efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Why does the California Route 1 model exist?
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Because there is no Select ER trim and they just wanted to slap a fancy name on it.

Someone must have liked it because there are a few that have been ordered (oh wait, I ordered one).

Its configuration is such that it will likely have the longest range of any Mach-E (by a mile or two).

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It seems like the "range" play with only ER RWD and aero wheel covers - but since it has the big glass roof, I assume that it's also the "Tesla" rival one as well, since the glass roof increases solar load and A/C usage, hurting range - and there's no heated seats, which reduce heating usage and would help range.

I'm not sure it really is as good of a "range" car as it could have been. It seems like it's in an awkward middle ground.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Because there is no Select ER trim and they just wanted to slap a fancy name on it.

Someone must have liked it because there are a few that have been ordered (oh wait, I ordered one).

Its configuration is such that it will likely have the longest range of any Mach-E (by a mile or two).
Having grown up fairly near Highway 1 in NorCal, I'd have ordered one just for the badge if it was a variation on the Premium trim line. But alas ...

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
It seems like the "range" play with only ER RWD and aero wheel covers - but since it has the big glass roof, I assume that it's also the "Tesla" rival one as well, since the glass roof increases solar load and A/C usage, hurting range - and there's no heated seats, which reduce heating usage and would help range.

I'm not sure it really is as good of a "range" car as it could have been. It seems like it's in an awkward middle ground.
Not only aero wheel covers but the smaller of the wheel choices as well.

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I'm surprised it's not more popular tbh. It seems like the best bang for your buck version. More range and niceties than the select and a good discount compared to the premium. If it had the the better stereo and heated seats I probably would have gone with one instead of the premium.

Last edited:

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Not only aero wheel covers but the smaller of the wheel choices as well.
True.

I'd have gone for CA RT 1 if it had heated seats, probably. Definitely if it had the steel roof.

But as it stands, cranking the heater higher to make up for the heated seats is probably going to reduce the range to an ER Premium IMO.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm surprised it's not more popular tbh. It seems like the best bang for your buck version. More take range and niceties than the select and a good discount compared to the premium. If it had the the better stereo and heated seats I probably would have gone with one instead of the premium.
Exactly.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm surprised it's not more popular tbh. It seems like the best bang for your buck version. More take range and niceties than the select and a good discount compared to the premium. If it had the the better stereo and heated seats I probably would have gone with one instead of the premium.
Yup: Its the least expensive ER version (next up is a Premium ER for a few $k more).
True.

I'd have gone for CA RT 1 if it had heated seats, probably. Definitely if it had the steel roof.

But as it stands, cranking the heater higher to make up for the heated seats is probably going to reduce the range to an ER Premium IMO.
Meh I'm in Michigan and I rarely if ever turn on the heated seats in the Bolt--preconditioning when plugged in is a far better way to make the cabin livable in cold wx.

Even with the C-Max Energi and the Focus Electric before it I've found seat heat doesn't really buy you anything: If its that cold you can't feel the seat heat with all that warm clothing on.

And in a post-COVID world if its cold out or yucky in any way "Hey I'm working from home today" and the car sits nice and comfy in the garage.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
It is actually the best value trim. I would have opted for it had it had acoustic glass (which the premium has). I actually ordered it and changed via dealer to a premium for the acoustic glass. Now this was before the price cuts, and with the price cuts Rt1 would be more appealing. I think we will see more Rt1 after mass market availability in 2021/2022

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well, probably because there are some customers like me who:
  1. Want an ER battery with the maximum range, including the 4% bonus from aerocovers
  2. Are cheapskates and don't want to spend more than they have to
  3. As a consequence of #2, don't want to spend $2200 for things they don't really care about -such as the B&O stereo, "mood lights", or foot-activated power trunk.
  4. Don't live where heated seats are necessary

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would have gone for a RWD ER premium with the CR 1 badge. But this isn't Burger King, I don't get it my way. Unless I buy the badge aftermarket. :p

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
CA R
Well, probably because there are some customers like me who:
  1. Want an ER battery with the maximum range, including the 4% bonus from aerocovers
  2. Are cheapskates and don't want to spend more than they have to
  3. As a consequence of #2, don't want to spend $2200 for things they don't really care about -such as the B&O stereo, "mood lights", or foot-activated power trunk.
  4. Don't live where heated seats are necessary
This summarized it very well.

Mach E price comes down to:
  • CA Rt1 is a $1900 package above select, and Premium is an additional $2200 above CA Rt1.
  • ER is $5000
  • AWD is $2700
CA Rt1 is effectively the middle trim. So the question becomes "why have 3 trims?"

Now, there's additional rule that you can only do SR with Select, and can only do ER RWD with CA Rt1. I don't know why Ford does this. But it's probably a pricing strategy that aims at maximizing sales and profits
  • Make Premium price look less steep, for those who want ER AWD.
  • Sell more in places like California (largest BEV market in US, with warm weather), without cannibalizing Premium sales