Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
If the ride seems abnormally abrupt, get a flashlight and closely look at the springs at all four corners. It is certainly possible shipping stops were not removed at the dealer and are still in the fronts, backs or all four corners. You can probably remove them by hand if they are there or take it to the dealer. Have had it happen my GT350R. If so, will make it a different car upon removal.
A good friend of mine had the exact same thing on HIS GT350R too. Definitely something to check.
Sponsored

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
The YouTube video linked to below is an EXTREME example of what is going on here. Definitely not a Mach-E, but the sensation inside the vehicle feels a bit like this. I would agree with @JamieGeek that the bouncing seems to be attributable to imperfections in the road. In some further testing, I have found that it seems to respond with a lot of bouncing front to back as passing over things like seams between concrete slabs in the road or seams between road and bridges, etc. There are some long stretches of expressway throughout Chicago that seem to have these kinds of imperfections, so it is pretty much a constant bounce for miles at a time sometimes.

Bouncing vehicle definitely needs a new suspension! - YouTube
Maybe a video of your car from the rear would be helpful. Because that van is suffering from a nearly complete lack of damping. That's what happens when your springs are still good but your dampers have lost their damping ability.

I was under the impression that the oscillations you experience were harsher, with a shorter period and smaller amplitude. Sort of a smaller, quicker, harsher bouncing as opposed to the long, slow bouncing of the white van in the video.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
I do feel the bouncing on mine but only when the road has minor imperfections. When there is bigger hit, the car doesn’t bounce. As if they are so stiff that minor hit doesn’t make them do their work
That sounds like the kind of problem that will likely go away as the dampers (and perhaps the suspension pivots) wear-in.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
A good friend of mine had the exact same thing on HIS GT350R too. Definitely something to check.
From being around car forums this is a common complaint. This is the first thing I would check if I found the ride of a new car unacceptable.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Maybe a video of your car from the rear would be helpful. Because that van is suffering from a nearly complete lack of damping. That's what happens when your springs are still good but your dampers have lost their damping ability.

I was under the impression that the oscillations you experience were harsher, with a shorter period and smaller amplitude. Sort of a smaller, quicker, harsher bouncing as opposed to the long, slow bouncing of the white van in the video.
You are correct. Yes, the van in that video is a much more exaggerated bounce, slower and higher. The bounce that I am experiencing is definitely quicker and of a lesser amplitude. Just trying to paint a little if a picture of the motion being felt (bouncing from front to back as driving along, as opposed to being tossed side to side or anything like that).

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Finally we have facts. Different shocks part number left and right does not sound right at all.
Many cars have different part numbers for front left and right struts. Shocks are part of the strut assembly and most struts are different between left and right to fit the suspension properly. My 2014 Escape, 2016 Focus and 2020 Mustang all have different part numbers for front left and right strut/shocks. The rear shocks on the Mach E are the same.

There was someone here that wanted numbers off of the struts/shocks. I was not going to go back and find the member to quote them but here are the part numbers off of the struts/shocks.

Left Front Strut LJ9C-18K001-ABE
Right Front Strut LJ9C-18045-ABE
Rear Shocks (both the same) LJ9C-18080-ABE

My Mach E details: 2021 Premium AWD Extended range battery

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do? IMG_41031900

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do? IMG_41021900

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do? IMG_41061900

Last edited:

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I truly love almost everything about my Mach-E First Edition AWD ER, but my wife, son and I literally get car sick when we take it out for anything more than a ride through the neighborhood because it is so incredibly bouncy. As we drive along the expressway, you can actually see the light from our headlights bouncing up and down constantly because it is such a bouncy ride. I don't know what to do about this? Heck, I am happy to buy new shocks that are designed for touring, as opposed to performance, if that will help. I don't really want to have to consider this, but is returning a car an option? Is there something wrong with my Mach-E? I know others have reported a bouncy drive, but others don't seem to notice this at all from what I can tell? I have lowered the PSI in my tires to 37 hoping to address the comfort of the ride, but that has not helped.

Help! I don't know what to do to fix this. Admittedly, I am not a "car guy," so figuring this out is a mystery to me. I truly want to love this car and had such high hopes for it and would love to find a way to address the bounciness of the ride because I love everything else about it and have not really faced any of the other issues that people have reported. I am honestly happy to buy new shocks or something to smooth the ride out, but what other options do I have here? Would new shocks even help smooth things out?
My last Ford (a Focus RS) was shipped here from Germany. It came with foam blocks wedged into all four coil springs, to keep the cars from shifting position onboard the transport ship. There were reports of some idiot mechanics not knowing to remove the blocks before delivery to the customer. Maybe train shipments also use the foam blocks? Look at your coil springs at all four corners, to be sure that the shipping blocks were removed...

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I do feel the bouncing on mine but only when the road has minor imperfections. When there is bigger hit, the car doesn’t bounce. As if they are so stiff that minor hit doesn’t make them do their work
I mentioned earlier in this thread that my MME suffers from the bouncing also. I really paid attention today and can confirm that my situation is just like yours. It doesn’t bounce when there are big bumps or potholes but it bounces when the road looks perfect to my eye, which makes me wonder why it’s happening at all. I’m driving on a road that looks mostly smooth but the car will bounce.

My MME bounces not with a harshness but with a gallop. It’s like it feels a tiny impact and then gallops over it upward first then down then a larger up then a settling down then back to smooth. It’s not a huge upward and downward motion but it’s big enough and rhythmic enough to both feel and see the bounce as it’s happening.

I could totally tell the differences if it felt like one strut/shock was moving while the other wasn’t, but this is consistently the entire front moving up and down together.

It is totally possible that this is intended behavior for this vehicle to give it a sportier ride.... it’s just that (like I mentioned earlier) none of the other sporty (or luxury) vehicles i’ve owned behave like this.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
I don't understand all the grief over this thread.

Did you reach your Ignore limit like that other person?
I hit ignore, still shows up on the home page.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
My MME bounces not with a harshness but with a gallop. It’s like it feels a tiny impact and then gallops over it upward first then down then a larger up then a settling down then back to smooth. It’s not a huge upward and downward motion but it’s big enough and rhythmic enough to both feel and see the bounce as it’s happening.

I could totally tell the differences if it felt like one strut/shock was moving while the other wasn’t, but this is consistently the entire front moving up and down together.

It is totally possible that this is intended behavior for this vehicle to give it a sportier ride.... it’s just that (like I mentioned earlier) none of the other sporty (or luxury) vehicles i’ve owned behave like this.

It sounds like the dampers have far too much high-speed damping and not enough low speed damping. But it makes no sense how it could arrive from Ford this way unless there was a batch of defective dampers. (note: "high-speed" and "low-speed" in the above context does not refer to vehicle speed but rather the speed of the damper motion.)

Based on your description of the body motion, I would say no automaker would do this on purpose under the cover of giving it a "sportier ride". Not possible. A sporty ride is sporty because it controls body motion well so the tires can maintain consistent grip. Pitching the body upward from a small bump does not achieve that. A sporty suspension is supposed to soak up bumps to control body motion.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't understand all the grief over this thread.

Did you reach your Ignore limit like that other person?
Oh, I kinda do Jonathan. The car needs to be looked at by the dealer for possible mechanical issues. So to that extent there’s not much else to discuss until there’s a report on it. Well not much to discuss without a report other than the possible causes, whether there really is a bounce, or would it be best described as an oscillation? Is it a dynamically unstable oscillation or does it demonstrate positive stability? Perhaps it’s a road issue and not car related at all? Asphalt or concrete? Is it a ride issue or a handling issue? But most importantly, is the forum ignore threads count limit set far too low? But other than that? Not much to discuss.

Last edited:

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
Oh, I kinda do Jonathan. The car needs to be looked at by the dealer for possible mechanical issues. So to that extent there’s not much else to discuss until there’s a report on it. Well not much to discuss without a report other than the possible causes, whether there really is a bounce, or would it be best described as an oscillation? Is it a dynamically unstable oscillation or does it demonstrate positive stability? Perhaps it’s a road issue and not car related at all? Asphalt or concrete? Is it a ride issue or a handling issue? But most importantly, is the forum ignore threads count limit set far too low? But other than that? Not much to discuss.
I've been enjoying the discussion and the ability to compare notes. I have spoken to my dealer, but the cars are so new they are not sure about so many things. I'm even looking to take it to another dealer since they seem more inclined to poke around more than mine did. This thread is a lot more on topic than most so I don't get why folks decide to come and comment about it dying when they can just avoid it like I do for a ton of other threads. I mean, commenting about a thread dying keeps the thread alive does it not? Lol.