Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Ugh...Sounds like the GT springs and shocks might not be the solution on this type of highway...Do you drive on roads similar to the one I have in my video (more on my channel)? And does your GT bounce relatively the same?
Yes, the GT is the same in roads like in your video.
Sponsored

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
MedTech Software Engineer.
Country flag
Yes, the GT is the same in roads like in your video.
Ugh. Thanks. Sounds like 3 options.
1. Return/sell the vehicle
2. Wait for aftermarket solutions
3. Hope Ford fixes this and trade it in for a newer model in 2023... I don't know if I'll be able to last as I take this road literally every day.

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Country flag
Correct. But a couple aftermarket companies have mentioned they’re working on suspension upgrades. It’s just a matter of time.
How much longer do you think we'd have to wait? And what would the price range be?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it just made it stiffer. And the people that did the swap only said something like “I think it helped some but it still bounces.”

So let’s focus on what we do know from many many sources.

1. GT is bouncy
2. GTPE isnt
3. GT and GTPE have the same springs
4. Only difference between the two is shocks

It’s the shocks.
While I agree GT/PE magneride shocks will make the most difference, I can tell you, replacing just the springs which what I did first made a difference. They were definitely more firm and had less travel, bounce. However, never had it on a concrete road with constant uneven sections to make it bounce like others have. It was very noticeable going over rail road tracks and other uneven road surfaces. I know others have replaced them with less success but I don't drive on the roads they do either.

Also, one other thing that is different on the GT/PE over the GT is both front and rear sway bars are slightly larger/stiffer but doubt that would have anything to do with the ride much.

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Select eAWD
Country flag
I am experiencing this ’bounciness’ as well. I’ve put 6k miles on my Mach E select AWD - most of it on the roads in my town. On the freeway and on exceedingly smooth roads, this car is a dream to drive - unlike anything I’ve ever driven and I love it. But on the roads in my town, which are not terrible, this car‘s ride is absolutely horrible. It’s downright violent on mild bumps. I’ve never felt a car this uncomfortable before, I can’t imagine that @Ford Motor Company intended this.

I don’t mind a stiff suspension, but this is like taking kidney punches. I love this car and would love to find a solution for this.

Last edited:

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ugh. Thanks. Sounds like 3 options.
1. Return/sell the vehicle
2. Wait for aftermarket solutions
3. Hope Ford fixes this and trade it in for a newer model in 2023... I don't know if I'll be able to last as I take this road literally every day.
Sorry, I have not read all 53 pages, so this might have already been suggested. @eidbanger, for the concrete sectioned highway, have you tried setting the front tires and rear tires at different pressures? Should change the resonant frequency of the system. I suggest trying 42 psi on one pair, 36 psi or lower on the other pair. Try driving with the front set high, then the rear set high, see if the bouncing severity is reduced in either case. I know you have tried changing the psi in all 4 tires, but setting them at different pressures may help.

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Ugh...took delivery of my Premium AWD, just blindly hoping this was all overblown. I've test driven MMEs 4 times previously (Premium, Select, and GT) and the ride never bothered me. Whelp, the way home was enough to convince me otherwise. I'm hoping against hope the sub-zero temps in MN today are a factor. Tire PSI was 37-40. Also, I believe most of the roads where I live are better than the ones between me and the dealer. I'll find out more tomorrow.

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Country flag
After 320 miles and taking out my Premium AWD ER about 6 times out of the past 12 days, I can say that the situation has vastly improved. All sorts of things have factored in to the bouncing not bothering nearly as much as the first few times I drove it.

1. Lowering the tire pressure from the 43 to 38/39 cold.
2. I feel like the car has broken in a bit. Or it's me who was broken in. Either way, an improvement.
3. I noticed that the slight bouncing only happens on certain "concrete expansion joints" sections of a highway. The car takes bumps/humps just fine. It does have some side to side sway as well, but that can be mitigated by your driving style. I can easily live with this.
4. Extra weight in the car helps.

I haven't gotten car sick since the first time I drove it. Yes, the car is more bouncy than my '09 Camry. But I think most SUVs are like this (from my experience driving a 2015 Tahoe).

I went to the dealership to test drive the car with a mechanic. I was ashamed when I couldn't replicate the same bounce which I have previously recorded when I drove through the same stretch of highway. Yes, there was a little bit of bounce, but nothing that should make anyone car sick (I get car sick easily). Maybe the weight of the mechanic next to me helped out. The mechanic said he often has people complaining about the F150 being bouncy, similar suspension + wheel spacing maybe?

Personally, I do not think this is an issue anymore, but I will keep an eye out on aftermarket upgrades. 10/10 would buy again.

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have an update on my experience with tire pressure. @eidbanger lowered the cold pressure to 38 psi. I was much more aggressive, and have lowered my tire pressure to 32 psi.

Based on reports in this forum, the GT does not have as much of a bounce issue as compared to other models, and I don't have roads in any of my short or long drives that cause the bounce. So to me, the problem has been more about the bounce after hitting a bump, and the harshness of the suspension.

At 32 psi, the car drives so, so much better. It is a lot smoother, and the harshness is pretty much gone. The bounce that I did notice before is still there, but much less noticeable. For sure the softer tires are absorbing some of the shock which means the suspension has less movement to compensate for.

I suggest the people who are having the worst issues try 32 psi and see how well it drives. Of course you can expect a range hit, maybe 10%, but I hardly notice it in my car. I am not driving to the edge of my range anyway.

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 GT500, 17 GT350R, 15 GT3, 00 Lightning, 91 Fox
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag
Just as a bit of info...

I designed, built and installed 1.5" lowering springs on three different Mach-E's. Two on client vehicles and one on my personal car. We all experienced a substantial reduction in bounce, reduced body roll and the increase in aesthetics.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do? IMG_2043.JPG
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do? SV301S Mach E Lowered-13

I only built a few sets as the initial take rate was low. I have two more sets of 1" drop springs available if anyone is interested. With a large enough buy in we could do another production run of 1.5" drop springs.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Just as a bit of info...

I designed, built and installed 1.5" lowering springs on three different Mach-E's. Two on client vehicles and one on my personal car. We all experienced a substantial reduction in bounce, reduced body roll and the increase in aesthetics.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do? SV301S Mach E Lowered-13

I only built a few sets as the initial take rate was low. I have two more sets of 1" drop springs available if anyone is interested. With a large enough buy in we could do another production run of 1.5" drop springs.
Thank you so much for doing this! Hopefully this helps out a lot of people here. Did you notice the GT's bounce almost fully going away since it was already a bit better at not bouncing compared to the Premium and Select models? Or after lowering the Premium and GT were fairly similar with their bounciness?