Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
This brings up a question I have been thinking of that may have bearing on this discussion.

For EVs with Regen breaking (and the Mach-e in particular), how do you properly seat the brake pads? It seems you don't really have enough control to go through the normal regimen.

Tirerack summary of methods
accelerate then put car in neutral, slam brakes. car doesnt regen in neutral
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Go to One Pedal driving and treat stops like you would on a motorcycle or bike, no jerking because you do no want to fall over.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Didn’t really help.

To be clear, it only happens right before the completely stop. Slowing down, even to a crawl is super smooth but then there’s just a a big jolt between barely moving and the complete stop.
Mine does not seem as abrupt as yours. I’m one pedal, unbridled, AWD Ext range and as the regen is stopping the car it can feel like a 70’s Lincoln stop with “swaying back & forth” with rusted spring sound. Hate it but minor in the big scheme.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
This brings up a question I have been thinking of that may have bearing on this discussion.

For EVs with Regen breaking (and the Mach-e in particular), how do you properly seat the brake pads? It seems you don't really have enough control to go through the normal regimen.
Putting the car in neutral disables regen. You're 100% friction brakes then. I do this to clean the rust off of the rotors sometimes. I've done it in all previous EVs and PHEVs I've owned/driven.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Thanks all - I hadn't thought about using neutral, but that is a good solution

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That‘s just how the blending braking works. Keep driving until you get used to it.
This too.. I have to admit the first few weeks I had the car my stops were a little bit jerky, but now they are pretty smooth. You find the point where you are slowed down enough that you can just take your foot off the brake and let the regen braking finish the job.

Mach-e4x

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e 4x, 2016 Mazda CX5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks all - I hadn't thought about using neutral, but that is a good solution
You don't need to put it in neutral! I would not do that.
One pedal driving and auto hold is all you need to do, if it's still jerky take it back to dealer for service.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The jerk may be improved now with powertrain software updates, I recall some members expressing the car was smoother braking after having the latest fan noise TSB update applied, which updates all the powertrain modules. Worth asking for at your dealer if it bothers you.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hi guys. Kind of a noob question here. Just picked up an AWD Mach e. Love it for the most part but one thing I can’t seem to really get used to is the “jolt” when braking and coming to a stop. I’ve tried all drives modes and while that changes brake sensitivity, they all still have that same jolt sensation just before you come to a complete stop. Like the equivalent if one were to slam on their brakes but going only a few mph.

Any advice here? Does this happen to be because it’s an AWD?

thanks!

I would suggest 1-p mode as a first step.... why not capture all that braking energy to extend your range when you can? The auto-hold setting seems to be designed to work with 1-p on, and is quite smooth in my experience. With a little practice you can get good at 1-p driving and glide up to a smooth stop without ever touching the brakes.

Before you do anything though, you might want to properly 'bed in' the brakes.... involves some repeated moderate braking from 45-15mph to warm up rotors, and then 5 or 10 HARD braking events from 60mph to 15mph to get pads and rotors really smoking HOT. Like so hard the ABS comes on.

Then highway driving for 10-15 minutes to let the rotors cool evenly before parking.

Proper bedding transfers some pad material to rotor, which reduces 'slip-stick' and reduces rusting on the rotor surface. It really should be done as part of Dealer prep, but is a good idea for all new cars and whenever you change brake pads.

Besides, it will give you a really good idea just how fast your car will brake when you jam on the brakes.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Folks can't understand how blended brakes work now. :rolleyes:

I'm just dreading the inevitable winter weather 'Brakes are grinding, my car is junk" thread that will get to 45 pages and end next April....

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I'm still trying to understand how that jerk happens in your MME. Mine is buttery smooth, no jerk, when slowing down to a stop. I drive in one pedal mode mostly. You quickly learn how to come off the accelerator, feathering if necessary, to a smooth stop. It becomes pretty natural after a while.
Sponsored