jericho

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
c8, Red '21 FE Mach E (traded), '23 Red GT
Country flag
i thought autohold would also help apply the parking brake automatically when i turn off the car... i was wrong..
is there any way to automate the parking brake such that it applies when i turn off the car in P?
is there a setting i am missing?

thanks.
Sponsored

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
i thought autohold would also help apply the parking brake automatically when i turn off the car... i was wrong..
is there any way to automate the parking brake such that it applies when i turn off the car in P?
is there a setting i am missing?

thanks.
According to the Owner's Manual, the parking brake will automatically be applied on large slopes:

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION POSITIONS
Park (P)​
This position locks the driveline and prevents the wheels from turning. Come to a complete stop before putting your vehicle into and out of park (P). A tone sounds when you shift to park (P).​
The electric parking brake could apply when you shift to park (P) without the brake pedal fully pressed. The electric parking brake applies when you shift to park (P) on large slopes. The electric parking brake releases with the drive away release function or manually.​
Note: A warning tone sounds if you open the driver door and you have not shifted the transmission selector to park (P).​

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
According to the Owner's Manual, the parking brake will automatically be applied on large slopes:
I assume this is to avoid stuck brakes because of rust. With electric vehicles that is a real problem, even more so if you have one pedal driving.
There is simply too little wear on the brakes.

Nails1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Select
Country flag
Actually, actuating the brakes by engaging the parking brake every time you shift into park would keep the brakes moving freely. My driveway is on a gentle slope and rolls in park after I take my foot off the brake. Ford should make auto parking brake when shifting into park a user selectable option via a software update.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Some have stated that after a recent (though unsure which) OTA update the parking brake auto-applies when the car is put into Park. I have the latest updates (other than the very last one which was released after the reports of this change), yet my car still doesn't auto-set the parking brake. I've tried this multiple times and it definitely doesn't. It seems that the behavior might have been unintended by Ford and at any rate it is inconsistent. But I agree it would be a nice feature to have.

squirrels2nuts

First Name
squirrelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Occupation
Pharmacy
Country flag
It might be by location, or it might be learning from your behaviour. But my car only does it when i park at home on a slight incline, and not at work (flat).
Sponsored