Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
It’s not speculation when the sway bar is bound in the bushings
It's designed that way. The bushing is made up of at least two different types of rubber. The outer is firm and stiff. The inner which is affixed to the bar is a softer rubber and flexes with the bar.

I can see the rubber softening a bit over time but I don't think that rubber is adding any perceivable difference that couldn't be overcome with proper damping.
Sponsored

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
It's designed that way. The bushing is made up of at least two different types of rubber. The outer is firm and stiff. The inner which is affixed to the bar is a softer rubber and flexes with the bar.

I can see the rubber softening a bit over time but I don't think that rubber is adding any perceivable difference that couldn't be overcome with proper damping.
The bushing is a composite construct with a metal inner band. If the bar is bound in the bushing then it is not rotating and functioning as a sway bar. It’s instead acting like a leaf spring off a corvette. The shock can’t handle double or triple the spring rate

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
Do we know that that for sure loosen up? I feel like someone had over 10k miles that did a mod and tried to loosen the bushings but they wouldn't budge. I don't think they loosen at 10k or at all lol.
You’re right there is a good possibility they will never loosen especially if your car never sees rain.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The bushing is a composite construct with a metal inner band. If the bar is bound in the bushing then it is not rotating and functioning as a sway bar. It’s instead acting like a leaf spring off a corvette. The shock can’t handle double or triple the spring rate
Could this be solved with some silicone spray in the bushings?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I am not disagreeing with your theory, because it sounds reasonable. But the straight line bounce is exactly the same in my car after replacing the sway bars. I wish that were not the case, but it is.

@tannerk89 put them on his Premium and he feels the bounce is better, but that is only one data point and this is a very subjective problem.

We just don't have enough data that supports your theory. Yet. If we can get a few more Premium people to replace both front and back bars, we might have something more than speculation.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's not "bound" in the bar. The rubber is moving with the sway bar. It's twisting and flexing with the bar with the softer inner rubber allowing that flex.

It's definitely not acting like a leaf spring. Take off the endlinks and pull on the bar. You'll get it to move.

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
MedTech Software Engineer.
Country flag
I am not disagreeing with your theory, because it sounds reasonable. But the straight line bounce is exactly the same in my car after replacing the sway bars. I wish that were not the case, but it is.

@tannerk89 put them on his Premium and he feels the bounce is better, but that is only one data point and this is a very subjective problem.

We just don't have enough data that supports your theory. Yet. If we can get a few more Premium people to replace both front and back bars, we might have something more than speculation.
I was going to provide another datapoint. Scheduled to install both front and back sway bars tomorrow with @markboris but got extremely unlucky with the HVBJB SVS fault last night. Now gotta wait for diagnostics at the dealership on Tuesday, and the following repairs.

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag

Understood. I just get so frustrated that the Mach e is such a great little platform that checks all the boxes. Just got rushed to market under the “we’ll finish it later” Tesla type mantra. Frustrating

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
It's not "bound" in the bar. The rubber is moving with the sway bar. It's twisting and flexing with the bar with the softer inner rubber allowing that flex.

It's definitely not acting like a leaf spring. Take off the endlinks and pull on the bar. You'll get it to move.
What are the free degrees of rotation of the bar in the soft runner inner bushing race?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What are the free degrees of rotation of the bar in the soft runner inner bushing race?
roughly 5.86 degrees of free rotation from the center axial point at rest with a progressive increase in resistance as force applied beyond.

Did you really ask that question?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
roughly 5.86 degrees of free rotation from the center axial point at rest with a progressive increase in resistance as force applied beyond.

Did you really ask that question?
Are you sure it isn't 5.87?

dphunky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-E AWD Premium
Country flag
I basically have to slow down to 1 mph to go over each bump - otherwise the passengers will feel a harsh thrashing (a few weeks ago, a rear passenger asked if something was wrong with my suspension
Same here. Then a long line of cars from behind me cause I’m going too slow lol. I haven’t had to do this since my lowered integra in high school.

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
Could this be solved with some silicone spray in the bushings?
You could try it though it be questionable if it’d be able to penetrate enough to make a difference. It’d have to be really really thin to get in there.

MMENJ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Wrangler 4xE, 23 Mach E GT-“Julius”
Country flag
General question, I know I can search but maybe someone can chime in? Has anyone driven a Select/Premium and GT or GTPE? Ride quality differences? I have a Select AWD and not complaining about the ride, it’s a little bumpy but I wasn’t expecting the smoothest ride in the world. Does it get smoother as you go up in trims?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
General question, I know I can search but maybe someone can chime in? Has anyone driven a Select/Premium and GT or GTPE? Ride quality differences? I have a Select AWD and not complaining about the ride, it’s a little bumpy but I wasn’t expecting the smoothest ride in the world. Does it get smoother as you go up in trims?
I have read probably 1,000+ posts on this subject. It seems like the ride quality in the non-GT models is similar, but I wonder about cars with the smaller battery and how that compares with larger battery cars. I have not seen anyone post about the differences but those who complain seem to be complaining about the same thing.

The GT models have a different suspension, with the GT-PE using an active suspension. So those are definitely different from the non-GT models. I don't think the GT has as much as a bounce issue as the non-GTs, but there have been similar complaints posted here.

My GT does not seem to bounce like others have described, but that may be more of a function of the roads I drive on. I do notice the lack of damping, especially in the front.

Here is an interesting article about the handling in the new Audi Q4. Sounds just like what we are complaining about in this thread.

" The Q4's suspension tuning is also less than ideal. We know Audi knows how to dial in a suspension—the new A3 is a wonderful example of comfortable but firm and well-controlled ride quality—but the Q4 feels oversprung and underdamped. We experienced minor but persistent head toss, which would have been more frustrating were the seat not so comfortable and well padded. "

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...09965E11FB59567AFE0652148F3DF3D19A3D2431110F4
Sponsored