Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Maybe the “working as designed” part is no comment, but the 2nd part of the comment stings a lot:

We asked Ford why, and a spokesperson said that "the car is performing as expected" and reminded us that the "GT was designed around everyday usable performance for fun, not drag-strip duels or lap times." That's a rather strange cop-out on a car that has an Unbridled Extended drive mode that's for track use only.

Not designed for drag strip or lap times. SERIOUSLY WTF??

Literally every piece of advertising for the GTPE mentions acceleration times and the marketing videos show it driving around a race track.

Hell, even the press even was centered around driving it on an AutoX track!!!

This would be like building a truck with an off-road package, showing it driving off-road, doing press events off-road………. Then telling you the truck “isn’t designed for off-road use.”
It is deceptive. They give a spec for hp and torque but it's only momentary. That should have been in the spec also. There could be court room battles over this for those who bought before this was public information. I just wish they would make Magneride an option on the Premium.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It is deceptive. They give a spec for hp and torque but it's only momentary. That should have been in the spec also. There could be court room battles over this for those who bought before this was public information. I just wish they would make Magneride an option on the Premium.
I would argue it still isn’t “public information.”

We figured it out, but Ford hasn’t disclosed Jack $h!t on the subject. At least not in the US, they have 1 tiny disclaimer on a press release on the Ford euro site. Not exactly transparent.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag

We figured it out, but Ford hasn’t disclosed Jack $h!t on the subject. At least not in the US, they have 1 tiny disclaimer on a press release on the Ford euro site. Not exactly transparent.
You may be onto something.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

I’m old enough to remember this one time back in 1999….. so, I still say this has 1999 SVT Cobra debacle written all over it. And we know what Ford had to do that time, it was called “the fix”.

“The Fix 2, Electric Boogaloo” is what this one will be called. If you don’t get the reference just google Breakin’ 2.

Riotous

First Name
Riotous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Well Car & Driver awarded the Mach-e their EV of the Year award. and the poll at the end has the Mach-e ahead, 60/40, in spite of the considerably negative review, so... these guys just hate that it's badged a Mustang and a GT. I get it. Imagine if they called it the FordEcoSport GT instead? It'd would the baddest car of the 21st century. Sigh.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Well Car & Driver awarded the Mach-e their EV of the Year award. and the poll at the end has the Mach-e ahead, 60/40, in spite of the considerably negative review, so... these guys just hate that it's badged a Mustang and a GT. I get it. Imagine if they called it the FordEcoSport GT instead? It'd would the baddest car of the 21st century. Sigh.
Bad take. Using the Mustang name was a great marketing move. It also created expectations. And Ford, by way of interviews with the project mgr. and various engineers, videos of GTs tearing ass around road courses, and countless marketing pieces touting 0-60 times and hp/tq figures reinforced said expectations.

3 expectations no sane person had:

1. As quick as a Model Y Performance to 60mph but .6-.9 secs slower to the 1/4 mile with a trap speed 8-13mph slower.

2. 1-1.3 secs quicker to 60 mph and .8-1.2 secs quicker to the 1/4 than a 346/428 hp/tq MME 4X but the same or even lower trap speed at the 1/4 mile. That is hard to do folks.

3. 2.1 secs behind a 4X to 110mph. Possibly the most damning stat yet. I mean, seriously, that is just abominable. That equates to a few bus lengths, forget car lengths.

The other problem I’m seeing pertains to the future. Mustangs are going hybrid electric in less than 3 years and BEV is probably here in 5-6. So, what exactly is the buying public’s first exposure to an EV with the name Mustang GT on it going to be? Because as of this moment it is a GT that gets its ass handed to it not only by the ugly, poorly built, interiorless competition, but, also by a “lesser” stablemate in areas that matter to many performance enthusiasts.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I’m old enough to remember this one time back in 1999….. so, I still say this has 1999 SVT Cobra debacle written all over it. And we know what Ford had to do that time, it was called “the fix”.

“The Fix 2, Electric Boogaloo” is what this one will be called. If you don’t get the reference just google Breakin’ 2.
I sure hope you are right. I was driving a 97 Cobra when the 99 Cobra debacle happened. The press on the 99 Cobra was similar... The LS1 cars smoked it, and it was no faster, or perhaps slower, than the 96-98 cars. Ford took action. We will see. Then two friends bought 01 Cobras on 0%/60 after 9/11.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Bad take. Using the Mustang name was a great marketing move. It also created expectations. And Ford, by way of interviews with the project mgr. and various engineers, videos of GTs tearing ass around road courses, and countless marketing pieces touting 0-60 times and hp/tq figures reinforced said expectations.

3 expectations no sane person had:

1. As quick as a Model Y Performance to 60mph but .6-.9 secs slower to the 1/4 mile with a trap speed 8-13mph slower.

2. 1-1.3 secs quicker to 60 mph and .8-1.2 secs quicker to the 1/4 than a 346/428 hp/tq MME 4X but the same or even lower trap speed at the 1/4 mile. That is hard to do folks.

3. 2.1 secs behind a 4X to 110mph. Possibly the most damning stat yet. I mean, seriously, that is just abominable. That equates to a few bus lengths, forget car lengths.

The other problem I’m seeing pertains to the future. Mustangs are going hybrid electric in less than 3 years and BEV is probably here in 5-6. So, what exactly is the buying public’s first exposure to an EV with the name Mustang GT on it going to be? Because as of this moment it is a GT that gets its ass handed to it not only by the ugly, poorly built, interiorless competition, but, also by a “lesser” stablemate in areas that matter to many performance enthusiasts.
Yeah #3 is bad…… really bad.

At first we had assumed a GT turns into a 4x when the gray bars of death show up.

Now we know it’s actually slower. And since it’s faster to 60, that means from 60-110 it’s going to be over 3 seconds slower when going from a dig.

No wonder Ford hasn’t been forthright about the HP with and without boost.

Would anyone buying a GT be happy with “off boost horsepower” that’s LOWER than a 4X???

Anyone have twitter to send their “thoughts” to Ford to see what they say?
Sponsored