Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I truly love almost everything about my Mach-E First Edition AWD ER, but my wife, son and I literally get car sick when we take it out for anything more than a ride through the neighborhood because it is so incredibly bouncy. As we drive along the expressway, you can actually see the light from our headlights bouncing up and down constantly because it is such a bouncy ride. I don't know what to do about this? Heck, I am happy to buy new shocks that are designed for touring, as opposed to performance, if that will help. I don't really want to have to consider this, but is returning a car an option? Is there something wrong with my Mach-E? I know others have reported a bouncy drive, but others don't seem to notice this at all from what I can tell? I have lowered the PSI in my tires to 37 hoping to address the comfort of the ride, but that has not helped.

Help! I don't know what to do to fix this. Admittedly, I am not a "car guy," so figuring this out is a mystery to me. I truly want to love this car and had such high hopes for it and would love to find a way to address the bounciness of the ride because I love everything else about it and have not really faced any of the other issues that people have reported. I am honestly happy to buy new shocks or something to smooth the ride out, but what other options do I have here? Would new shocks even help smooth things out?
Sponsored

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’d bring it to the dealer and have them check it out. Sounds like there’s something wrong with it.
Yeah, I think I need to give them a call. I have a 200-mile trip I need to take this week and I am honestly fearing that I am going to need to keep barf-bags in the car with us. I so want to figure out a way to fix this and smooth out the ride. :(

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, I think I need to give them a call. I have a 200-mile trip I need to take this week and I am honestly fearing that I am going to need to keep barf-bags in the car with us. I so want to figure out a way to fix this and smooth out the ride. :(
Anyone have an idea of whether the Mach-me-sick bouncing is only on the AWD model? If the front lights are going up/down, it might not be shocks, it might be motor control resonance. I had an excessively firm ride that was helped by reducing tire pressure to spec, but I would not call it bouncy. Mine is a RWD model. I wonder if it might be another software glitch, sort of an oscillation trying to balance the rear axle torque with the front axle torque. Any Geeks want to weigh in?

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I can only compare it to our X1, and the ride is good in both. I only notice any bounce in either of them when I lean my head back against the headrest, but I honestly rarely do that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I definitely feel some bouncing when the road surface is a bit wavy, but it's not anything too bad for us. Depends a lot on the road though.

My bigger disappointment is the roughness of the ride at times than the bouncing, although lowering PSI did help that some.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Anyone have an idea of whether the Mach-me-sick bouncing is only on the AWD model? If the front lights are going up/down, it might not be shocks, it might be motor control resonance. I had an excessively firm ride that was helped by reducing tire pressure to spec, but I would not call it bouncy. Mine is a RWD model. I wonder if it might be another software glitch, sort of an oscillation trying to balance the rear axle torque with the front axle torque. Any Geeks want to weigh in?
I’ve put almost 3,000 miles on our First Edition and it hasn’t seemed bouncy at all.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve put almost 3,000 miles on our First Edition and it hasn’t seemed bouncy at all.
See! This is what I truly want and need from my First Edition! I don't understand what could be going wrong. Sure, roads in Chicago aren't amazing, but, surely, it can't just be the road quality making this happen. My 2017 Explorer was incredibly smooth and, yes, I know this is a sportier and very heavy vehicle, but seeing people like you noting that your experience with the MME has not been bouncy has me wondering what the heck is going on. I literally feel like I am driving in a see-saw and my wife commented that she had a bunch of neck discomfort when we got home from a 10-mile drive this evening from the south side of the city to the north side. I so want this car to be a success with my family and overall, but I can't have us constantly car sick either and I need to figure out what can be done about it. :(

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
See! This is what I truly want and need from my First Edition! I don't understand what could be going wrong. Sure, roads in Chicago aren't amazing, but, surely, it can't just be the road quality making this happen. My 2017 Explorer was incredibly smooth and, yes, I know this is a sportier and very heavy vehicle, but seeing people like you noting that your experience with the MME has not been bouncy has me wondering what the heck is going on. I literally feel like I am driving in a see-saw and my wife commented that she had a bunch of neck discomfort when we got home from a 10-mile drive this evening from the south side of the city to the north side. I so want this car to be a success with my family and overall, but I can't have us constantly car sick either and I need to figure out what can be done about it. :(
Have you test-driven a different Mach E to see how it feels?

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you test-driven a different Mach E to see how it feels?
I have not. My dealer appears to have a RWD model, but I don't know if that would be an apples-to-apples comparison, but it might help to figure out if it is my car in particular or a MME issue I suppose.

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
My wife and I spent today driving around Chicago, also weirdly a 10 mile drive from the south to northwest, and neither of us had any complaints about the ride. ER AWD. Agree with others that it might be worth taking to the dealership

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would be curious to see a video with a large clear container sitting on the dash partially filled with some lightly colored liquid.

Sounds like some vehicles are not performing as designed.

Does the bounciness get better or worse with 5 full size adult passengers? (All wearing masks of course....)

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
It's a getting used to thing. My Honda Pilot was a pretty smooth SUV, suspension on the soft side and plenty of sidewalls. I immediately felt MME had a lot firmer ride. But got used to that pretty quickly. My daughter's BMW has a really stiff suspension, I hate driving it, she likes it. From her perspective MME is quite soft.

MachE911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE, C-Max Energi, 911
Country flag
I have no issue with bounciness in my MME FE. Did a few long road trips already.
Sponsored

Last edited: