Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Is this mostly a problem with the standard battery or the extended range battery? That's probably a difference of 400 pounds or so, mostly in the rear, so is like having three more people in the car.

Could be useful info to Ford or Eibach or anyone with a financial interest in fixing this. Plus it could impact what I order. ;)
If you want to be sure you don't have the bounce, the GTPE is the only choice. I will say my base GT is tightly sprung, but it does not seem to resonate like the Premium ER I drove. The Premium is less tight and I think you can get that going if you hit the right bump frequency. Anyway, I like the tight suspension and am very happy with my GT.
Sponsored

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Is this mostly a problem with the standard battery or the extended range battery? That's probably a difference of 400 pounds or so, mostly in the rear, so is like having three more people in the car.

Could be useful info to Ford or Eibach or anyone with a financial interest in fixing this. Plus it could impact what I order. ;)
The springs are also different between SR and ER.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If you want to be sure you don't have the bounce, the GTPE is the only choice. I will say my base GT is tightly sprung, but it does not seem to resonate like the Premium ER I drove. The Premium is less tight and I think you can get that going if you hit the right bump frequency. Anyway, I like the tight suspension and am very happy with my GT.
Agreed that the GT feels good and surprisingly comfortable over rough pavement in the city. We do experience bounciness at freeway speeds though over expansion joints. Feels like the car's rear end is dancing around and it'd be poor timing to try to take a drink. I've only noticed it on two sections of I-5 in Seattle so far. No biggie.

supared

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Viking makes the best adjustable shocks for the Mustang. Anyone reach out to them to see what it takes to geta product for the MachE?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Agreed that the GT feels good and surprisingly comfortable over rough pavement in the city. We do experience bounciness at freeway speeds though over expansion joints. Feels like the car's rear end is dancing around and it'd be poor timing to try to take a drink. I've only noticed it on two sections of I-5 in Seattle so far. No biggie.
That’s a bit concerning as that’s the same as my premium awd er. I thought one gent said the GT only had slight bounciness and the PE eliminates it but your experience matches mine.
I really want to get a GT PE if it really does eliminate the bounciness. I can come out ahead on my premium and get a GT PE with the same monthly, but I love how the premium rides on rough roads and non bouncy inducing smooth roads. I don’t want to lose that and get only a sporty firm ride that makes me notice every bump. It’s unclear to me still if that’s the case on the GT PE or if whisper mode is smooth with no bounciness.

PCJohnD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jdickinson.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I truly love almost everything about my Mach-E First Edition AWD ER, but my wife, son and I literally get car sick when we take it out for anything more than a ride through the neighborhood because it is so incredibly bouncy. As we drive along the expressway, you can actually see the light from our headlights bouncing up and down constantly because it is such a bouncy ride. I don't know what to do about this? Heck, I am happy to buy new shocks that are designed for touring, as opposed to performance, if that will help. I don't really want to have to consider this, but is returning a car an option? Is there something wrong with my Mach-E? I know others have reported a bouncy drive, but others don't seem to notice this at all from what I can tell? I have lowered the PSI in my tires to 37 hoping to address the comfort of the ride, but that has not helped.

Help! I don't know what to do to fix this. Admittedly, I am not a "car guy," so figuring this out is a mystery to me. I truly want to love this car and had such high hopes for it and would love to find a way to address the bounciness of the ride because I love everything else about it and have not really faced any of the other issues that people have reported. I am honestly happy to buy new shocks or something to smooth the ride out, but what other options do I have here? Would new shocks even help smooth things out?
Are the shipping spacers still in the springs??

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Are the shipping spacers still in the springs??
Given 8 months time and 666 replies, this has been asked and answered a few times. ;)

I wonder if @bellyer could update the first post with a summary of what's been recommended (and failed) so far?

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I have a GT. In my opinion the suspension is the worst feature of the car. Tight when it needs to be softer and bouncy when it has to be tighter. It just feels wrong. Everything else is quite good (except a few minor software bugs).

Disclaimer my previous cars were all sporty sedans and SUVs like Audis and Porsches with dynamically adjusted suspension and their ride quality was much better.
I have not driven MagnaRide yet so I cannot speak for that.
If Ford improves the suspension and fix some software bugs then they will have a great car that would compete with higher brands like BMW, Audis etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Given 8 months time and 666 replies, this has been asked and answered a few times. ;)

I wonder if @bellyer could update the first post with a summary of what's been recommended (and failed) so far?
But, isn't it more fun just wondering how many times people will ask or suggest things that have been noted multiple times before? ?. It might take me a day or so, but I can probably get around to making that update to the original post. Doing that won't help me to achieve the status of being the originator of the longest thread in the history of this site. ?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a GT. In my opinion the suspension is the worst feature of the car. Tight when it needs to be softer and bouncy when it has to be tighter. It just feels wrong. Everything else is quite good (except a few minor software bugs).

Disclaimer my previous cars were all sporty sedans and SUVs like Audis and Porsches with dynamically adjusted suspension and their ride quality was much better.
I have not driven MagnaRide yet so I cannot speak for that.
If Ford improves the suspension and fix some software bugs then they will have a great car that would compete with higher brands like BMW, Audis etc.
I am not as critical as you are regarding the GT suspension and most of the time really enjoy how it behaves.

Certainly no mechanical suspension can ever match an active suspension in its ability to adjust to varying conditions. I am interested in after market solutions to smooth out the bounce if the cost is somewhat reasonable. But it does not bother me enough to spend a ton of money on it. If it really bothered me I would just trade mine in for a GTPE.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That’s a bit concerning as that’s the same as my premium awd er. I thought one gent said the GT only had slight bounciness and the PE eliminates it but your experience matches mine.
I really want to get a GT PE if it really does eliminate the bounciness. I can come out ahead on my premium and get a GT PE with the same monthly, but I love how the premium rides on rough roads and non bouncy inducing smooth roads. I don’t want to lose that and get only a sporty firm ride that makes me notice every bump. It’s unclear to me still if that’s the case on the GT PE or if whisper mode is smooth with no bounciness.
It seems unanimous that the GTPE in whisper mode is the most smooth and comfortable of the MMEs.

To be clear, the GT bounciness is only in certain conditions but is otherwise a very nice ride. I'm hoping that after 1500-2000 miles, it settles in as others have reported.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
But, isn't it more fun just wondering how many times people will ask or suggest things that have been noted multiple times before? ?. It might take me a day or so, but I can probably get around to making that update to the original post. Doing that won't help me to achieve the status of being the originator of the longest thread in the history of this site. ?
I can’t deal with this thread anymore!!! o_O J/k

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
I am not as critical as you are regarding the GT suspension and most of the time really enjoy how it behaves.

Certainly no mechanical suspension can ever match an active suspension in its ability to adjust to varying conditions. I am interested in after market solutions to smooth out the bounce if the cost is somewhat reasonable. But it does not bother me enough to spend a ton of money on it. If it really bothered me I would just trade mine in for a GTPE.
For sure non-adjustable will never match adaptive suspensions, but I just want it to be less terrible. When my Corvette is the better ride (it doesn't have adaptive suspension either) I know something is off lol. I already tried switching the rear std rwd coils for gt coils as the most inexpensive option to try first (since the OEM GT shocks still seem to have bounce and someone on the thread tried it with good results) but like you I'm reluctant to spend more money until there are decent aftermarket solutions.

At this point I don't know how much more money I'm willing to spend because I have a reservation for a different ev and if I like that better I'll be trading the Mach E in maybe in another year or so. I've lived with the suspension for 8 months now, maybe I can do another 12 just to see if the ev I reserved fits my wants a little better before I spend more money.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
A Select RWD here - it, specifically the rear bounces (the ride reminds me of older body on frame SUVs and trucks with a leaf spring setup, rides rough and bouncy) over rough patches of socal freeways (especially those under construction). On smoother roads, like canyon roads it's fine and tolerable. In the driver seat for me it's tolerable, but wife complains if she's in the back seat (she prefers the suspension tuning from our '19 Explorer Sport).

For me personally, I hate the Michelin Primacy A/S that came with the car, although I can see why Ford uses them, they're LRR tires which are better for range/mpgs. I'm willing to sacrifice some range and going with better handling tires, but also keeping with same XL Load Rating. Eventually down the road, hopefully Bilstein and/or Koni will have dampers for the MME, I'm itching to replace the OEM ones.
Sponsored