Can You Charge A Tesla Or Any Other EV While Camping? Let’s Find Out!

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I like this experiment (and the earlier one that TFL did with the Generac), not so much for its practicality, but for its usefulness in addressing a segment of the population that off-roads. It's also useful in showing the sheer hurdles in EV charging in situations where petrol handily wins. An ICE off-roader can easily carry with him or her 5 gallons of gas weighing in around 30 lbs and have enough energy even in the worst of situations to get to safety, whereas an EV'er would need that same gas plus a $5k generator weighing in over 200lbs!

I know there is a thread here on the forum talking about cables and adapters (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/charging-supplies-for-road-trips-a-list-with-links.631/) but honestly that thread is difficult to follow for us non-EV'ers. It'd be incredibly awesome if someone who has the adapters could post pics or make a video like this one to show us noobs how it's done, for example, at an RV park and the like!

Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
LOL I've done that...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can You Charge A Tesla Or Any Other EV While Camping? Let’s Find Out! bigload

This is my Focus Electric charging with its included Level-1 EVSE using the 4kW generator on our RV. (The RV is covered for winter.)

I did it more to put a load on the generator than to charge the FFE (given that I'd be waiting for a while with the Level-1).

That is the thing: You need a pretty beefy generator to give you the 240V needed for any appreciable charge (or two smaller Honda's connected together).

It really isn't practical to charge an EV while boondocking.

If, on the other hand, you do have access to a 240V 50amp plug then you're golden (which many state parks and private campgrounds do offer).

Another experiment I've done: can you regen through a car wash?.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This also means you can charge your Mach E off your F-150 Hybrid!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is why I've always felt series hybrids would be perfect if they can make small/light enough engines to crank out enough power (maybe 20,000 watts) to actually power the electric drivetrain on the fly. Then you truly have the best of both works -- the benefits of an electric motor full-time, but the range that gas offers when you run out of battery juice.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
The Ford mobile charger will be perfect for camping out of the Mach-E if you are at an RV site. I'm looking at one of those tents that connects to the back of the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can You Charge A Tesla Or Any Other EV While Camping? Let’s Find Out! tent

Crank that a/c or heat.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
The Ford mobile charger will be perfect for camping out of the Mach-E if you are at an RV site. I'm looking at one of those tents that connects to the back of the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can You Charge A Tesla Or Any Other EV While Camping? Let’s Find Out! tent

Crank that a/c or heat.
I would love this, but my wife’s idea of camping is the “value” resort at DisneyWorld.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I want to be able to use the heater to keep me warm so I can camp for three seasons. I think being in the back will be too cramped.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I would love this, but my wife’s idea of camping is the “value” resort at DisneyWorld.
That's the one that only charges an arm OR a leg for a night, right?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag