Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
This might be the way the suspension is for heavy cars with a non-adaptive suspension. You just have to choose a stiff suspension like Teslas MY or a softer one like MME. Most heavy ICE cars have adaptive suspension but that would've made the cost too high for an EV.
Sponsored

metalpro2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e 1st edition
Occupation
Software architect
Country flag
Maybe this test will work out for telling garage/dealers: put your head to the headrest all the time (front seats: driver/non-driver).but do not apply neck pressure and feel your head bounce off the headrest slightly. Even on even roads this is noticeable and in my opinion this shouldn't be and is the root cause of the problems on uneven roads. I wonder how this is on other cars/vans by comparison. (I do not have another car available to test this)

dwadj

First Name
Davy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2021 J2 Awd ER, Transit Custom Lim aut
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Maybe this test will work out for telling garage/dealers: put your head to the headrest all the time (front seats: driver/non-driver).but do not apply neck pressure and feel your head bounce off the headrest slightly. Even on even roads this is noticeable and in my opinion this shouldn't be and is the root cause of the problems on uneven roads. I wonder how this is on other cars/vans by comparison. (I do not have another car available to test this)
At home we have multiple vehicles, currently all Fords but had also other brands in the past.
So non of them suffer from this bounciness, even not our van (Transit Custom) which has leaf suspension on the back, but it definitely does not bounce like the MME even it's equally heavy or heavier. I think it's the combination of wheelbase, too stiff springs and too soft dampers (under damped), due to this to front and back feel like having different spring rates and with certain frequencies of road bumps this bounciness is triggered due to not well controlled chassis movement in front vs back.
it is a common knowledge that Ford (in Europe anyway) makes very good chassis, but with the MME, the engineers were apparently sick because of corona or on leave and Ford outsource the development? Maybe I need to go to Lommel Proving ground and ask them directly?

igotnoclevername

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sequoia/QX60, Maybe Bronco 6G WT/Lightning/Mach E
Country flag
I have isolated the bounciness/galloping to more-or-less a known 3 mile stretch of highway. The concrete slabs in this stretch are not that far apart, this consistent difference between the slabs causes a consistent frequent bump which causes the suspension to hit a harmonic bounce/gallop. I am open to downloading any recommended apps and running tests to confirm / gather more data. Can even buy certain things to help figure out how to fix this. Should I buy GT springs? Let me know what I should try and if it's of a reasonable price, I'll do it.

Here is a satellite screenshot of the highway (location pin). You can make out the concerete slab sections. If needed, I can measure out their distance. I'm sure that Ford would be able to replicate this on a track.
1641956983469.png
My office is about a mile from that pin. Luckily for me I don't have to take the 41 to get there.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
The headrest aspect is definitely a telling item. Between that and the headlights bobbing up and down on fairly smooth highways (even some asphalt covered ones without the expansion joints), it's not like any other vehicle I have owned/driven. To be fair I don't really rest my head against the headrest of my Corvette's seat, but that's more a function of how the seat is shaped. My head would still bounce a little if I did but no where near the same amount as with the Mach E.

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
This might be the way the suspension is for heavy cars with a non-adaptive suspension. You just have to choose a stiff suspension like Teslas MY or a softer one like MME. Most heavy ICE cars have adaptive suspension but that would've made the cost too high for an EV.
My Honda Odyssey that I had before my MME did not have adaptive suspension and I never had this issue on the exact stretch of road that make my MME feel like it has a pogo stick in the back.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
MedTech Software Engineer.
Country flag

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Country flag
I take this road every day I "drive into town". I cannot be expected to just endure this 2 minutes of galloping every time I do so. What are my options on returning this vehicle that I have only had for 4 days and 100 miles. I financed w/ 10% down and paid an ADM of $8000. Dealer (Lithia Ford of Fresno) lied to me that Ford Options are not available in California (due to balloon payment).

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Honda Odyssey that I had before my MME did not have adaptive suspension and I never had this issue on the exact stretch of road that make my MME feel like it has a pogo stick in the back.
Same with my former highlander. Granted we are comparing based on vehicle weight vs Ford trying to make the Mach E sporty. I'd prefer a harsher ride vs the bounciness/galloping which is why I've said up thread that right now I actually prefer my Corvette's ride (which is kinda sad lol). It actually seems a little less stiff and does have some give over road imperfections.

My initial unscientific testing was to push down on the Mach e vs the vette in various areas of the car. The vette gave a little more on the pushes whereas the Mach e barely moved at all. Once again weight does play a factor but still. My dealership and another I sometimes deal with have mentioned that they've had other owners complaining as well.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I take this road every day I "drive into town". I cannot be expected to just endure this 2 minutes of galloping every time I do so. What are my options on returning this vehicle that I have only had for 4 days and 100 miles. I financed w/ 10% down and paid an ADM of $8000. Dealer (Lithia Ford of Fresno) lied to me that Ford Options are not available in California (due to balloon payment).
I wish I only had the bouncing/galloping during certain stretches of road because I could probably live with it but for me unless the road is almost as smooth as ice I'm going to be bouncing/galloping all over the place (some places much worse than others of course).

I'd say talk to your dealer. Seems like most of us with concerns on this thread are waiting to see if the aftermarket comes through or in some cases may be looking to purchase a different ev as more options become available.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I know exactly where you are coming from. Yes, MME is heavy, but so is any Odyssey especially the top trims, the difference is only 273 lbs between the MME Premium AWD EX and the '18 Odyssey Elite in our garage (as measured by Car and Driver). Tire sizes are similar as well, 235/55R19 vs. 225/55R19; recommended tire pressures are 36 psi vs 39 psi, I have driven the Odyssey with over-inflated tires on occasions and even then the difference is still there. After 100K miles in the Odyssey, the difference was immediately noticeable when I took delivery of the MME last month. Having been aware of this thread for months, I also knew little could be done to change that. Fortunately I rarely drive on concrete roadways with expansion joints, and haven't done so in the MME, so it is not a big deal for me and after a month I barely notice it now even though the ride hasn't changed.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Maybe you can't, but I would find another route that avoids that road because I love my MME. Of course I am not dealing with bouncing like you are, so it is easy for me to say that. Sorry it is so bad for you.

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe you can't, but I would find another route that avoids that road because I love my MME. Of course I am not dealing with bouncing like you are, so it is easy for me to say that. Sorry it is so bad for you.
It's the only road to and from town that does not add an extra 30-40 minutes.

Was able to get a brief recording of a behind view of a different Mach-E being driver on the same road that gave me problems. The bounce is visible from behind as well. This is exactly what I'm feeling. The back just cannot settle. Driving my '09 Camry on the same road is night and day compared to the Mach-E.

Was only able to capture very short videos.
Part 1:

Part 2:

This tells me that this is not a one-off problem. But a problem will all Mach-Es besides the GT PE and maybe the GT.
My plan. 1. Get it checked out by the dealer and hope that I can give them a test drive on this road. 2. If no improvement after 2,000 miles, try the GT springs.
3. Look out for aftermarket solutions.
4. Try to test drive a Mach-E GT on the same road, if Magneride fixes it, then trade in.
Sponsored