Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Dogtoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Try turning off one peddle drive. I noticed on the highway the car can feel bouncy if you are changing throttle alot. The weight shifts forward when regen breaking comes on and then back when you accel.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Try turning off one peddle drive. I noticed on the highway the car can feel bouncy if you are changing throttle alot. The weight shifts forward when regen breaking comes on and then back when you accel.
We're describing an interaction between the road surface and harmonic responses from the vehicle body... It's not our driving styles causing this type of bounce.

After some more experience with feathering your foot pressure on the accelerator pedal, you will find that one pedal driving can be finely controlled and should be an extremely smooth experience without noticeable torque responses.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I agree with @Cnote on how bad the suspension is. I find the GT very bouncy on highways speeds and stiff on small imperfections on city speeds. The suspension of the car feels just wrong when it comes to ride comfort. However handling at turns is decent and the car does not lean much.
p.s. I come from 4 years of driving Porsches with Air Suspensions and the difference in ride comfort is huge. Even my 4 year old commented how bouncy the GT is.

If I could confirm MagnaRide fixes the bounceness I will order a GTPE right away..

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
If I could confirm MagnaRide fixes the bounceness I will order a GTPE right away..
If you're anywhere near me DM me and I'll take you for a drive. NorCal's a vast area :)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I'm well aware, but this was something that was cheap and easy to try vs replacing the shocks (and it worked for someone else). With very limited options available I gave it a try. I still have the original springs but unless there are some aftermarket shocks finally available I'm not going to swap out for any more oem parts since aside from magnaride they will all still be bouncy to me.
This is why I’m a bit confused as to why you are pushing back against the shock suggestion.

Shocks are quicker and easier to install than springs typically (no spring compressor) just 2 bolts.

They’re also usually cheap.

So if “cheap and easy” is your goal…… shocks.

And most importantly…… they will probably be more likely to fix your issue.

Of course figuring out what aftermarket shocks will work……. Not sure.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
This is why I’m a bit confused as to why you are pushing back against the shock suggestion.

Shocks are quicker and easier to install than springs typically (no spring compressor) just 2 bolts.

They’re also usually cheap.

So if “cheap and easy” is your goal…… shocks.

And most importantly…… they will probably be more likely to fix your issue.

Of course figuring out what aftermarket shocks will work……. Not sure.
Im not pushing back. I simply started by trying the lowest cost option that worked for someone else and seemed to return the most bang for the buck. I didn't say anywhere that it's the last work I'll do. I was just trying to make things more bearable until other options are available.

Have you actually priced the shocks? Looked for aftermarket parts? I have and the OEM shocks are more expensive than the springs (2 springs around the cost of one shock price wise) and for now I can't find any aftermarket parts that I can be sure are compatible. I've also said that aside from magnaride which isn't an option, I don't think swapping oem shocks will make a big difference, do you? Even just a couple of posts above someone specifically mentions that the GT is still very bouncy. Which other shocks should I swap with?

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Im not pushing back. I simply started by trying the lowest cost option that worked for someone else and seemed to return the most bang for the buck. I didn't say anywhere that it's the last work I'll do. I was just trying to make things more bearable until other options are available.

Have you actually priced the shocks? Looked for aftermarket parts? I have and the OEM shocks are more expensive than the springs (2 springs around the cost of one shock price wise) and for now I can't find any aftermarket parts that I can be sure are compatible. I've also said that aside from magnaride which isn't an option, I don't think swapping oem shocks will make a big difference, do you? Even just a couple of posts above someone specifically mentions that the GT is still very bouncy. Which other shocks should I swap with?
I agree, oem shocks won’t do anything.

And OEM springs won’t fix it either if the springs aren’t the problem.

I’m just trying to offer possible solutions, but you keep pushing back on the shocks thing.

I’ll say it again: GT bouncy, GTPE not bouncy. The only difference is the shocks.

You say you aren’t pushing back, then give me a list of arguments against trying new shocks.

Where to start? Go to a suspension shop and see if you can try out some universal shocks that would fit.

karioka

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Route 1
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I felt this way too until I went on a road trip to Salt Lake, UT and noticed that the roads are so much better outside California. Very smooth indeed.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
I agree, oem shocks won’t do anything.

And OEM springs won’t fix it either if the springs aren’t the problem.

I’m just trying to offer possible solutions, but you keep pushing back on the shocks thing.

I’ll say it again: GT bouncy, GTPE not bouncy. The only difference is the shocks.

You say you aren’t pushing back, then give me a list of arguments against trying new shocks.

Where to start? Go to a suspension shop and see if you can try out some universal shocks that would fit.
You seem to think I haven't gone to shops and talked to them and been hunting for shocks even though I have already said I have been looking everywhere. I said I can't find non oem parts that fit. What are these amazing universal shocks I can try?

You can't seem to understand that I can't find anything other than oem shocks now and even you agree they won't work for me. Feel free to find me some aftermarket or universal shocks and I'll get right on it.

Last edited:

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Sorry to hear people are having this issue. That said, after reading this entire thread (though over a period of time so certainly might have forgotten parts) I still can’t figure out if the bounciness issue in non GTPEs:
  • Varies from car to car
  • Affects a minority or majority of drivers
  • Is subjective, with different people driving the exact same car reacting differently
  • Is influenced by one’s experience with other cars they’ve driven or currently drive
  • Is due to different road characteristics
  • Can change behavior over time
  • Depends on whether the car has an extended battery
  • Is modifiable, though some have suggested it can be after replacing certain components of the suspension
I didn’t notice it or at least nothing jumped out at me in a 20 min test drive and had started to read this thread so specifically looked for it (my wife was in the front and 2 kids in the back). We all found the ride comfortable, fortunately. Just hope that continues when I get my MME (sometime this Spring I hope).

Hang in there and I hope the various maneuvers you guys try will fix or at least lessen the problem!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Sorry to hear people are having this issue. That said, after reading this entire thread (though over a period of time so certainly might have forgotten parts) I still can’t figure out if the bounciness issue in non GTPEs:
  • Varies from car to car
  • Affects a minority or majority of drivers
  • Is subjective, with different people driving the exact same car reacting differently
  • Is influenced by one’s experience with other cars they’ve driven or currently drive
  • Is due to different road characteristics
  • Can change behavior over time
  • Depends on whether the car has an extended battery
  • Is modifiable, though some have suggested it can be after replacing certain components of the suspension
I didn’t notice it or at least nothing jumped out at me in a 20 min test drive and had started to read this thread so specifically looked for it (my wife was in the front and 2 kids in the back). We all found the ride comfortable, fortunately. Just hope that continues when I get my MME (sometime this Spring I hope).

Hang in there and I hope the various maneuvers you guys try will fix or at least lessen the problem!
I read through your bulleted list. In my subjective opinion, I think all bullets are appropriate except for "can change behavior over time."

Okay yes, mine seems to have mellowed out a bit after the first 1,000 miles, but I think not by much and mostly I think it's just me knowing when to expect the yucky bounces and to set my mindset accordingly.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I read through your bulleted list. In my subjective opinion, I think all bullets are appropriate except for "can change behavior over time."

Okay yes, mine seems to have mellowed out a bit after the first 1,000 miles, but I think not by much and mostly I think it's just me knowing when to expect the yucky bounces and to set my mindset accordingly.
I remember posts from some forum members who said it went away with time or miles. One said the bounce was gone after his car sat in his garage for several weeks, which doesn't make sense but that is what he reported.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I remember posts from some forum members who said it went away with time or miles. One said the bounce was gone after his car sat in his garage for several weeks, which doesn't make sense but that is what he reported.
Yeah I was just reporting my personal experience here.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You seem to think I haven't gone to shops and talked to them and been hunting for shocks even though I have already said I have been looking everywhere. I said I can't find non oem parts that fit. What are these amazing universal shocks I can try?

You can't seem to understand that I can't find anything other than oem shocks now and even you agree they won't work for me. Feel free to find me some aftermarket or universal shocks and I'll get right on it.
I have no clue what you have or haven’t done. I just don’t understand why it seems like you’re attacking me for suggesting possible solutions.

In answer to where to get “universal fit shocks,” the answer is any auto parts store. Summit has over 2,000 available:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/shocks-and-struts/universal/yes

As far as the exact length and type? Ask a suspension expert.

Maybe reach out to the sponsor on this page?https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-lowering-spring-development.6353/

If he can develop new springs he should know what length shocks will work.
Sponsored

Last edited: