Can I lock my key fob in the car at times I don't want to carry it and use the door key pad to get in?

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e Black
Country flag
I am fed up with my phone disconnecting from over the car constantly while on a call so I am going to take advantage of customer satisfaction program 22B10, get a second key fob, log out of the ford pass app (my phone disconnects much less from over the car when not logged into the ford pass app) and start using the key fob. On my old Escape, I would just lock my key fob in my car when I went places that I didn't want to carry it around and then use the door key pad to get back in the car. Is it possible to do that in this car or will the door not lock with the key fob in the car?
Sponsored

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I don't think so, it beeps at you when I leave the keys in the car or trunk. If left in the trunk, it would refuse to close.

You can get around this by using a faraday pouch.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I am fed up with my phone disconnecting from over the car constantly while on a call so I am going to take advantage of customer satisfaction program 22B10, get a second key fob, log out of the ford pass app (my phone disconnects much less from over the car when not logged into the ford pass app) and start using the key fob. On my old Escape, I would just lock my key fob in my car when I went places that I didn't want to carry it around and then use the door key pad to get back in the car. Is it possible to do that in this car or will the door not lock with the key fob in the car?
Absolutely you can. All Ford vehicles work the same. Leave fob in car, close door, push 7/8 9/0 to lock it on the keypad.

OP
OP

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e Black
Country flag
Absolutely you can. All Ford vehicles work the same. Leave fob in car, close door, push 7/8 9/0 to lock it on the keypad.
Thank you! My Escape was older and didn't have the fancy features this one does, such as the key fob recognizing you when you are near the car, so I wasn't sure if I could still use this feature that I love. I have been just using my PAAK but since I am going to log out of the ford pass app, due to Ford Pass app causing so many disconnects while I am on the phone, and start using the key fob I wanted to be able to lock it in the care when I go certain places. Thank you again!

ScottMcCool

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Premium AWD ER MME
Country flag
I second this. One of my favorite features of the car (and my previous SHO). Leave the key fob in the car, press the last 2 keys to lock the car. Then I don't have to carry the key fob with me.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Note that if the key is in the car with a live battery in it, the car will start if someone gets into the car and pushes the button. As the child of a locksmith, I would advise against this. 🤔🐩

bdonpwn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E SR w/ Tech Pkg, 2006 Evo IX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Note that if the key is in the car with a live battery in it, the car will start if someone gets into the car and pushes the button. As the child of a locksmith, I would advise against this. 🤔🐩
Only if they enter the code first, right? Even if they break the window. Also, doesn’t the fob have to be in the center console/armrest in that little “slot”?

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
When we go scuba diving, I wrap the fob in aluminum foil and hide it in the car. That works too!

Jim

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Only if they enter the code first, right? Even if they break the window. Also, doesn’t the fob have to be in the center console/armrest in that little “slot”?
Doesn’t matter how they get in. The key is there. And don’t forget: Anywhere you can think of to hide the key a thief has already thought of. 😱🐩

bdonpwn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E SR w/ Tech Pkg, 2006 Evo IX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Doesn’t matter how they get in. The key is there. And don’t forget: Anywhere you can think of to hide the key a thief has already thought of. 😱🐩
dealer told me to leave the key here:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can I lock my key fob in the car at times I don't want to carry it and use the door key pad to get in? 3B8E7949-4ECA-46DC-AD07-293F91AE27E6

after which, if the exterior is locked with a code, the key is deactivated until code is re-entered. I’ve actually never tested it though and unsure if you need to explicitly program the key anyway beforehand. I assume the FOB is considered a “passive key” by default? The “press unlock button to reactivate” is confusing as it doesn’t say anything about re-entering the code. So dealer could be blowing smoke *shrug*

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can I lock my key fob in the car at times I don't want to carry it and use the door key pad to get in? 3420C6FD-7B23-475D-B4D2-88B65E9CB495

steve.panse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT PE
Country flag
When I leave the key in the car I put it in a small faraday pouch from Mission Darkness so the vehicle can’t be started. It also lives inside a combination safe installed in the armrest console.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
dealer told me to leave the key here:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can I lock my key fob in the car at times I don't want to carry it and use the door key pad to get in? 3420C6FD-7B23-475D-B4D2-88B65E9CB495

after which, if the exterior is locked with a code, the key is deactivated until code is re-entered. I’ve actually never tested it though and unsure if you need to explicitly program the key anyway beforehand. I assume the FOB is considered a “passive key” by default? The “press unlock button to reactivate” is confusing as it doesn’t say anything about re-entering the code. So dealer could be blowing smoke *shrug*

Well, if the battery's dead, the key works to start the car if it's put in that slot. 🤷‍♂️🐩

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The fob is deactivated in that it won't act like a person is in the car with a fob. It provides no functions. Open door with keypad, push unlock button on fob, it works.

If window is broken or entry is forced, alarm sounds. No idea if fob reactivated with unlock button push and then you can disarm alarm, but it should.

Leaving a fob in the car lowers security. Some insurance companies could use that against a claim of stolen car.
Sponsored