Can I use a 3-prong 240 volt plug with an adapter?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My 2010 Tesla Roadster was plugged into 14/50 4 wire circuit. I could
dial in any amps and time to charge on the screen in the car.
This was possible then but why not now ?
Some things improve with time.

Note the year. DO NOT DO THIS:

AMERICAN ELECTRICIANS’ HANDBOOK
7th Edition 1953 McGraw-Hill
MEASURING, TESTING, AND INSTRUMENTS

154. Electricians often test circuits for the presence of voltage by touching the conductors with the fingers. This method is safe where the voltage does not exceed 250 and is often very convenient for locating a blown-out fuse or for ascertaining whether or not a circuit is alive. Some men can endure the electric shock that results without discomfort whereas others cannot. Therefore, the method is not feasible in some cases. Which are the outside wires and which is the neutral wire of a 115/230-volt, three-wire system can be determined in this way by noting the intensity of the shock that results by touching different pairs of wires with fingers. Use the method with caution and be certain that the voltage of the circuit does not exceed 250 before touching the conductors. (This and several paragraphs that follow are taken from Electrical Engineering).

155. The presence of low voltages can be determined by tasting. The method is feasible only where the pressure is but a few volts and hence is used only in bell and signal work. Where the voltage is very low, the bared ends of the conductors constituting the two sides of the circuit are held a short distance apart on the tongue. If voltage is present a peculiar mildly burning sensation result, which will never be forgotten after one has experienced it. The taste is due to the electrolytic decomposition of the liquids on the tongue which produces a salt having a taste. With voltages of 4 or 5 volts, due to as many cells of a battery, it is best to test for the presence of voltage by holding one of the bared conductors in the hand and touching the other to the tongue. Where a terminal of the battery is grounded, often a taste can be detected by standing on moist ground and touching a conductor from the other battery terminal to the tongue. Care should be exercised to prevent the two conductor ends from touching each other at the tongue, for if they do a spark can result that may burn.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Bwahahaha! I only use the taste method on food and drink. ?

Otherwise, I prefer a TRMS VOM.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
My 2010 Tesla Roadster was plugged into 14/50 4 wire circuit. I could
dial in any amps and time to charge on the screen in the car.
This was possible then but why not now ?
How it should work is you're only able to reduce (but not increase) the charging amps in the car from what the EVSE says is available. So if you're plugged into a 14-50 outlet the slider should go from 0-40A.

In theory Ford could sell a dryer plug attachment for the mobile charger that would set it to do 24A.

In practice you will have to buy a separate EVSE set for dryer plug such as this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lectron...ctric-Vehicle-Charger-EVCharge10-30/305916167

Clipper creek also sells dryer outlet charger on their website. FYI there are two kinds of dryer outlets and you should check what kind you have. Before about 1996 they were 3-prong (NEMA 10-30) and newer are 4-prong (NEMA 14-30). Make sure you buy the right kind.

Do not use an adapter!

DaveHsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E on order
Occupation
manager
Country flag
In theory Ford could sell a dryer plug attachment for the mobile charger that would set it to do 24A.
Yes, I would think Ford could make a NEMA 10-30 adapter available for the mobile charger that would automatically set it to a lower amperage. We already have two adapters included. Maybe they worry these older circuits are not a good everyday plan ....

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yes, I would think Ford could make a NEMA 10-30 adapter available for the mobile charger that would automatically set it to a lower amperage. We already have two adapters included. Maybe they worry these older circuits are not a good everyday plan ....
It would be nice if Ford did make additional adapters for the mobile charger. I purchased a 10-30 adapter for my Tesla Mobile Connector when I took delivery of my Model 3 since my dryer was on the other side of the door from garage into the house. I used this as short term solution as I had free charging at work and sometimes 120V charging was not enough when I needed home charging. After I changed jobs, I bought my Tesla Wall Connector as a long term solution and the 10-30 adapter is in the carrying bag with the 5-15 and 14-50 adapters.
10-30 and 14-30 adapters would be nice, giving a 24 amp solution and a number of people have dryer outlets in or accessible to garage. Also gives a solution when adding 50 amps will overload the current panel capacity but 30 amps will work.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
NEMA 14-30 would be nice. Some RV campsite and power locations are using either 14-50 or 14-30.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
FYI the older 3-prong dryer outlet type (NEMA 10-30) is technically illegal for charging since it doesn't provide a ground for safety. Many companies such as Clipper Creek do not provide an adapter for this due to legal reasons.

https://clippercreek.com/does-clippercreek-offer-an-evse-that-can-plug-into-a-nema-10-30-receptacle/

The newer 4-prong style (NEMA 14-30) is okay to use with an appropriate EVSE.
Oof, I didn't realize the NEMA 10-30 is hot/hot/neutral rather than hot/hot/ground. In that case I completely agree with Clipper Creek - not a good idea to put a charger on that.

The 6-50 is hot/hot/ground, which is good to go for most chargers with an appropriately rated adapter (and a circuit with a 50A breaker and #6 wire (#8 in a few cases)). Currently unavailable, but this one on Amazon was only $15, is nice and beefy, and worked well without undue heating: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R7W8DN2

KYMACH-E

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD X
Country flag
An electrician is on the way and he confirmed that the Ford charger would trip the circuit, so it appears I a getting a new outlet as mentioned above.
This is good education for everyone. I assumed that my 220v dryer outlet which is right next to my garage would be usable and it is definitely not usable.
Was this because if the amperage or the wiring configuration? I am going to be staying at a friends house and they have 50A three prong outlet for a welder.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can I use a 3-prong 240 volt plug with an adapter? 7169147F-E6DD-43F7-9DB7-414B96639BF2

Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME-GTPE
Country flag
Also rememeber to consider GFI as most chargers should be on a non gfi circuit which the dryer vent is probably on if not the breaker being gfi if was a dedicated line (which be odd)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Was this because if the amperage or the wiring configuration? I am going to be staying at a friends house and they have 50A three prong outlet for a welder.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can I use a 3-prong 240 volt plug with an adapter? 7169147F-E6DD-43F7-9DB7-414B96639BF2
That looks like a 10-50 outlet. You’ll need an adapter to use the Ford Mobile Charger 14-50 plug. Be sure to check the rated amperage on the adapter.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Wow, that's an antique Leviton NEMA 10-50 outlet! I wonder how old it is, has to be at least 50 years?

Here's my advice for NEMA 10 series outlets, which are obsolete and use a neutral instead of a ground. Have an electrician inspect the wiring to the panel, and make sure the neutral is bonded to ground at the breaker location (typically the main panel). If the outlet is wired to a garage sub-panel where the neutral isn't bonded, then it's not going to be safe to use. A broken neutral between the garage and house could cause the car to become energized. If it's safe (breaker located in bonded panel), you will need a 10-50 to 14-50 adapter.

Also, even if it's wired correctly I'd be a little wary of the age of the wiring, car charging can put a decent load on it for many hours and cause heat buildup vs. a welder that may only draw high amps for a few minutes. If there are any bad connections they might start to melt after a while. I'd be carefully monitoring the voltage drop and heat of the prongs, cord, breaker, etc. until the circuit has proven itself charging for several hours without issue.

JMCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT PE
Country flag
Unless I missed it (or, more likely, didn’t understand), there was never an answer in this thread for those of us who do have a properly installed, 50A, three prong 6-50R receptacle. Is there an adapter I can buy to plug my MME into it? If so, what and where? Thank you!

heywardjr

First Name
Heyward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just installed the CharePoint Home charger along with a 50amp 240V line. I have the option of setting it to 40 amps or 50 (60, 70 and 80 too). I'll try it on 50 and see if I see heat anywhere along the line as it is exposed in the basement under the first floor (unfinished basement). I will keep the Lincoln charger in the trunk in case I need it on the road or 120volt usage.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I just installed the CharePoint Home charger along with a 50amp 240V line. I have the option of setting it to 40 amps or 50 (60, 70 and 80 too). I'll try it on 50 and see if I see heat anywhere along the line as it is exposed in the basement under the first floor (unfinished basement). I will keep the Lincoln charger in the trunk in case I need it on the road or 120volt usage.
In order to be code-compliant (and safe) you need to limit the current to 40A on a 50A circuit.
Sponsored