Wilrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
My wife and I are considering buying a Mach-E. I have heard rumors of it having issues in severe cold weather. We may have temps below zero 10 days in a row here in Minneapolis, MN. Any insight?

Also - my wife hasn’t seen one in person and no dealers have them. Anyone in Minnesota want to connect and show yours off so we can decide to order one or not?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
At the end of the month is national drive electric week, so if you check here: https://driveelectricweek.org/ you might be able to find an event near you to see many different EV's in person. Ford absolutely tested the Mach E in the UP during winter, and there are many who've bought one in cold climates like yours. All EV's lose some range when it gets really cold because the battery chemistry is affected below freezing, and the electric heating is also an additional drain on the battery. However, the Mach E should not lose more than 35% range, but I can't confirm that because I didn't get mine until mid February and where I live in NJ it rarely goes below 20 degrees.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My wife and I are considering buying a Mach-E. I have heard rumors of it having issues in severe cold weather. We may have temps below zero 10 days in a row here in Minneapolis, MN. Any insight?
Here in Alaska, in March, my AWD FE had no problems with the cold. Snow was on the ground for the whole month (typical) and temps ranged from -32F to +37F. The car spent half its nights in a heated garage and half outside, not plugged in. The car didn't complain (at least when I was within earshot). I did see the expected ~40-50% decrease in range, though.

I did get stuck once on a friend's very steep, unplowed driveway in a snowstorm but I blame that mostly on the OEM all-weather (joke) tires and partially on poor technique in an unfamiliar vehicle. (I had only owned it a week at that point). This week I had Continental WinterContact TS 860 S winter tires installed - a bit early to test in snow, but I am extremely impressed with the grip and quietness. I can't detect any increase in road noise.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Also - my wife hasn’t seen one in person and no dealers have them. Anyone in Minnesota want to connect and show yours off so we can decide to order one or not?
Deliveries started in February. Look back at the older posts from folks who took delivery then in the upper Midwest and Canada. They thought the Mach Es did great.

Use title search terms like cold or Canada.

OP
OP

Wilrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Deliveries started in February. Look back at the older posts from folks who took delivery then in the upper Midwest and Canada. They thought the Mach Es did great.

Use title search terms like cold or Canada.
Some people reported issues, which is why I’m asking

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
My all season tires were great in the snow. Lost range but it performed well in the cold.
The heating was great.
Going up the mountain in the snow I was doing dry weather speeds and cornering without issue. That didn't help range either. ?

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I received my vehicle on 2/5 where we had a couple of weeks with highs in the teens (F). Mach E did great, except my range was about 1.7 mi/kWh vs about 3.5 in warmer temps.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
No issues with my CA Rt1 in Michigan's cold and snow in February and beyond (note RWD only).

Sure don't go driving it around after that 12" blizzard but it handles quite well on slippery and snowy surfaces.

cckorn

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
We live in Maple Grove here. Just got ours last month, so we have not experienced the cold yet. Local commuting even with reduced distance should not be an issue. Looking forward to AWD electric in the snow this year.