awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'm a new MME owner and I feel like I'm not visualizing this correctly. I think most people want to specify a max charge level that's under 100% for most of their charging in general. I'd personally like to tell the car that 80% is the limit unless I tell it to go higher.

But is it true that I need to configure this rule separately for each individual charging location, otherwise it'll default to 100%? And if the car's GPS location happens to be a little bit inaccurate while at a saved charging location, then it might mistake this for a new location and go straight to 100%? This sounds crazy to me. Is there no way to make 80% the default for all charging unless another rule overrides it?

I'm still getting to know this car, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. And thanks!
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
But is it true that I need to configure this rule separately for each individual charging location, otherwise it'll default to 100%? And if the car's GPS location happens to be a little bit inaccurate while at a saved charging location, then it might mistake this for a new location and go straight to 100%? This sounds crazy to me. Is there no way to make 80% the default for all charging unless another rule overrides it?
Yes, yes, and yes. It’s dumb. Hopefully global charge limit is coming to the next SYNC version.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Oh man. This is brutal. But thanks for your reply. I was hoping I was missing something obvious :(

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Yeah, I have a bunch of dummy addresses saved when the GPS goes a little wonk at my house and thinks I am down the street. Basically anytime it happens I save the address to set a max charge.
This is a great suggestion though and I wish it had it.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah, I have a bunch of dummy addresses saved when the GPS goes a little wonk at my house and thinks I am down the street. Basically anytime it happens I save the address to set a max charge.
This is a great suggestion though and I wish it had it.
Thanks, that sounds like a good workaround to help ensure it stays consistent with home charging. I guess it also helps to just pay close attention to the app, to make sure it's targeting the correct charge level each time you plug in.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Oh man. This is brutal. But thanks for your reply. I was hoping I was missing something obvious :(
In practice it isn't that bad. Dumb, but workable.

Most people have consistent charge locations except when on a trip, and it is simple to set up a charge location. Just add it during or after you charge for the first time and then it will always remember it. And I think only one time my car didn't know where it was when charging, so I have never really experienced a incorrect max charge at a saved location.

And if it charges to 100%, it isn't a big deal. I charge to 100% on a weekly basis anyway. Daily it is 90%, but before I leave for my weekly commute I charge to 100%.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
In practice it isn't that bad. Dumb, but workable.

Most people have consistent charge locations except when on a trip, and it is simple to set up a charge location. Just add it during or after you charge for the first time and then it will always remember it. And I think only one time my car didn't know where it was when charging, so I have never really experienced a incorrect max charge at a saved location.

And if it charges to 100%, it isn't a big deal. I charge to 100% on a weekly basis anyway. Daily it is 90%, but before I leave for my weekly commute I charge to 100%.
Thanks. Those are all really good points. I'd prefer not to think about it and just trust that it never tries to go above 80, but it's not the end of the world to spend some time plugging in the locations.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Thanks. Those are all really good points. I'd prefer not to think about it and just trust that it never tries to go above 80, but it's not the end of the world to spend some time plugging in the locations.
You can’t really “plug in locations”. You have to actually charge at each one.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You can’t really “plug in locations”. You have to actually charge at each one.
Yeah, sorry, bad wording on my part. I'm aware you have to charge at a new location first, then save a configuration for it.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Keep in mind that if you are at a charge-for-payment public station, most of these stations will charge an insane amount per minute once the car stops charging but is still connected To prevent people from hogging the charging space all day. 😊🐩

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Keep in mind that if you are at a charge-for-payment public station, most of these stations will charge an insane amount per minute once the car stops charging but is still connected To prevent people from hogging the charging space all day. 😊🐩
Most will have some (fairly short) grace period. 10 minutes is common.
That was one of the benefits of the original DCFC charging curve - it was so slow above 80%, it never stopped charging! 😂

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Most will have some (fairly short) grace period. 10 minutes is common.
That was one of the benefits of the original DCFC charging curve - it was so slow above 80%, it never stopped charging! 😂
This is a great point, and I noticed this as well. I was used to it slowing to a trickle when it hit 80%, but now it hits 90% before I realize it. You have to pay closer attention!

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
So you can't just program a standard % limit???