Cancelling MME Order

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Hi all,

Gonna say thanks for a few months of entertainment but I'm gonna go a different way. Basically, gonna switch my Accord to a hybrid Accord. I'm still a single car guy and need a car to reliably take me to and from work for a few more years. The MME can be uncertain. Also, the recent price increase and the silence from the dealer got me to rethink things and my trust in Ford has never been 100%.

I'm not trying to stick it to Ford or anything, really I'm just going in a direction that makes a bit more sense to me.

As an aside, it's just as bad on the Honda side to get a car.

One place had an online order system. I went through it, applied for credit, then got a) it won't be here for a few weeks and b) there's a $6,750 markup that isn't on the website. They couldn't be half-arsed, or honest, enough to put the ADM on the website. The dealer I'm going to buy from won't have the car until April but they said it was pretty certain it would arrive 4/15-4/21. There is ADM but I bought my current Accord from them and they were very fair and transparent about the process. They gave me a screaming deal a few years ago and I'm going to get roughly 70% of what I paid for that car in trade.

Peace out!

Edit: While writing this got an email from the dealership saying my price had not changed on my order. Still gonna cancel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Reasonable approach. I would not get a Mach e (or any fully electric car) if it was the only car I would have. Too risky given work, family etc. I’m guessing many here would agree. The Accord should be great. Enjoy.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
52 MPG with the Civic Insight. No more crazy fender skirt look either.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe on your next round of car buying the e-car world will improve.
I was thinking our second car might be a hybrid plug in. The Ford Escape looks pretty nice. Having retired, we could manage a weekly minimal gas use. Goodluck.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
With the gas prices I would've gone with PHEV to save on gas but everybody's situation is different. Gotta do what's best for you

Reactions: ARK

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
We're a two-car family but the Mach-E will be the vehicle that makes us 100% electric, instead of 50%. Electric vehicles are simpler and have less maintenance requirements. I suspect people distrust them because there's less work that they can do themselves on the car if something does go wrong, and because they're pretty new... but on the whole, electric vehicles seem to be more reliable than ICE vehicles. No comment on plug-in hybrids - I suppose you could argue that you have a backup system, but I view it as just having two systems that could have a fault instead of one.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Like the others have said, I understand thought process. If I were a one car family, I don't think that one car would be an EV just yet. The infrastructure and price of the vehicle is just not 100% there yet for that. However, for just about 99% of our driving needs I really don't see our ICE vehicles getting that much use now that we have the MME.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think this is all a personal situation deal.

An Accord and MME aren't really cross shopped much probably since one is clearly an SUV and the other, a sedan. I think if I were to simply get basic transportation, then anything small/cheap is probably where I'd head and neither is that (new Accord/MME). An Accord also lacks a lot of space that OP might not need, but I probably wouldn't get a sedan personally anymore.

I used to have a Chevy Bolt so that's an option too if you're looking to cut cost. People used to buy Bolts new in 2021 (yeah, too late now) for like $20k after all rebates.

If someone can delay buying a car now, that's probably the best play, but with the rising tensions worldwide (Russia exports a lot of Nickel I hear), I believe we're going to be in a car shortage for a long LONG (years) while. This conflict can also escalate.

Add in my distaste of getting gas/smog (in CA), I think if I could live with a fast charging EV or if I could charge at home, I'd probably just opt for 1 EV car and live with the risk now. I think any Tesla owner can probably live with 1 EV as the charging network is reliable (outside of holiday weekends). In CA, I don't think someone has to worry as much with charging infrastructure.

As I've gotten older, I went out far less as well and took less long drives/trips. Probably not as applicable for a single guy though.

A lot of people have a lot of distrust for the dealers, but at the end of the day, it's the product for me and my relationship with the dealer is probably more transactional so after it's done, it's not like we're married or tied to that dealer.

This decision also depends on solar. Having solar/storage myself, charging an EV is basically free as the solar is already a sunk cost.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I love my car, but if I didn't have an ICE backup I would not buy a car that I cannot use for all my driving. Right now taking a trip to my mom's house is not a problem, but in a year or two I probably will have to take my wife's ICE because of the lack of charging capacity on the route. I would not pay $62,000 for a car and then get a ICE rental because my $62k car can't make a trip.

So I think you made the right call. Good luck!

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Reasonable approach. I would not get a Mach e (or any fully electric car) if it was the only car I would have. Too risky given work, family etc. I’m guessing many here would agree. The Accord should be great. Enjoy.
Take a look at the RAV4 Prime. ok electric only range if you have short commutes. My brother has one and buys gas every 3 or 4 months.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You don't necessarily need an ICE backup: You can rent, Uber, fly, etc.

Its why Home Depot rents pickups and vans because people don't want to have a pickup backup.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You don't necessarily need an ICE backup: You can rent, Uber, fly, etc.

Its why Home Depot rents pickups and vans because people don't want to have a pickup backup.
I considered doing that (if we went with 2 BEVs). However, the cost to rent a reasonable sized SUV or minivan for a week is over $1300 plus gas. That’s ridiculous if you are already paying $50k or more for 2 cars. Yeah, maybe if you get a base model Bolt and save money you can justify that kind of cost for an annual road trip, but not me.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I’m still keeping my Truck for backup but not looking forward to filling it up next time for $5 per gallon! Main reason for keeping it now so I can haul my E-bikes!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I considered doing that (if we went with 2 BEVs). However, the cost to rent a reasonable sized SUV or minivan for a week is over $1300 plus gas. That’s ridiculous if you are already paying $50k or more for 2 cars. Yeah, maybe if you get a base model Bolt and save money you can justify that kind of cost for an annual road trip, but not me.
$1300 once a year is still less than a monthly payment for a 2nd car (even twice a year).

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
We're a two-car family but the Mach-E will be the vehicle that makes us 100% electric, instead of 50%. Electric vehicles are simpler and have less maintenance requirements. I suspect people distrust them because there's less work that they can do themselves on the car if something does go wrong, and because they're pretty new... but on the whole, electric vehicles seem to be more reliable than ICE vehicles. No comment on plug-in hybrids - I suppose you could argue that you have a backup system, but I view it as just having two systems that could have a fault instead of one.
Couldn't be further from the truth. Look at consumer reports. Evs are terrible reliability.
Sponsored