Can't open driver's door first

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I searched but didn't find similar issue. I had my Mach-E on February 12th. Until March 5, nearly everything works great (got a few bugs and wind noise and a low windshield washer light that doesn't come off).

But since last week, the car doest seem to detect my keyfob. When I approach the car, mirror doesn't unfold, keypad doesn't light and nothing happens if I try to open the door. Even if I push unlock on the keyfob, the doors unlock but I can't still open it. There are few walkaround
- Open the trunk first
- Open the rear passenger door first
- One time (I have this on video), after several unsuccessful attempts, I push unlock on the fob and it opens the door without touching it

One weird thing that happens a few times while doing the rear passenger door walkaround is that after I tried to open my door first without succes, I go to the rear passenger door and when I push the rear button, both rear passenger and driver's door opens at the same time. I don't have it on video, I tried twice but it didn't work.

But in short, since 4 days, I can't enter the car withouth opening the trunk or another door first. I can live with a few bugs while I wait for the first OTA but not being able to enter in the car bothers me a lot. I wasn't a fan of those door handles at first, why change door handles that worked since 100 years. My fear are now real. I don't know how it will be corrected and I now think about how much that kind of trouble will cost after the warranty expires?
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Very odd! So I assume it isn't just a delay? I get it where if I am too quick and push the button it won't open right away but if I wait a second it two it will.

Yours sounds like an issue with the solenoid? Maybe sticking?

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Very odd! So I assume it isn't just a delay? I get it where if I am too quick and push the button it won't open right away but if I wait a second it two it will.

Yours sounds like an issue with the solenoid? Maybe sticking?
At first the problem is that the car doesn't seem to detect I'm near it. The mirror should unfold when you get near but it's not working anymore. And It worked for 3 weeks every single times so it's definatly not me or the way I push the button.

It's not the solenoid either, I would hear something and why would it open if I open the rear door first? And if it didn'tdetect me, the rear door wouldn't open either. I don't see the logic of that problem

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Try opening it twice. I press the site and it does nothing then the archive time I push it will work.
Most times it will work first though.

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Try opening it twice. I press the site and it does nothing then the archive time I push it will work.
Most times it will work first though.
I have a video where I push it about 10 times without success. And when I pushed unlock on the keyfob the door pops open.

I think that’s the problem. The car doesn’t unlock. The door tries to open because it detects my fob but it doesn’t unlock. So probably then when I push the rear door button or the keyfob unlock button, the door pops because it was trying while unlocked. Hummm, no because on my video I clearly unlock the car with the fob and it still doesn’t work until I press at least one other time. I’ll make a few more test

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
I have a video where I push it about 10 times without success. And when I pushed unlock on the keyfob the door pops open.

I think that’s the problem. The car doesn’t unlock. The door tries to open because it detects my fob but it doesn’t unlock. So probably then when I push the rear door button or the keyfob unlock button, the door pops because it was trying while unlocked. Hummm, no because on my video I clearly unlock the car with the fob and it still doesn’t work until I press at least one other time. I’ll make a few more test
Yeah I kept the fob on me then I decided to put it away and go phone only. It's getting better. Still the odd delay. Unlock and it says no key to start. Then it kicks in no issue.
But then I get brief delays with my phone and other connected items occasionally too.

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Yeah I kept the fob on me then I decided to put it away and go phone only. It's getting better. Still the odd delay. Unlock and it says no key to start. Then it kicks in no issue.
But then I get brief delays with my phone and other connected items occasionally too.
I tried with phone only but I had the same issue. And my PAAK doesn't work well, bluetooth is always off in the app, I have to play with the app, close it, refresh, etc. I didn't find the magic way to turn the bluetooth on but when I do, it's the same as the keyfob. I also tried the opposite, trying with my keyfob only and no phone in case it makes a conflict and it changed nothing.

But like I said in my first post, what's curious is that it worked 100% of the time for 3 full weeks and I liked that.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Something's clearly not right. I think you're going to have to bring it in to the dealer, unfortunately.

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
At first the problem is that the car doesn't seem to detect I'm near it. The mirror should unfold when you get near but it's not working anymore. And It worked for 3 weeks every single times so it's definatly not me or the way I push the button.
Mine doesn’t work that way. When I approach the car the welcome and puddle lights come on. The mirrors do not unfold until I hit the door button and it unlocks.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
@Wildthing - could you send me your VIN? I want to pull any codes your car is throwing off of Fords database. I'm interested to see what the RFA says among other things.

That is odd. I've seen that happen on other Fords when "intelligent access" gets turned off but I don't think that is the case for you.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

Please have it checked by the dealer. It may be mechanical/electrical component issue on top of issues with detection

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

It's not the solenoid either, I would hear something and why would it open if I open the rear door first? And if it didn'tdetect me, the rear door wouldn't open either. I don't see the logic of that problem
It is an oddity. I mean the fact that other doors open means the key is working at least partly.

As far as why the front door opens after other doors, perhaps there is just enough resistance to keep it shut until one of the other doors opens, releasing the resistance.

Kerpazm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4X FE
Country flag
I had a similar issue--the exterior controls on the front passenger door wouldn't lock/unlock the car (but it would open if the car was locked), and the driver's door exterior lock control wouldn't work. I took it to the dealer, and after having the car for almost the full day (and repeated back and forth with Ford corporate), they seemed to fix it with a reboot and software update. It was the first MME that the dealer was servicing, and they had no existing service bulletins for the issue.

The dealer kept the ticket open with Ford, and I got a text from the service tech yesterday that they want to "replace one module that works with the antenna for the keys." They have a part on order, and they're going to contact me when it comes in to make another service appointment.

I guess this is a long way of saying, the car is still under warranty, so there's no harm in taking it to the dealer. Plus, as we are early adopters, it is in Ford's best interest to make sure we're happy with our cars so that we can provide good word of mouth for the inevitable people who stop us in the parking lot to ask us about our new cars. ;)

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Does anyone know how to "reboot" the car? I've been having random issues crop up and rebooting Sync hasn't seemed to help.

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I went to the dealer, he took note, he saw nothing in the system.

But I made a few more test. The real problem is that the car won't unlock as I approach. And pushing the driver's door button don't unlock it either.

If I push the driver's door, I don't hear anything but clearly the car wants to open the door because if I quickly push the rear door button or the unlock button on the keybob, the door pops open each time.

Easy fix for now until I go to the dealer is to unlock the car with the button on the fob like we did back in the days in 2008 :). The driver's door button clearly works,the problem is with the unlocking.
Sponsored