JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
As in "recreational towing" (the name of the topic in most owner's manuals): Can it be towed 4 down or on a dolly? Would love to drag it around behind our RV.

Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. The answer for most EV's is NO unless its FWD then, sometimes, it may be towed on a dolly (like our Bolt).

I haven't seen any mention of this and am expecting to not see anything until Ford publishes an owner's manual. I'm also resigned to the fact that it will likely be NO.
Sponsored

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
My guess would be no and all towing will be on back of a truck like the Tesla’s I would assume

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I from what I've seen it should not be towed with any wheels down except in emergency situations for very short distances and very slow speeds.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
People have towed teslas before to recharge the battery, and it gains more than a mile per mile being towed. I doubt you would want to do that for long trips or without someone in the drivers seat. However, it might be an interesting idea for those with range anxiety.

Looks like the Tesla S and X have a neutral mode you can leave the vehicle in, but model 3 version requires a driver to stay seated. Who knows if Ford will support being towed without a driver, but worse case you should be able to use it to recharge with a driver as it will not be any different than going down hill...

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. The answer for most EV's is NO unless its FWD then, sometimes, it may be towed on a dolly (like our Bolt).
If it's FWD, then you just turn the car around and put the read on the dolly. I have seen cars behind motor homes like that. It's creepy, but don't think it's illegal... AWD will probably be an issue unless Ford supports a towing mode...

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
If it's FWD, then you just turn the car around and put the read on the dolly. I have seen cars behind motor homes like that. It's creepy, but don't think it's illegal... AWD will probably be an issue unless Ford supports a towing mode...
RWD I think you mean, but I couldn't do that with my dolly as it requires the wheels on the dolly to be able to steer as you turn corners (and last I checked the Mach-E doesn't have 4-wheel-steering).

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
RWD I think you mean, but I couldn't do that with my dolly as it requires the wheels on the dolly to be able to steer as you turn corners (and last I checked the Mach-E doesn't have 4-wheel-steering).
Oops, yes I meant RWD... The other option would be to get a trailer meant to drive a car onto...

Kgkendall

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi Platinum
Occupation
Management
Country flag
Big miss for Mach E. I can flat tow my 2018 Ford Fusion Energi Platinum. It even has a TOW setting built in. Fantastic option. As an RV enthusiast, we can connect and go in less than 5-minutes. I’ll move to a different manufacturer if Ford doesn’t continue to offer such easy features. Thanks!

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Big miss for Mach E. I can flat tow my 2018 Ford Fusion Energi Platinum. It even has a TOW setting built in. Fantastic option. As an RV enthusiast, we can connect and go in less than 5-minutes. I’ll move to a different manufacturer if Ford doesn’t continue to offer such easy features. Thanks!
Note that there has been no official word from Ford if the Mach-E will be flat towable (or dolly towable) at all. Most of this thread--especially my comments--have been just speculation.

My guess would be no (don't know of any BEV that is flat towable--the Ford Energi models aren't BEVs); this is just a guess though (less design work on Ford's part).

I dolly tow our Bolt (and used the same dolly on our old C-Max Energi, an Escape, and the Focus Electric--I only towed the Focus Electric for about 10 miles as the owner's manual for that stated not to tow the Focus at all).
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can it BE towed? boltallreadycloseu

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
My guess would be no (don't know of any BEV that is flat towable--the Ford Energi models aren't BEVs); this is just a guess though (less design work on Ford's part).
You are correct. The Ford eSource book says the vehicle should not be towed unless it has all 4 wheels on a trailer/flatbed.

It can be towed with wheels down in emergency situations, very slow and short distances.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Not necessarily: If designed such they could easily be towable. Either by using a disconnect (like a clutch) or an induction motor.

Its just that current models aren't towable doesn't mean some future model won't be.

At the moment I would guess that the market for a towable EV is so small that it simply isn't worth the effort required (especially since a front-wheel-drive EV can be used in a similar manner by towing on a dolly--see pic above).

Kgkendall

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Management
Country flag
Love my Ford Fusion Energi Platinum; it can run in full electric or hybrid mode. It is flat towable as are all Energi models. This is my 3rd. Easy tow option; put in neutral, it releases steering, turn off and go. Had a Jeep Rubicon before which had a manual transmission and was also flat towable. I hope Ford continues to integrate a flat tow option. Trailers and dollies are too much hassle. Appreciate the forum!

Mister Mitch

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Flex Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Country flag
I don't see this being any different that my current vehicle. You can't tow it with 4 down. Or 2 down either. I own an AWD vehicle. This car needs to be on a flat bed.

Geesh, if you can own a RV, you can likely afford a flat bed trailer. Your hauling a car. A heavy car, but a car none the less.

Kgkendall

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Management
Country flag
We have a trailer - but towing it becomes problematic - as some campgrounds charge you to dolly it off somewhere and most don't allow you to keep it at your campsite.
Sponsored