CalTrans opens 11 DC charging stations

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
https://dot.ca.gov/news-releases/news-release-2021-001

New Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers Now Available Along State Highways in Central California
Published: Jan 27, 2021

District: 7 - Los Angeles and Ventura counties
Phone: (213) 276-3390
District: 6 - Fresno,Kern, Kings, Madera and Tulare counties
Phone: (559) 444-2409
LOS ANGELES — Electric vehicle (EV) drivers now have more fast-charging options along state highways in Central California — including at the popular Tejon Pass Rest Area near the Los Angeles/Kern County line — with the installation of 22 new EV fast chargers at nine locations by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans).
“Fast chargers are essential to continue growing EV adoption in California and meeting our state’s goals for combating climate change. Expanding the availability of convenient fast-charging stations along state highways is significant for the future of California transportation.”
Toks Omishakin, Caltrans Director
2021-001-ev-chargers-tejon-pass-500w.jpg
Four new EV fast chargers are located at Tejon Pass Rest Area.The Level 3 DC fast chargers provide an approximate 80 percent charge in 30 minutes to EVs with fast-charging capability. The chargers have universal connectors and are able to serve all EVs on the market, including Teslas with an adapter. Charging is free with no time limit.

“With four new EV fast chargers at the Tejon Pass Rest Area on Interstate 5, and 18 others staggered approximately 40 miles apart, Caltrans has reduced recharging concerns for plug-in EV drivers on long-distance trips through the Central Valley.”
Tony Tavares, Caltrans District 7 Director (Los Angeles and Ventura counties)
According to the California Air Resources Board, 70 percent of California transportation sector greenhouse gas emissions come from light-duty vehicles, including passenger cars, SUVs and light-duty trucks.
“This project is a tremendous example of how public agencies can collaborate with the private sector to fill gaps in the zero emission vehicle (ZEV) market. More chargers throughout the state will help to incentivize the purchase of EVs, getting us closer to Governor Newsom’s goal of 100 percent ZEV sales by 2035.”
Tyson Eckerle, Deputy Director of ZEV Market Development at the Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz)
The Tejon Pass Rest Area is about 60 miles north of Los Angeles and 40 miles south of Bakersfield and is a popular stopping point for drivers traveling along I-5. The four new fast chargers are located on the southbound side of the interstate. Motorists traveling north on I-5 can exit at the Lebec off-ramp to Lebec Road, which loops over the highway, to access the fast chargers, including one that is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
New Electric Vehicle Fast Charger Locations:
  • Tejon Pass Rest Area Interstate 5
  • Junction Route 58/Route 184 in Bakersfield
  • Caltrans Maintenance Station on Route 41 and next to I-5 in Kettleman City
  • Caltrans Maintenance Station, 805 S. Lexington St., next to Route 99 in Delano
  • C.H. Warlow Rest Area NB/SB Route 99 in Kingsburg
  • Philip S. Raine Rest Area at SB Route 99 near Tulare
  • Philip S. Raine Rest Area at NB Route 99 near Tulare
  • Caltrans District 6 Office, 1283 N. West Ave., next to Route 99 in Fresno
  • Caltrans Maintenance Station, 125 W. Almond Ave., next to Route 99 in Madera
The $4.5 million project is funded by Caltrans and the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District in Fresno. The prime contractor is Cal Valley Construction of Fresno. BTCPower (Broadband TelCom Power, Inc.) of Santa Ana provided and installed the DC EV Fast Chargers with assistance from electrical subcontractor CSI (Civil Substations, Inc.) of Clovis. Pacific Gas and Electric and Southern California Edison are the electrical service providers.
In addition to the new chargers in the Central Valley, Caltrans has six Level 3 DC fast chargers in San Diego County, two in Monterey County and one in San Luis Obispo County, and two Level 2 charging stations in Napa County and three in Contra Costa County – all available to the public.
The U.S. Department of Energy has a searchable database on public alternative fuel stations in California and nationwide.
Motorists can find real-time traffic information and rest area locations at Caltrans’ Quickmap by clicking on the Options menu.
Caltrans reminds drivers to “Be Work Zone Alert” and to “Slow for the Cone Zone.”
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
WOW! Free Level 3 charging is a big deal. Now I just worry about how busy these stations will become…
They will be very popular especially free - people will drive out of the way for it

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
https://dot.ca.gov/news-releases/news-release-2021-001

New Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers Now Available Along State Highways in Central California
Published: Jan 27, 2021

District: 7 - Los Angeles and Ventura counties
Phone: (213) 276-3390
District: 6 - Fresno,Kern, Kings, Madera and Tulare counties
Phone: (559) 444-2409
LOS ANGELES — Electric vehicle (EV) drivers now have more fast-charging options along state highways in Central California — including at the popular Tejon Pass Rest Area near the Los Angeles/Kern County line — with the installation of 22 new EV fast chargers at nine locations by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans).

Ford Mustang Mach-E CalTrans opens 11 DC charging stations 2021-001-ev-chargers-tejon-pass-500w
Four new EV fast chargers are located at Tejon Pass Rest Area.The Level 3 DC fast chargers provide an approximate 80 percent charge in 30 minutes to EVs with fast-charging capability. The chargers have universal connectors and are able to serve all EVs on the market, including Teslas with an adapter. Charging is free with no time limit.

According to the California Air Resources Board, 70 percent of California transportation sector greenhouse gas emissions come from light-duty vehicles, including passenger cars, SUVs and light-duty trucks.

The Tejon Pass Rest Area is about 60 miles north of Los Angeles and 40 miles south of Bakersfield and is a popular stopping point for drivers traveling along I-5. The four new fast chargers are located on the southbound side of the interstate. Motorists traveling north on I-5 can exit at the Lebec off-ramp to Lebec Road, which loops over the highway, to access the fast chargers, including one that is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
New Electric Vehicle Fast Charger Locations:
  • Tejon Pass Rest Area Interstate 5
  • Junction Route 58/Route 184 in Bakersfield
  • Caltrans Maintenance Station on Route 41 and next to I-5 in Kettleman City
  • Caltrans Maintenance Station, 805 S. Lexington St., next to Route 99 in Delano
  • C.H. Warlow Rest Area NB/SB Route 99 in Kingsburg
  • Philip S. Raine Rest Area at SB Route 99 near Tulare
  • Philip S. Raine Rest Area at NB Route 99 near Tulare
  • Caltrans District 6 Office, 1283 N. West Ave., next to Route 99 in Fresno
  • Caltrans Maintenance Station, 125 W. Almond Ave., next to Route 99 in Madera
The $4.5 million project is funded by Caltrans and the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District in Fresno. The prime contractor is Cal Valley Construction of Fresno. BTCPower (Broadband TelCom Power, Inc.) of Santa Ana provided and installed the DC EV Fast Chargers with assistance from electrical subcontractor CSI (Civil Substations, Inc.) of Clovis. Pacific Gas and Electric and Southern California Edison are the electrical service providers.
In addition to the new chargers in the Central Valley, Caltrans has six Level 3 DC fast chargers in San Diego County, two in Monterey County and one in San Luis Obispo County, and two Level 2 charging stations in Napa County and three in Contra Costa County – all available to the public.
The U.S. Department of Energy has a searchable database on public alternative fuel stations in California and nationwide.
Motorists can find real-time traffic information and rest area locations at Caltrans’ Quickmap by clicking on the Options menu.
Caltrans reminds drivers to “Be Work Zone Alert” and to “Slow for the Cone Zone.”
Glad they are doing it - now if they could add one on 15 to vegas that will be great. They do have a low level level 2 at one of the rest stops but was cordoned off last two times I was at that stop in Nov (in my ICE but was checking out )

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
They will be very popular especially free - people will drive out of the way for it
They're only 50 kW units from the picture. I doubt many will camp out at the local "Maintenance Station" for 50 kW.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They should have made it cheap but not free. Reduce the flood of cheap b@$tards and leave it for those that need it. Also use the income generated for maintenance and additional charging stations. But this is California...easy to spend other peoples money...when you run out tax more and say its for the children.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
They're only 50 kW units from the picture. I doubt many will camp out at the local "Maintenance Station" for 50 kW.
I was assuming they be atleast 150kw

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
And not bother with other chargers in the area, drying up that revenue and they'll probably get yanked out.
This. I hate the whole free charging thing. Didn't work for J1772. Didn't work for Tesla. I guess the only good thing is that if they're in the middle of nowhere maybe people won't want to go so far out of their way.

Hope springs eternal! LOL

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
This. I hate the whole free charging thing. Didn't work for J1772. Didn't work for Tesla. I guess the only good thing is that if they're in the middle of nowhere maybe people won't want to go so far out of their way.

Hope springs eternal! LOL
The Tejon Pass one is in a good geographic spot if you're coming from the LA basin and worried about the climb over the pass to Bakersfield and perhaps just want some electron insurance. There's an EA station in that general area as well iirc. But at a fast-food restaurant. Bakersfield has several locations near I-55/ CR-99, soTejon Pass won't be a must-stop location for everyone. And while a 50kWh DCFC works out here, yeah not exactly ideal on the mainland.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
And while a 50kWh DCFC works out here, yeah not exactly ideal on the mainland.
They probably got it approved 3 years ago as part of a "high speed" electric highway program IIRC. The technology has moved far faster than government has.

The thing is, all you may need is a little juice to get to the top. Once there you won't have any trouble getting to the bottom! So the 50 kW should be OK and no objection to locating the chargers there.

The issue is that, since you can't provide enough of any free good or service, the free part messes things up as freeloaders who don't need a charge crowd out those who do and would be willing to pay for it.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I hope they expand this program and install some up in the Bay Area. There are lots of folks up here that would be pleased with free charging.;)

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
Having slept on it, I had some thoughts about what a free Level 3 charger at Tejon Pass specifically means in investment.

The rest stop is right after climbing up most of the height of the pass. I don't think it's too far fetched that some cars may report a big drop in remaining mileage after climbing up so high. It's not exactly normal to drive that elevation climb.

Having a free Level 3 charger for folks who unfortunately reach almost empty is much better than CalTrains constantly rescuing stranded cars on the road. Way cheaper and more importantly safer to provide a spot for fuel than to do emergency charges on the side of that pass.

Not saying it's the reason, but it's certainly a justifiable reason.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I hope they expand this program and install some up in the Bay Area. There are lots of folks up here that would be pleased with free charging.;)
With the sheer number of Teslas here, not sure they'd be ever accessible... :)
Sponsored