Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
This is absolutely ridiculous.

@Ford Motor Company change the software limitation on the GTs

Why even make the "Mustang" Mach-E GT if you're going to let it get gapped on the interstate by an F-150 hauling a family on their way to Animal Kingdom?

Last edited:

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
That's sad and really embarrassing for Ford and an egg on their face. They are giving all the ICE Mustang people who hate the Mach-E even more fuel for their fire.

I expect that they will probably release a new version of the GTPE, perhaps a Shelby, that has the F150 battery and maybe motors which doesn't overheat the components and have the dreaded 5-second limit.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Dave Parasek, you should be fired.

Give us the car that you promised in this video

That video had me wishing my wife would’ve picked a GT over a 4X. It was “misleading” to say the least.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, Ford intentionally wants to piss you off so they're withholding a software fix for the 5 second rule. I know for a fact Jim Farley has your picture on his dartboard.

That, or the fact that the lightning has dual cooling loops on the battery allows it to keep chugging after 5 seconds - which may be why Ford hasn't said anything because it's a hardware limitation that an OTA can't do anything about.

Hard to say which it really is

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
@timbop Ford is intentionally pissing everyone off by not saying anything about anything.

As it sits, "No response is a response" and it's the type of response that does nothing but infuriate its customers that it supposedly values.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
@timbop Ford is intentionally pissing everyone off by not saying anything about anything.

As it sits, "No response is a response" and it's the type of response that does nothing but infuriate its customers that it supposedly values.
I suspect the only honest response is "We screwed up by underpowering the cooling of the Mach-E GT's and we can't do anything about it now". Since they can't possibly say that, would you prefer they lie to you or make up a lame excuse?

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Yes, Ford intentionally wants to piss you off so they're withholding a software fix for the 5 second rule. I know for a fact Jim Farley has your picture on his dartboard.

That, or the fact that the lightning has dual cooling loops on the battery allows it to keep chugging after 5 seconds - which may be why Ford hasn't said anything because it's a hardware limitation that an OTA can't do anything about.

But GT batteries aren’t getting too hot, no?

Said this before, I’m 47 and clearly remember the 1999 SVT Cobra debacle. Class action suit, recalls, “the fix”, owners finally got their 320 rated HP. Ford had to reflash the ECU, install new “fixed” intake manifolds and exhaust systems.

My belief is the only thing preventing a similar uproar and resulting class action now is that 80-90% of GT owners are so smitten with their 3.6-3.8 0-60 times that they look past the hobbling that occurs around 80mph. Those that drag race or live in states with 70-85mph speed limits are SOL.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

I bought the GTPE purely for the magneride so am going to be in a small camp compared to those getting one for the promise of performance. If nothing can be done then so be it, it is what it is.

My major problem with that is that engineering limitations, the issue is that the GT/GTPE has been in customers hands for nearly a year so we all know by performance metrics it is a turd but Ford are still marketing it on the performance with any mention of the serious limitations buried away in the finest of print that are hard to find which is quite frankly dishonesty of the highest order.

I have certainly enjoyed my GTPE for the reasons I purchased it to the point that I will certainly be getting another EV as my next vehicle purchase with an eye for performance and yet despite owning numerous performance Fords over the years the chances of that next EV purchase being a Ford are currently at 0%

Doesn't matter how good they make the next one sound on paper the GTPE has shown me whatever Ford marketing promise on performance even when taking into account the typical exaggeration you expect from marketing, what engineering actual deliver falls flat on its face.

I will keep an keen eye on how Ford address this GT/GTPE elephant in the room but on current form I suspect the chances of me getting another Ford EV in my future are going to remain at 0% for a very long time.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I suspect the only honest response is "We screwed up by underpowering the cooling of the Mach-E GT's and we can't do anything about it now". Since they can't possibly say that, would you prefer they lie to you or make up a lame excuse?
The honest response is the honest response.

But we DO NOT know if the car can handle more than 5 seconds, and Ford hasnt said squat.

We also know they raised the usable capacity from 88 to 91 and increased the charging curve above 80%. No hardware changes necessary.

But at this point I would be happy with either of the following:

1. we will not change the limit
Or
2. We are working on it

Instead the silence is deafening.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Who knows?! But, once we have a reason/explanation then either Ford or the aftermarket can start to engineer either a software or hardware solution. If that solution is not viable from a business perspective then we'll just have to wait for Ford to make the proper changes in a future model year. Either way, at least owners will know and at least we'll have a better shot at coming up with a solution to this.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Since this thread is about the Lightning…..

This is stinking impressive: “ But, surprisingly, in our 30–50-mph and 50–70-mph passing tests, the Lightning essentially ties the Rivian (0.1 second quicker in the former, and 0.1 second slower in the latter).”

The Rivian is insane fast and destroys the Mach E GT.
Sponsored