Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
I'm sure we'd prefer the real deal to the fake Tesla farts any day...
I wouldn't be so sure. I had a car full of 50 year old adults breaking out in hysterical laughter that wouldn't quit when I pulled "fart mode" on them unexpectedly. Two of them couldn't quit laughing. I kept moving the fart sounds to different corners of the cabin (but not the driver seat, of course) and they couldn't stop laughing. All completely sober passengers.

On the other hand, my typical experience with real farts in a car of adults is everyone goes silent and pretends like nothing is going on. :oops:

Last edited:

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
I'm leaning towards the Recaro bus driver seats that have accordion suspension myself...

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
My car arrived at the dealer on March 4th, I believe, which was definitely after the brunt of the really cold weather, so it would not be anything weather related. I picked it up with a total of 4 miles on it, so it had not been driving around extensively or anything. I can try to take a look at the dampers, but am guessing I won't find anything wrong. I don't have an appointment for service yet because I need to drive the car out of state for a couple of weeks, but will have it checked out when I get back.
Sounds good.

If your problem doesn't go away after all those trip miles you'll be putting on it, I'd bet dollars to donuts the nitrogen has leaked out if they are nitrogen charged. This would mean your ride height is too low and would have much the same symptoms as the suspension packing I mentioned earlier.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Well, it's called a Mustang. That they claim is an SUV. It's really a crossover in nearly every practical way but name and few body styling elements.

Although this is one of those few areas they decided to not make it a crossover, and extracted a price by making us feel every bump in the road. It's my only big disappointment in the vehicle, as it's one not likely to be improved by OTA updates. I didn't expect a Crown Vic ride, but I did expect it would be at least as smooth as my other crossover that was half as expensive (an Escape). I set my expectations too high.
That's definately an issue. By calling it a Mustang people came with certain expectations. By making it a cross-over, other people came with different expectations. Those expectations are incompatible with each other, unfortunately.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Lol. Guys, this thread is kind of a mess. There are least two definitions of "bounce" out there and everyone is putting their two cents in on whichever definition they thought it was referring to. Among other off-tangents.

OP is not talking about ride firmness or harshness. He's talking about a long repetitive heaving after hitting an undulation in the road.
I'm pretty sure OP is talking about floaty like a boat.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't get my car until sometimes in May, but so far the ride has been acceptable for me.

Last edited:

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
I'm pretty sure OP is talking about floaty like a boat.
That's odd, I read every description provided by the OP and came away with the opposite impression, that the ride is harsh and jarring as it pitches up and down.

How do two people read the same thing and come away with opposite impressions?

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
That's odd, I read every description provided by the OP and came away with the opposite impression, that the ride is harsh and jarring as it pitches up and down.

The YouTube video linked to below is an EXTREME example of what is going on here. Definitely not a Mach-E, but the sensation inside the vehicle feels a bit like this. I would agree with @JamieGeek that the bouncing seems to be attributable to imperfections in the road. In some further testing, I have found that it seems to respond with a lot of bouncing front to back as passing over things like seams between concrete slabs in the road or seams between road and bridges, etc. There are some long stretches of expressway throughout Chicago that seem to have these kinds of imperfections, so it is pretty much a constant bounce for miles at a time sometimes.

Bouncing vehicle definitely needs a new suspension! - YouTube

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

That's a good question. The original post, for example, described it as "bouncing" at least 4 times, not jarring. Jarring is quite different than bouncing. Bouncing is an up and down undulating motion, like someone standing behind your chair and lifting it up/down/up/down. Jarring is a momentary jolt from a bump in the road, like someone kicked your chair. With each bump being a different kick.

Both are problems many have reported in the MME (I've experienced both, and am personally far more disappointed in the jarring than the bouncing). I believe the OP has focused mainly on the bouncing.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am checking it off as a "As Designed". We all have to make our decision on if its a deal breaker or not. Even though the road condition plays a major role in the bouncy ride. My wife's GLC does not have the same ride experience. Nor the previous Scrion. Or the other slew of cars I tested on the same road (Macan, Lexus IS/ES, BMW 540, M3). All have different handling but none have the characteristics I would call "bouncy". Haven't tried trucks yet. Will try my friends Tacoma later this week and see.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
LOL My dashcam has the option to turn off sound.

I figure no one wants to hear me farting as we go down the road...
:) I might be in a minority, but I would always like to hear the sound inside the car - that's just another bit of info, at the speed you were driving if there are any side sounds, like wind, road surface sound, etc... In your particular video I didn't notice any bouncyness despite my best efforts :) - so, the sound might also be helpful for a correlation.
Sponsored