California Wants To Make Bidirectional Charging Mandatory For New Electric Vehicles

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Probably thinking that EVs magically charge themselves and that this will solve the brown out problems we have around here. No need to build more power plants!
No doubt unlike last year when I was getting text messages and emails telling me not plug my EV in to charge I can now look forward a future where I will be getting them telling me plug it in to feed the grid, never mind that I may actually want that battery charge to drive some where.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ultimately I am not sure I want the utility to control the state of my vehicle; however, I would have to wait and see how it was implemented and controlled. I am not so sure you would just plug in and walk away and trust big brother.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
No doubt unlike last year when I was getting text messages and emails telling me not plug my EV in to charge I can now look forward a future where I will be getting them telling me plug it in to feed the grid, never mind that I may actually want that battery charge to drive some where.
Good lord, this rhetoric in an actual EV forum? That was during peak times which is when the utility charges the most for power and you would never plug your car in and have it charging anyways... And it was a request. Not a demand or anything anywhere near like that. Everybody with their air conditioning on uses way more power than the random people on random nights having their cars plugged in because of course most people don't charge every single night.

Tom Moloughney posted a great video talking to a few different electric company higher ups who basically all said that EVs being a giant battery and being able to back feed into the grid is going to be a large part of the future of energy management. But that is something that you will opt into, and you will be able to tell your car not to send power to the grid if you know you're going to go on a larger trip. But if you do opt-in you're going to get paid for it, and essentially have lower overall electric rates.

All this is also predicated on having better battery tech which will not degradate the battery on charging and discharging many times over its life.

Bottom line this is all good stuff and it is going to be coming regardless to all EVs and our entire electrical grid in the future.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good lord, this rhetoric in an actual EV forum? That was during peak times which is when the utility charges the most for power and you would never plug your car in and have it charging anyways... And it was a request. Not a demand or anything anywhere near like that. Everybody with their air conditioning on uses way more power than the random people on random nights having their cars plugged in because of course most people don't charge every single night.

Tom Moloughney posted a great video talking to a few different electric company higher ups who basically all said that EVs being a giant battery and being able to back feed into the grid is going to be a large part of the future of energy management. But that is something that you will opt into, and you will be able to tell your car not to send power to the grid if you know you're going to go on a larger trip. But if you do opt-in you're going to get paid for it, and essentially have lower overall electric rates.

All this is also predicated on having better battery tech which will not degradate the battery on charging and discharging anytimes over its life.

Bottom line this is all good stuff and it is going to be coming regardless to all EVs and our entire electrical grid in the future.
The vid

CmndrNemo

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Good lord, this rhetoric in an actual EV forum?
Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

I, for one, would be happy to sell the state 10% of my charge or whatever to help keep the state from needing rolling blackouts. Of course, like everyone, we don't know exactly how that will be implemented, but CA pushing manufacturers to make this relatively small and simple change that could be a game changer is a good thing, not bad. Some renewable energy sources can have ups and downs, if millions of batteries across the state or nation can help control those ebbs and flows it will allow us to lean more heavily on those sources.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Please share those emails and texts. Let's see what they really said.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I think this is the future.

Moreover, during Hurricane Sandy and afterwards some inventive people certainly McGyvered back-feeding their houses from the then-new Prius cars when their local power grids were down. Imagine, a generator on wheels with a viable muffler :D

Later, I personally met a fella who lives in a mountainous wooded part of Maryland and he McGyvered exactly this setup for powerline-snapping storms common in his area... when his Prius generator ran low on gasoline he just drove it down the mountain and one county over, filled up and was back in business, heating his house and working remotely, within 2 hours.

I'd love to see eventual interconnection designs and common standards. I'm sure we'll get there... hopefully in my lifetime. It just makes sense.

PeeKay

First Name
Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, if one pushes imagination a bit further. It might be hard to tell, in the future, if plugging in an EV, results in charging or discharging.
CA government seems to have found a legislative solution to an infrastructure problem.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/california...-charging-mandatory-for-new-electric-vehicles

In a nutshell, CA wants all new EVs sold in the state to have bi-directional charging in 2027. Could be an interesting change. 🤷‍♂️🐩
In general, I'm a fan of this idea as it will allow EVs to help stabilize the grid. The biggest concern I have is that we need more low end, low cost BEVs to bring electric driving to the masses. This is yet one more requirement (along with loads of auto safety features) that keep making cars more expensive in the US.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

All this is also predicated on having better battery tech which will not degradate the battery on charging and discharging many times over its life.

lol not that old chestnut of lower rates and magic rebates. I got in on the solar in the early days and later on added battery backup so I know full well the benefits of using your car for that however you only need to see the mess that has happened with net metering and the constant changes to the rates over that time to see what is going to happen with car to grid.

You may well be happy to op it with feeding the grid personally it is about time this state got the electricity grid of a 1st world country not the overpriced 3rd world one it currently has and mandating bi directional no matter how useful just gives them more incentive to do nothing about it as they just let all those evs pick up the slack.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
You may well be happy to op it with feeding the grid personally it is about time this state got the electricity grid of a 1st world country not the overpriced 3rd world one it currently has and mandating bi directional no matter how useful just gives them more incentive to do nothing about it as they just let all those evs pick up the slack.
Most of the state's electricity is provided by for-profit companies (PG&E, SCE, SDGE). For-profit companies like making a profit. They don't like spending potential shareholder dividends on capital expenses unless a) the demand is there, b) they are forced to do so. I wonder how exactly the state is supposed to force these companies to spend money on infrastructure when they clearly don't even like spending money for maintenance.

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium AWD ER; '21 Mini SE (EV)
Country flag
Hmmm. Most places with net metering for those with solar arrays pay less for what is fed to the grid than for what is drawn from the grid. Not sure that model is a winner for those with EVs. OTOH, drawing power from the EV to support the individual home use (i.e. not feeding back to the grid) doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
Sponsored