NorCal deal only with Walnut Creek Ford and The Ford Store Morgan Hill. They never charge ADM on new cars, no matter what the demand, because they don't believe in price-gouging their customers.

Scrupulous dealers are out there; you just have to be willing to do you homework to find and cultivate them. Personally, I consider ADM an affront and will avoid any dealer that charges it like the plague...

Finally, you'll find that delivery times for Teslas vary dramatically depending on the trim you order. The higher trim levels may be available much sooner than the more commonly-ordered vehicles. But don't forget: Teslas are no longer eligible for the $7,500 Federal income tax credit that Ford Mach-E buyers can still reap. For many of us, that's a deal-breaker.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
First of all, Ford doesn't charge ADM, greedy dealers do! Ford actively discourages the practice because they recognize it represents a reputational risk to the company.

And your two options aren't the only ones available. Option 3 is: Find a dealer that doesn't charge ADM on abandoned special orders! That's why many of us in NorCal deal only with Walnut Creek Ford and The Ford Store Morgan Hill. They never charge ADM on new cars, no matter what the demand, because they don't believe in price-gouging their customers.

Scrupulous dealers are out there; you just have to be willing to do you homework to find and cultivate them. Personally, I consider ADM an affront and will avoid any dealer that charges it like the plague...

Finally, you'll find that delivery times for Teslas vary dramatically depending on the trim you order. The higher trim levels may be available much sooner than the more commonly-ordered vehicles. But don't forget: Teslas are no longer eligible for the $7,500 Federal income tax credit that Ford Mach-E buyers can still reap. For many of us, that's a deal-breaker.
Yep! Agree, and I definitely missed those 2 dealers for the reasons I gave (my config wasn't on their lots). As you know there are a LOT of dealers in our 200mi radius. I had reached my exhaustion point on calls and emails and it sure seemed like there was a colluded $10k markup!

I value your research so I know now that Morgan Hill and Walnut Creek are great for future purchases if my local (<2mi to Folsom Lake Ford) doesn't come through.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Yep! Agree, and I definitely missed those 2 dealers for the reasons I gave (my config wasn't on their lots). As you know there are a LOT of dealers in our 200mi radius. I had reached my exhaustion point on calls and emails and it sure seemed like there was a colluded $10k markup!

I value your research so I know now that Morgan Hill and Walnut Creek are great for future purchases if my local (<2mi to Folsom Lake Ford) doesn't come through.
Sounds good! If you feel like driving a little farther, Santa Maria Ford on the central coast also does not charge ADM on new cars, no matter what the demand.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sounds good! If you feel like driving a little farther, Santa Maria Ford on the central coast also does not charge ADM on new cars, no matter what the demand.
Good to know! And if it helps at all for anyone looking around for Hyundai, San Leandro Hyundai was the only one we found with technically no ADM, they only had ~$1800 of forced addons to keep their shop guys employed and vendor relationship good (sealant/protectant, and reviver plates). So you "kind of" get something for the "ADM" there.

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
FYI: Putnam Ford in San Mateo is charging a non-negotiable $20,000 ADM for their 2 GT Perf on the lot.
Ford Mustang Mach-E California Dealers Marking Up MME 79936B2D-04A5-4177-BE84-F7AD945FD0A5

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
FYI: Putnam Ford in San Mateo is charging a non-negotiable $20,000 ADM for their 2 GT Perf on the lot.
Ford Mustang Mach-E California Dealers Marking Up MME 79936B2D-04A5-4177-BE84-F7AD945FD0A5
Putnam Ford is well-known as one of the greediest and most unscrupulous dealers in the Bay Area. Many of their EV clientele are young tech workers with stock options who don't care about price...

Do yourself a favor and drive across the Bay to Walnut Creek Ford or south to The Ford Store Morgan Hill if you'd rather work with dealerships who value and respect their customers.