Can anyone just unplug your car when charging?

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have never had someone pull the plug on my car, and the only time I have ever pulled the plug on someone else's car is when I was desperate on a road trip, thier session had ended, and I was also new to this. I have only once had my vehicle remain plugged in after a charge session had stopped in the year and a half of ownership.

On the flip side, I have helped strangers new to a network or EV ownership start charge sessions more than 7 times in time I have owned a Mach-E.

I really hope that charging etiquette is followed by all. The infrastructure is what it is at this time, the only thing we have any control over is our behavior. Help other EV owners out there, I know we are all in a rush, but we can make this easier for all of us if we just have some kindness, grace and cooperation.
For the 1st time ever I just did have my L2 charging handle pulled while charging. In the Highlands neighborhood of Louisville.

It was at a favorite local coffee shop in Louisville which provides one free L2.

A Nissan Leaf driver decided to disconnect me, 10 minutes after I plugged in at about 35% SOC. I noticed an hour later in the coffee shop. No one "fessed up" when I addressed the group.

15 minutes after I pulled out but relocated to a larger parking lot nearby, the driver appeared. She freely admitted she had unplugged me because some app had told her the L2 station was open.

Of course, on me noting that a charging station handle physically plugged into my car cannot be "open and available" and that this coffe shop EVSE is 1st come 1st serve, the lady tried to redirect and asked whether I had stayed to see who it was, and that that was "weird".

Of note, her Nissan Leaf locked the EVSE handle while it was charging, making this a "posession = 90% of the law" kind of move.

From now on I'll lock such EVSE handles to my car with the 4-digit spin lock I have on hand, for my TeslaTap. That way, there'll be no argument up front.

I knew this would someday happen... and it just happened. Eh...

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So I had my first charging confrontation today. I had to drive about 200 miles for a memorial service. So I was able to find a CCS one fast charger from EVGo. One of the 2 plugs was broken. So I plugged in and left for 2.5 hours. When I came back there was a very very angry person who started yelling at me that I had left my car charging. When I told her that my car stopped charging her an hour ago and she could’ve just gone and unplugged it she barked back at me that you never touch somebody else’s car. I realize in retrospect that I do have those tags and I should’ve left one that said OK to unplug when it gets to 80%. At the same time she kept braiding me until I finally told her that I was just coming from a memorial service and I’m sorry that her local driving had left her in need of a charge it I had to turn around and drive another 200 miles home and she had made her point.

But I’m not really sure if I committed and etiquette violation. I had not locked the charger to my car.
Thoughts on proper charge etiquette?
At a DC fast charger you really should be in the vicinity and move your car. Leaving it for 2 hours at a DCFC is akin to leaving it at a gas pump. Memorial or not (I’m sorry for your loss) you should have just charged afterward and waited with the car.

The farthest I have gone while at an EVGo is into an adjacent restaurant, where I can come out and move it when it hits 80%.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have had someone unplug my car for a hotel J1772, and airport J1772 but have never had anyone unplug when fast charging.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Has anyone verified this. See pic. Never knew if this worked. But there is a lock.

Screenshot_20230111-040451~2.png

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Has anyone verified this. See pic. Never knew if this worked. But there is a lock.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can anyone just unplug your car when charging? Screenshot_20230111-040451~2
only locks when using DCFC, not Lvl 2

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Surprised there’s not a way in Forscan to have it lock L2 as well, isn’t it the same lock position?

youdiscussedme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME CR1
Country flag
I've seen all kinds of other DIY on here (electronic and hardware kinds... I'm keenly interested to know if a DIY lock when it senses a a plug inserted would be possible. 🧐

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That's the only time I am worried about getting unplugged when DCFCing. Most of my L2 charging is at home in garage. To each their own.
Well, you should continue to worry then because there’s nothing to stop anyone from killing your charging session if they want to.

CynthiaP

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Maach-E
I already printed one for Tesla and it was to lock the adaptor. I'll print another one and give it a try but I tought that it wouldn't work at first. I'll keep you in touch
I'm very interested in finding a way to lock the charger at a public station.

Someone did unplug my Mach-e last week and plugged in their small electric BMW, leaving a snarky note that said: "Sorry! I'm empty and you're almost full [I was at 60%, how could they know how much range that meant or how far I was driving afterwards??], so I unplugged you."

I could not unplug them due to their locking mechanism, but I could de-activate the charger at the box. So, I decided they also had enough charge and returned the favor before leaving. I also left them a note regarding courtesy towards other e-vehicles.

Being able to lock the charger would be a great help!

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
I'm very interested in finding a way to lock the charger at a public station.

Someone did unplug my Mach-e last week and plugged in their small electric BMW, leaving a snarky note that said: "Sorry! I'm empty and you're almost full [I was at 60%, how could they know how much range that meant or how far I was driving afterwards??], so I unplugged you."

I could not unplug them due to their locking mechanism, but I could de-activate the charger at the box. So, I decided they also had enough charge and returned the favor before leaving. I also left them a note regarding courtesy towards other e-vehicles.

Being able to lock the charger would be a great help!
We went through this issue for the last 25 years when our cars only had a 100 mile range and chargers were limited. (Not an issue with our MME).

My advice: Signage

Ideally something like this that hangs on the charge cable when it is plugged in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can anyone just unplug your car when charging? 1708227872106

Or for the dashboard:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can anyone just unplug your car when charging? 1708228473484

Or
If you need the charge, we found a simple note under the wiper blade or on the dashboard near the charge port that says at what time (not percent) it is ok to unplug your car.

I printed a stack of my own note with a blank section where I just filled in what time It is ok to unplug. It makes it easy for people to do the right thing. Whenever I have used it, I have never had an issue.

The key is communicating what you need when you are at a charge station If you are not at the car.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
We went through this issue for the last 25 years when our cars only had a 100 mile range and chargers were limited. (Not an issue with our MME).

My advice: Signage

Ideally something like this that hangs on the charge cable when it is plugged in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can anyone just unplug your car when charging? 1708228473484

Or for the dashboard:

Or
If you need the charge, we found a simple note under the wiper blade or on the dashboard near the charge port that says at what time (not percent) it is ok to unplug your car.

I printed a stack of my own note with a blank section where I just filled in what time It is ok to unplug. It makes it easy for people to do the right thing. Whenever I have used it, I have never had an issue.

The key is communicating what you need when you are at a charge station If you are not at the car.
Yeah, but really this rather basic. Don’t unplug other people’s cars. Ever. A sign shouldn’t be necessary.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
Yeah, but really this rather basic. Don’t unplug other people’s cars. Ever. A sign shouldn’t be necessary.
Or if you are plugged in and are done charging or don’t need to charge, don’t block the spot.

Everyone wins if one communicates politely.
Sponsored