Can anyone just unplug your car when charging?

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I can't find anything in the manual. But in Teslas, you can't pull the cable out if the car is locked.

How does it work with the Mache? For both home charging and fast charging, if the car is locked can anyone just come and pull the cable out?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I can't find anything in the manual. But in Teslas, you can't pull the cable out if the car is locked.

How does it work with the Mache? For both home charging and fast charging, if the car is locked can anyone just come and pull the cable out?
J1772 home charging, yes. CCS charging, no.

To remove a J1772 connector from the car, you have to hold the release button and then pull. Some J1772 connectors (such as Clipper Creek's) have a hole through the side of the release button to attach a padlock, if it's a real concern... I don't think the mobile charger bundled with the car has that.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

To remove a J1772 connector from the car, you have to hold the release button and then pull. Some J1772 connectors (such as Clipper Creek's) have a hole through the side of the release button to attach a padlock, if it's a real concern... I don't think the mobile charger bundled with the car has that.
For CCS charging, you simply need to press the "Stop" button on screen to ruin someone's charge session, because most chargers don't care who you are, and will stop the session when that button is pressed - at which point the cable will unlock on the car end on a lot of vehicles. Even if it doesn't unlock, it will have stopped charging.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Why not while CCS charging? Anyone has access to the unlock button next to the charging port. Even if they didn't, they could kill the session from the charger screen.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Your defense is to setup notifications in the various apps so that your phone buzzes if someone unplugs your car. If you're not too far away you can go attend to the situation.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I had this concern. I wish they did lock. I can see this being a concern in areas where there's some hate for EVs or the mustang Mach-E.

The one upside is that you can be notified via your phone, if your car stops charging unexpectedly.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Your defense is to setup notifications in the various apps so that your phone buzzes if someone unplugs your car. If you're not too far away you can go attend to the situation.
You’ll want these notifications activated anyway. EA seems to stop mid-charge often enough that you’ll want to find out.

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
That sucks for J1772. I liked that option on my Kona. It prevents to be unplugged when you charge at an hotel or a store (many hotels and store like Ikea as free level 2 charging). If it's not locked, many don't care and will unplug you to serve themselves.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
On the other hand, what about the cars that just leave them on chargers after they are fully charged and people are waiting on a spot. Either way, seems like this situation at public chargers is going to get interesting when the market is flooded with EV's in about a year or so.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If there isn't already, someone can design a 3D printed lock device fairly easily.
This is how it looks on the Tesla:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can anyone just unplug your car when charging? 1615904715417

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If there isn't already, someone can design a 3D printed lock device fairly easily.
This is how it looks on the Tesla:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can anyone just unplug your car when charging? 1615904715417
How would that work on a non-Tesla? If it locks the latch down, you wouldn't be able to plug it into the car. And if you plug it into the car first, you wouldn't be able to get the lock device on it.

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I already printed one for Tesla and it was to lock the adaptor. I'll print another one and give it a try but I tought that it wouldn't work at first. I'll keep you in touch

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How would that work on a non-Tesla? If it locks the latch down, you wouldn't be able to plug it into the car. And if you plug it into the car first, you wouldn't be able to get the lock device on it.
Here's a video showing how it works on a Tesla. Does the MME not lock the charge port when you lock the vehicle?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does the MME not lock the charge port when you lock the vehicle?
It does not. You can use a small padlock for a portable EVSE, but that's really to stop somebody from stealing the EVSE, not from unplugging the car. That's why most commercial charging stations don't have a hole for a padlock.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
4 Hours after a completed charge, I have a MME blocking me from charging. The chargeport won't unlock even though the vehicle is COMPLETELY charged. Tesla lets this kind of uncertainty happen, (being able to unplug the vehicle) as it's owners aren't self centered fuck heads, FORD on the other hand.....
Joined at 1:20 AM to use foul language and call MME owners self centered because you can’t charge your Tesla? Classy. You only created an account to figure out how to unplug someone else’s car? Also classy.
Seeings as it’s about Bar Closing time in Portland I’m going to have to say, go home, your drunk. But don’t drive home.
Sponsored