Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Our Mach e is scheduled to arrive in January or February. We are getting our garage prepared for mobile charging and have an electrician scheduled to install our 240 circuit. At first we were thinking about hardwiring a Connected charger at our home and leaving the mobile charger in the vehicle. We don't really need the incremental charging speed of the connected charger, so we were talking about whether we should just equip our garage with a 50amp plug (rather than hardwire a charger) and get a 2nd mobile charger to leave at the house and carry the other one with us. However, as I look on the Ford accessories site, I really can't find an option to buy a 2nd mobile charger. So my question to the forum is 1) does my logic make sense to just get a 2nd mobile charger and 2)do you know if you can order one from Ford?
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Our Mach e is scheduled to arrive in January or February. We are getting our garage prepared for mobile charging and have an electrician scheduled to install our 240 circuit. At first we were thinking about hardwiring a Connected charger at our home and leaving the mobile charger in the vehicle. We don't really need the incremental charging speed of the connected charger, so we were talking about whether we should just equip our garage with a 50amp plug (rather than hardwire a charger) and get a 2nd mobile charger to leave at the house and carry the other one with us. However, as I look on the Ford accessories site, I really can't find an option to buy a 2nd mobile charger. So my question to the forum is 1) does my logic make sense to just get a 2nd mobile charger and 2)do you know if you can order one from Ford?
You'd have to ask your dealer, I'm sure they'd have a way. I would say it is probably smarter to just get a plug installed instead and by a plug in charger that you can mount on the wall. Based off the price of the Ford Connected Charge Station, I'd assume they'd charge $200 to $400 for the mobile charger, it would be cheaper or the same price to just get another charging brand that you can somewhat mount for cord management.

I still haven't gotten a "permanent" charger for home. I planned to do what you want to, keep mobile in the car and have one at home, but the mobiles been the sole workhorse. The thing that sucks is you can only mount the brick part of the charger and the cord is long. A mounted one has better cord management and will give you a cleaner look.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Rather than a second Ford Mobile Charger, once you get the NEMA 14-50 plug installed into your garage, look into getting a Plug in version of something like the ChargePoint Flex or other brand as opposed to the hardwired version...it will be portable if you move someday.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
You don't need to buy another portable charger from Ford. You can get an aftermarket brand - there are tons out there. I cannot recommend any, because I decided to get a wall mounted direct wired charger so I can charge at 48 Amps. The portable charger is 32 Amps.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I should also mention any Ford part pricing changes based upon dealership using the online Ford Parts website. You can also use a dealer-direct parts website for better pricing.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The basic grizzl-e is probably cheaper than the ford mobile charger. They have a portable version for a little bit more too.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I would bet that the Ford Mobile Charger is treated as a part of the car rather than as an accessory. Factory parts pricing can be rather high. I would suggest, as many already have, going with a third-party plug-in charger.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
According to the link @connoisseurr posted, the Ford Mobile Charger costs $570.88, which is not a good value.

If you are looking for a well-regarded basic charger, the Grizzl-E Classic is popular on this forum and costs $399 if purchased from their website - link.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I like to leave the mobile charger connected in my garage so I might be interested in buying a second one if the price was right!

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Before you buy a 2nd charger ... check with your electric utility. Many of them offer rebates to buy/install home charging equipment. My utility (DTE Energy) offers $500 rebate but only on certain models. But that rebate made the wall-mounted charger ridiculously cheap.

Any charger with a J1772 plug (which is pretty much everything except a Tesla home charger) should work with the car. It need not be a Ford branded charger.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Before you buy a 2nd charger ... check with your electric utility. Many of them offer rebates to buy/install home charging equipment. My utility (DTE Energy) offers $500 rebate but only on certain models. But that rebate made the wall-mounted charger ridiculously cheap.

Any charger with a J1772 plug (which is pretty much everything except a Tesla home charger) should work with the car. It need not be a Ford branded charger.
Great point about checking for rebates from your electric company. I just signed up to get $300 back for the plug-in/portable charger I bought, but need to have certain parameters.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Actually, Tesla is marketing a J1772 home charger now. It’s pretty price competitive if you don’t mind having their Industrial Design and logo in your garage. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/tesla-starts-selling-a-j1772-home-charger.11008
Sponsored