Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Behoff

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My wife and I always remark about how smooth the ride is! Bring it to the dealer!
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Are sways on the GT any different?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Yes they are. Three versions of front and rear bars. Non GT, GT and GTPE.
Interesting. Given the springs are the same for the GT and GTPE I would have assumed their sways would be the same as well.

dires114

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X (ordered)
Country flag
https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-fails-the-moose-test-1847766295

https://teknikensvarld.se/nyheter/konsument/ford-mustang-mach-e-fails-the-moose-test/

Thoughts?

In particular, do you think that changing the rear springs to GT springs - which seem to correct the bounciness - would correct or improve this sloppiness in the rear?

The reviewers obviously attributing failure to ESC, but if there is fundamental flaw in suspension tuning to begin with then ESC is fighting an uphill battle.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
When this thread was started, I remarked to my wife how smooth my ride was. This week, I noticed that it has developed a bounce at highway speeds. It got a little better when I put air in the front tires to put it right at 39.

TxTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE and 2021 Escape PHEV Titanium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-fails-the-moose-test-1847766295

https://teknikensvarld.se/nyheter/konsument/ford-mustang-mach-e-fails-the-moose-test/

Thoughts?

In particular, do you think that changing the rear springs to GT springs - which seem to correct the bounciness - would correct or improve this sloppiness in the rear?

The reviewers obviously attributing failure to ESC, but if there is fundamental flaw in suspension tuning to begin with then ESC is fighting an uphill battle.
Maybe the appropriate comparison should be the GTPE with the Model Y they tested? I didn't see the detail on which Model Y that was tested...did it have Performance options? The ER AWD rides much better than the Model Y, per many reviewers, so there is always that trade off.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
When this thread was started, I remarked to my wife how smooth my ride was. This week, I noticed that it has developed a bounce at highway speeds. It got a little better when I put air in the front tires to put it right at 39.
Yours is the first post I have seen that developed a bounce after time has passed. I have seen many who have said the bounce gets better over time. This is a very strange problem. I wonder if you had the bounce before but were not looking for it so didn't notice it? Regardless, if it bothers you, the GT springs should take care of it. Would love to see more data points from people who have done what @markboris did.

MortMag

First Name
Morten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC60 T8, e-Golf (ev Rabbit), MME GT PE
Country flag
See! This is what I truly want and need from my First Edition! I don't understand what could be going wrong. Sure, roads in Chicago aren't amazing, but, surely, it can't just be the road quality making this happen. My 2017 Explorer was incredibly smooth and, yes, I know this is a sportier and very heavy vehicle, but seeing people like you noting that your experience with the MME has not been bouncy has me wondering what the heck is going on. I literally feel like I am driving in a see-saw and my wife commented that she had a bunch of neck discomfort when we got home from a 10-mile drive this evening from the south side of the city to the north side. I so want this car to be a success with my family and overall, but I can't have us constantly car sick either and I need to figure out what can be done about it. :(
I've driven (tested) 3 different MME AWD and one of them where bouncy and uncomfortable. That was a new car with only 15 miles (25km) on the road. I drove 220km as a test drive over a week end it was no good. So - I ordered a MME GT hoping that the Magneride damping system will make the drive more smooth.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
I waited two days before posting this as I wanted to drive the car quite a bit to make sure I am confident on the way the ride has changed.

In an effort to lower my car a bit, since the lowering springs I ordered were taking longer than I expected, I ordered GT springs for my Premium 4x. As I have stated before in another thread, both the GT and GT/PE springs are the same. I wanted a 1" drop but had to settle for the 1/2" drop the GT springs provide. I replaced the front springs last week and stated I noticed a very little difference in ride. The front was slightly firmer when going over speed bumps in the parking lots but not much else different. Two days ago I replaced the rear springs and I was blown away. There is no more bounce over the roads that previously gave me quite a bit. It feels like a completely different car. It is very smooth and handles better too.

Early on in this thread I said I thought the issue with the bounce might be the rear shocks. To me, all of the bounce comes from the rear. I figured the shocks were not firm enough and caused the springs to bounce around. Well, apparently by adding the higher rate GT springs in the rear fixes the bounce. I checked on the shocks for the rear and they are different from my Premium 4x to the standard GT (non magneride) so changing those might even make it better, however, I won't be going any further with this car since I already have it sold when my GT/PE comes in probably sometime November. If I get bored waiting for my car, I might just order the GT rear shocks to see what else will change.

For those that are very unhappy with the rear bounce of their Mach-E I would highly suggest replacing the rear springs if you don't mind spending a little money. The part number is LK9Z-5560-B and they are around $57 each at parts places like TascaParts, etc. I put them in myself and there are just two bolts that need to be removed. The lower shock and lower control arm bolts and the spring comes right out. Getting the lower control arm lined up to put the bolt back in can be a little tricky but not impossible. I'm sure it can't cost that much to have a shop do this as it took me less than one hour to do both sides. For those that are unhappy with the ride of their Mach-E, I'm confident that if you replace your springs with the GT's springs you will enjoy your car much more.
Thank you Mark! I've ordered the rear springs and plan on taking them to a shop to get them installed. I'll report back when it's done.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank you Mark! I've ordered the rear springs and plan on taking them to a shop to get them installed. I'll report back when it's done.
It is a fairly easy install but also should be very inexpensive for a shop to do. Looking forward to your report back.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag

Thoughts?

First step is to install Decent tires.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Thoughts?

A car’s tendency to be tail-happy (loose or over-steer) is generally caused by excessive stiffness in the rear suspension in comparison to the front. Putting stiffer rear springs into the mix will exacerbate the issue because the rear suspension is getting stiffer in comparison to the front. In order to combat that, the front springs and/or anti-sway bar need to be stiffened up.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A car’s tendency to be tail-happy (loose or over-steer) is generally caused by excessive stiffness in the rear suspension in comparison to the front. Putting stiffer rear springs into the mix will exacerbate the issue because the rear suspension is getting stiffer in comparison to the front. In order to combat that, the front springs and/or anti-sway bar need to be stiffened up.
I agree with you however when I changed out just the rear springs and nothing else it greatly reduced the bounce (which is only in the rear). Replacing the front springs and struts didn’t do anything for the bounce. Replacing the rear shocks helped a bit more. Overall the handling of the car is much much better. I don’t think you will find anyone with a GT is complaining of a bouncy ride.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First step is to install Decent tires.
I have run Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, Latitude Sport 3, Pilot Sport SUV and Pilot Sport All Season 4’s. Granted they are all Michelin’s but I run these tires on my current other cars with no issues. The bounce did not change at all.
Sponsored