Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nope, my seat is at the lowest setting and still having the issue. It almost "gallops" over bumps (back and forth motion) like others have mentioned. On a curve I was holding traction well, hit a bump, and the back end bounced so high that it seemed like the rear lost traction for a split second and grabbed it back when it hit the ground again. Was a bit jolting to say the least. I still love the car but if the suspension doesn't get a little more accommodating over time as the miles add up suspension may be my first mod.
I found a new stretch of road on a drive yesterday that does the bounce. I describe it more as a "wave", like in a speed boat going over ocean waves.

The handful of road I've experienced it on around here have always been concrete rather than asphalt. Those tend to be poured in sections, and sometimes the edges of those section heave a bit. Creates just enough of an up/down undulation that some cars handle it poorly. Our Escape buffers those pretty well and we barely notice it. But the Mach-E picks it up 3x worse, doing "The Wave".

On smooth roads it's fine.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I've always heard the term "floaty boat" used to describe the kind of ride American sedans had in the 1970's. Very soft and floaty with a slow cushy motion to it.
Actually, this is exactly the feeling and thought I got while experiencing this. I feel like a tighter suspension would help mitigate this, (hope that happens in the standard GT tuning) but then that may make the car more prone to feeling the bumps, but might be worth the trade off.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Actually, this is exactly the feeling and thought I got while experiencing this. I feel like a tighter suspension would help mitigate this, (hope that happens in the standard GT tuning) but then that may make the car more prone to feeling the bumps, but might be worth the trade off.
When experiencing what?

We were discussing the manner in which the OP's suspension behaved which was described very much the opposite of "floaty boat".

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
Ok 2 weeks ago I road tested a MME X AWD, it was on winter tires, I don’t know brand or pressure. The ride was bad and I could easily feel the bouncing, not floatiness but harshness, bouncing.

Same vehicle today, back on stock all season tires, 39-40 psi pressure. Totally different ride, while 2 weeks ago it struck me as being very truck like, unrefined, today it was great. Tight, but refined and the body was very well controlled. It was like night and day. BTW no buzzing in the display I could hear and no significant wind noise.
Loved it!

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
Ok 2 weeks ago I road tested a MME X AWD, it was on winter tires, I don’t know brand or pressure. The ride was bad and I could easily feel the bouncing, not floatiness but harshness, bouncing.

Same vehicle today, back on stock all season tires, 39-40 psi pressure. Totally different ride, while 2 weeks ago it struck me as being very truck like, unrefined, today it was great. Tight, but refined and the body was very well controlled. It was like night and day. BTW no buzzing in the display I could hear and no significant wind noise.
Loved it!
How much Kilometers on each test drive?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
About 40 km each

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
What was the odometer on each test drive? Suspension seems to get better over time, mine was really better after ~2500km
That sounds like the ole don't worry "shoes will stretch" line. spoiler alert: they don't. For those affected, if you don't like the ride at first, I'd suggest getting something else. This is the way this car is. I don't mind it. it still handles well.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
That sounds like the ole don't worry "shoes will stretch" line. spoiler alert: they don't. For those affected, if you don't like the ride at first, I'd suggest getting something else. This is the way this car is. I don't mind it. it still handles well.
How much miles you got? Mine was bouncy the first month of ownership, especially one road from my home, now it is really smooth

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
How much miles you got? Mine was bouncy the first month of ownership, especially one road from my home, now it is really smooth
I'd like to echo this. I was complaining big time within the first 800 miles, but I'm at about 1300 miles and I can tell that the ride is bouncing less.

It's always been a smooth and well connected ride, but now the vertical bounce is becoming less and less.

I will say that at some point yesterday the car bounced left side to right side and caught my wife and I off guard. First and only time we felt that sensation.

RonG

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade, 2018 MB GLC AMG 43. Previously owned Mustangs: 1965 hardtop, 1967 Fastback, 1966 Fastback
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately, my dealer could not get me in this week and I will be out of state with the car for about 2.5 weeks. Might want to set a reminder to check back in mid-April. I am really annoyed that I could not get the car in to be looked at by them before taking it 250 miles away for a couple weeks.
Hi Bellyer: Have you had an opportunity to take your MME into the dealer yet to try and resolve the "bouncy ride" issue? I have been checking this site, watching for your outcome.
Up until my wife and I test drove a MME FE back in March, I was very interested in making that my next purchase. However our first impression after just a few minutes driving was the bouncy ride. It seemed to have a back and forth, front to back, bouncy motion.
Please let us know what you find and/or if the ride has improved after your recent road trip.

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
My wife complained of the bouncy ride, it doesn’t bother me. I’d do notice that when the car is loaded up with my entire family ( probably and extra 550 lbs for four people) it rides better. So I guess you could throw some sand bags in the trunk :)

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Hi Bellyer: Have you had an opportunity to take your MME into the dealer yet to try and resolve the "bouncy ride" issue? I have been checking this site, watching for your outcome.
Up until my wife and I test drove a MME FE back in March, I was very interested in making that my next purchase. However our first impression after just a few minutes driving was the bouncy ride. It seemed to have a back and forth, front to back, bouncy motion.
Please let us know what you find and/or if the ride has improved after your recent road trip.
I have an appointment to have it looked at by my dealership on Wednesday. Also, I have had a rep from Ford corporate follow up with me after seeing my posts on this site and he assures me that a group of folks from Ford's corporate team will be working with my dealer on their investigation of the issue in some capacity, which is pretty cool, I think. I will definitely report back after having the car inspected.
Sponsored