Can You Tell if SiriusXM is Streaming Over 4G Modem?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Is there any way to tell whether SiriusXM is streaming content over the 4G modem instead of using the satellite receiver? I can’t find anything obvious.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Is there any way to tell whether SiriusXM is streaming content over the 4G modem instead of using the satellite receiver? I can’t find anything obvious.
If it sounds really good its streaming. If it sounds like a tin can its over satellite...

heywardjr

First Name
Heyward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
Occupation
retired
Country flag
SIRIUSXM does not use the 4G modem. It uses a satellite antennae on the roof. Its satellite based not cell based transmission. Only way it would use 4G is if you use Apple CarPlay mode and then you would be using your cellphone SeriusXM app instead. In that case it is not going through the satellite antennae.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
SIRIUSXM does not use the 4G modem. It uses a satellite antennae on the roof. Its satellite based not cell based transmission. Only way it would use 4G is if you use Apple CarPlay mode and then you would be using your cellphone SeriusXM app instead. In that case it is not going through the satellite antennae.
Incorrect. I’ve been in tunnels and had a button appear that says something to the effect of “Switch to Internet” when the satellite connection is unavailable and I do not have my iPhone connected via CarPlay - just Bluetooth. Also see page 340 of the owner’s manual:
Connectivity Disabled
No Internet
Slow Network Connection

heywardjr

First Name
Heyward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So if your phone is not with you, then it must be switching to the 4g modem in the car but you have to sign up for internet / data account with AT&T which is always optional. Not sure I am going to sign up as I don't have kids and don't need people using internet in the car since it will just be me. I already have a data plan on my iPhone and always use it with Apple CarPlay.

Rapid Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
Incorrect. I’ve been in tunnels and had a button appear that says something to the effect of “Switch to Internet” when the satellite connection is unavailable and I do not have my iPhone connected via CarPlay - just Bluetooth. Also see page 340 of the owner’s manual:
Connectivity Disabled
No Internet
Slow Network Connection
That's interesting. If you can switch to Internet would that allow you the Internet-only Sirius channels? (I mean via the car's built-in Sirius itself and not app via CarPlay.)

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So if your phone is not with you, then it must be switching to the 4g modem in the car but you have to sign up for internet / data account with AT&T which is always optional. Not sure I am going to sign up as I don't have kids and don't need people using internet in the car since it will just be me. I already have a data plan on my iPhone and always use it with Apple CarPlay.
Incorrect. You don't have to sign up for an internet / data account with AT&T. I have not done so. Remember, the 4G modem is required for connected car services, such as the maps, the plug and pay, and so on. It is also used to deliver OTAs to the vehicle (when Wi-Fi is not available, or always - not quite sure what's happening with those at the moment).

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That's interesting. If you can switch to Internet would that allow you the Internet-only Sirius channels? (I mean via the car's built-in Sirius itself and not app via CarPlay.)
Well, you can get the OnDemand stuff, which obviously is coming over the 4G connection, not the satellite, but you can't get the Xtra channels that are app-only, which is frustrating to me. I'm not a fan of Apple's implementation of CarPlay (it looks very childish), and the UI for Apple Maps on CarPlay looks like it was a high school coding project by the art class (keep in mind - I'm an Apple fanboy, but I'm not mindless). The SiriusXM ppp in CarPlay is a particular disaster - why they couldn't have just kept it identical to the SiriusXM app on the phone escapes me entirely. So, I stay far away from CarPlay, which means I suffer without the Xtra channels. (Yes, I know, I can use CarPlay only for the Sirius app and all the native Sync stuff for everything else, but then CarPlay keeps trying to interrupt whenever I get a text message or something and overlays the screen with the ugly CarPlay UI).

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
The mach-e is equipped with SiriusXM 360L which uses a combination of old satellite tech and the vehicles onboard 4G antenna. The data transfer costs via the 4G modem have already been pre-negotiated between Ford, the cell provider and SiriusXM. There is no need for the owner to buy any additional data packages.

I don't know the system inside and out but one way to know if you're using the modem is when you're listening to a station that is only broadcast via 360L
Sponsored