Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Eosin

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
I keep following this thread because I'm hoping the OP will update us on his dealer's response and any applicable solution found. I don't mind reading through a ton of comments if eventually the OP has an update that may help the rest of us.
Sponsored

Last edited:

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Many cars have different part numbers for front left and right struts. Shocks are part of the strut assembly and most struts are different between left and right to fit the suspension properly. My 2014 Escape, 2016 Focus and 2020 Mustang all have different part numbers for front left and right strut/shocks. The rear shocks on the Mach E are the same.

There was someone here that wanted numbers off of the struts/shocks. I was not going to go back and find the member to quote them but here are the part numbers off of the struts/shocks.

Left Front Strut LJ9C-18K001-ABE
Right Front Strut LJ9C-18045-ABE
Rear Shocks (both the same) LJ9C-18080-ABE
Vehicles '20 GT500 FPB, '21 Mach-E Premium IB
Excellent, Mark. You have started a database. If you put the details of your Mach E here or into your post, 3 things will happen.

1) Someone with a "bouncing" problem, and the same vehicle as yours, can match his suspension to yours.

2) If the numbers on the "bouncing" vehicle match, then we can kiss that theory good-bye.

3) And if no one else bothers to look up the shock numbers, as you did, then we can assume that the problem is very limited in scope.

The process of elimination. ( the act of considering and rejecting each possible choice until only one is left) . :)

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I keep following this thread because I'm hoping the OP will update us on his dealer's response and any applicable solution found. I don't mind altering through a ton of comments if eventually the OP has an update that may help the rest of us.
Unfortunately, my dealer could not get me in this week and I will be out of state with the car for about 2.5 weeks. Might want to set a reminder to check back in mid-April. I am really annoyed that I could not get the car in to be looked at by them before taking it 250 miles away for a couple weeks.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Excellent, Mark. You have started a database. If you put the details of your Mach E here or into your post, 3 things will happen.

1) Someone with a "bouncing" problem, and the same vehicle as yours, can match his suspension to yours.

2) If the numbers on the "bouncing" vehicle match, then we can kiss that theory good-bye.

3) And if no one else bothers to look up the shock numbers, as you did, then we can assume that the problem is very limited in scope.

The process of elimination. ( the act of considering and rejecting each possible choice until only one is left) . :)
Ok, I updated my post of the shock part numbers ( #201 ) with my vehicle details.

One thing I haven't done is comment on how the ride of my car is. I have only had it for 5 days and driven it about 100 miles but I don't notice any bouncing. It rides a bit smoother than my 2020 GT500 when the suspension is set to normal.

Last edited:

kdukart

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pac Hybrid, Mazda CX-5, Suburu Outback
Country flag
This thread reminds me of the olden days when people would reply all to a big mass email listserv asking that they be taken off the list. Then more people would chime in with the same request. Then more people would respond saying "don't reply all to the list when you want off the list", but that would just cause someone else to reply all asking to get off the list because all the messages were getting annoying. Someone would get mean eventually. And then someone like me would chime in at the end and philosophically point out that this is all just a microcosm for humanity and we should appreciate it in all its glory.

Then one last person would ask to get off the list.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
This thread reminds me of the olden days when people would reply all to a big mass email listserv asking that they be taken off the list. Then more people would chime in with the same request. Then more people would respond saying "don't reply all to the list when you want off the list", but that would just cause someone else to reply all asking to get off the list because all the messages were getting annoying. Someone would get mean eventually. And then someone like me would chime in at the end and philosophically point out that this is all just a microcosm for humanity and we should appreciate it in all its glory.

Then one last person would ask to get off the list.
Nothing like a good old fashioned e-mail storm! I have found great amusement in the couple that I have been a part of over the years in the massive corporation that I am a part of, but I do kind of wish that I had been able to witness Microsoft's Bedlam3 e-mail storm back in 1997.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't understand all the grief over this thread.

Did you reach your Ignore limit like that other person?
I don't either. Ride/suspension is a pretty major part of the vehicle, and a lot of people are expressing some disappointment in it (or at least have questions about it) and want to compare notes with others to see if they're experiencing similar things. Seems to me that's a big part of why these forums exist.

Some seem to be suggesting "It's called a Mustang! The ride is supposed to be crappy!". Well, that may prove to be the case, but a lot of people would at least like to compare notes to see if that's the widespread case or not. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Anyone that doesn't want to read/talk about this topic can just read the other 900 threads here. At least this thread is staying mostly on topic (ride/suspension issues). That's a helluva lot more than we can say about half the threads around here.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have a couple ideas that might help. On the tesla model Y forums a lot of people feel like the ride is too stiff (as an owner of a Y and a MME I agree the Y has a ride that's too firm) and have resorted to putting in new coilovers. Others say you don't need the coilovers and the tires are the problem. A lot of Y owners are switching to vredestein tires which are supposed to be smoother with no discernable loss of handling. Is it possible that the tires are the issue? Low rolling resistance tires are notorious for riding like crap.

Another idea I had is swapping in the MME European-spec suspension. But from what I understand the European cars have a firmer suspension and that might not be what the original poster wants.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Picked up my car from the dealer this morning. They had it for a week to replace the windshield. They had one of my spare fobs so when I drove away, the seating position was set pretty high and I started to notice more oscillation in the suspension compared to before.

At first I figured it was just because I had gotten used to the loaner Edge that I was driving but eventually I figured out it was because I was sitting too high. I went back to my original settings and the oscillating feeling went away.

Perhaps with such a low center of gravity and a very high seating position might amplify the bouncy ride syndrome that some are experiencing?

If you are able to try a much lower seating position then that might help?

Just throwing out ideas.....

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Picked up my car from the dealer this morning. They had it for a week to replace the windshield. They had one of my spare fobs so when I drove away, the seating position was set pretty high and I started to notice more oscillation in the suspension compared to before.

At first I figured it was just because I had gotten used to the loaner Edge that I was driving but eventually I figured out it was because I was sitting too high. I went back to my original settings and the oscillating feeling went away.

Perhaps with such a low center of gravity and a very high seating position might amplify the bouncy ride syndrome that some are experiencing?

If you are able to try a much lower seating position then that might help?

Just throwing out ideas.....
I wish it were that easy for me. Unfortunately, I sit with the seat in the absolute lowest position possible and I get the oscillating feeling. I'd sit even lower if the seat went lower.

LONG LIVE THIS THREAD. Only the useless survive
HEY!

I waded through 368 pages [sarcasm] of a thread about a Mexican plant where cars are made until my eyes bled. This thread just turned 8 years old and has a bright future ahead of him ?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
LONG LIVE THIS THREAD. Only the useless survive
There's an IGNORE button up top if you don't want to read about anyone having ride/suspension issues and questions.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do? InkedFirefox_Screenshot_2021-03-26T18-17-04.469Z_LI

I'm truly baffled as to why this topic is so unacceptable to some.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My mach e now has 2500 miles on it. I have not noticed the bounce for a few days now.
Sponsored