Can I use a 3-prong 240 volt plug with an adapter?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
For the majority of vehicle operators, setting current limitations from the vehicle is the more dangerous approach.

There is *no way* for any vehicle to communicate with a household circuit and answer the question "how much current can you safely carry?"

One of the reasons we use EVSEs like the Ford Mobile charger or a Grizzl-E is to answer that question.

In the case of the Grizzl-E, it's the installer's responsibility to program in the correct answer via dip switches.

Ford's mobile charger assumes that national electric codes designed for fire safety were followed. If a 14-50 connector is plugged into the Ford mobile charger, then per the NEC limitations on the use of that type of plug and receptacle, and limitations of the EVSE itself, the EVSE informs the car that it may draw up to 30-32 amps of current. This is the right way to do it. The only bad thing is that Ford isn't selling mobile charger connectors for other NEMA receptacles like 14-30 and so on.

European Mach-E owners are able to buy a variety of connectors for their various standards/limits. Maybe someday we'll have something comparable.
with stock mobile charger:
14-50 receptacle with 6awg wires and 50amp breaker = good
'regular' 120v outlet with 15a circuit breaker = good

....everything else is questionable until an electrician clears it
Sponsored

aevans17

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e premium Awd
Country flag
Unless I missed it (or, more likely, didn’t understand), there was never an answer in this thread for those of us who do have a properly installed, 50A, three prong 6-50R receptacle. Is there an adapter I can buy to plug my MME into it? If so, what and where? Thank you!
https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Welding-Charger-Connector-Connecter/dp/B07V94TD6P
Yes it works and yes I've tested it with the Ford Charger until I was able to install a 14-50 outside my house.

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just a reminder (this is already addressed in several other threads). Many houses have an electric dryer plug and circuit in or near the garage. I was tempted to think of using the Ford mobile EVSE on this circuit with a plug adapter. WRONG! Dryer plug is NEMA 10-30. MME mobile evse 240v plug is 14-50 and draws 32 amps, not adjustable. The old dryer circuit cannot safely handle more than 24 amps. Therefore, it would be unsafe, probably popping the circuit breaker or overheating circuit parts to use the Ford mobile charger on the old 30 amp wiring/circuit breaker. Until Ford makes the MME charger and/or mobile evse limitable to 24 amps, these old electric dryer circuits should not be used with the Ford mobile evse. (Ford 2022 manual has a safety warning that says don't use their mobile charger on an ungrounded circuit, either.)
Third party evse are available which can limit this plug-in circuit to 24 amps and use the existing 10-30 plug (functioning groundwire needs to be assured). Otherwise, a new circuit and plug capable of handling the Ford charger/mobile evse 32 amps needs to be installed. Of course, the hard wired wall charger capable of handling the 48 amp max of the MME is the fastest charging alternative for the home connection. I hope I have that right. electricians?

Last edited:

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Just a reminder (this is already addressed in several other threads). Many houses have an electric dryer plug and circuit in or near the garage. I was tempted to think of using the Ford mobile EVSE on this circuit with a plug adapter. WRONG! Dryer plug is NEMA 10-30. MME mobile evse 240v plug is 14-50 and draws 32 amps, not adjustable. The old dryer circuit cannot safely handle more than 24 amps. Therefore, it would be unsafe, probably popping the circuit breaker or overheating circuit parts to use the Ford mobile charger on the old 30 amp wiring/circuit breaker. Until Ford makes the MME charger and/or mobile evse limitable to 24 amps, these old electric dryer circuits should not be used with the Ford mobile evse. (Ford 2022 manual has a safety warning that says don't use their mobile charger on an ungrounded circuit, either.)
Third party evse are available which can limit this plug-in circuit to 24 amps and use the existing 10-30 plug (functioning groundwire needs to be assured). Otherwise, a new circuit and plug capable of handling the Ford charger/mobile evse 32 amps needs to be installed. Of course, the hard wired wall charger capable of handling the 48 amp max of the MME is the fastest charging alternative for the home connection. I hope I have that right. electricians?
Yep. BTW SplitVolt is the cheapest 24a charger out there.

heywardjr

First Name
Heyward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Thanks. I just changed it to 40amps. Another buddy of mine told me the same.
Sponsored