MessyJessie

First Name
Jessie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mach e gtpe
Country flag
While many believe this to be true.....it isn't.
Drive in whatever mode you prefer. The efficiency is largely determined by driving style. The various modes have very very very little variation between them in terms of efficiency.
This was exactly my next question, how much difference in efficiency over long trips is it between the different modes? lol I travel 230 miles one way about once a week, and (in the summer) can get there with about 8-15% left on battery most times in whisper mode. I've been making the drive in whisper because I thought it was the most efficient mode.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This was exactly my next question, how much difference in efficiency over long trips is it between the different modes? lol I travel 230 miles one way about once a week, and (in the summer) can get there with about 8-15% left on battery most times in whisper mode. I've been making the drive in whisper because I thought it was the most efficient mode.
According to Ford, there is no difference in efficiency between the drive modes.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
All the modes are equally efficient according to Ford. Your driving style and external temperatures are going to affect your efficiency the most.

The accelerator pedal is mapped according to drive mode. For example, in Whisper mode, you might not be at 100% throttle unless the pedal is mashed to the floor. (I don't know if that's where 100% is mapped, but let's go with it for the sake of the discussion.) At the opposite end, in Unbridled, the throttle might map to 100% when the pedal is halfway down. It makes the pedal feel more "responsive" because there's a shorter throw between 0 and 100. If you feather the pedal skillfully, 25% power is 25% power regardless if the pedal is Πof the way down (in Whisper) or 1/16th of the way down (in Unbridled).

Said another way, if it takes you six seconds to go from 0-60 in Unbridled or six seconds to go from 0-60 in Whisper, you're using the same amount of power—you're just pushing the accelerator closer to the firewall.

Some people prefer Whisper for long trips because 1) it quiets the propulsion sound if you don't have it turned off in all modes already, 2) lightens the steering, and 3) smooths out some of the "jerkiness" of acceleration and deceleration if you're not great at controlling it manually. Lightening the steering can help reduce fatigue a little over hours of driving, but these are all minor tweaks.

My recommendation is to find the mode that suits you best among Whisper, Engage, and Unbridled, figure out if 1PD is for you or not, and let it roll!

ryano7700

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
I had been driving in "whisper" mode w/o 1-pedal because I like the smoothness of the drive and I thought it would be more efficient. Like someone said it seems like it will coast forever. I had a Prius for years and "Pulse and Glide" was the trick to maximize MPG. However, the other day, I drove it in 1-pedal "Unbridled" for one of my shorter trips. What would normally take 5% battery. Took maybe 3%. And the ambient air temperature had dropped significantly from other drives. I thought maybe my battery power indicator was malfunctioning. However, now I am thinking maybe it is more efficient for battery charge to be in 1-pedal.

This was just a one-day experiment; I will test this more on my longer commutes. (~25 miles).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I had been driving in "whisper" mode w/o 1-pedal because I like the smoothness of the drive and I thought it would be more efficient. Like someone said it seems like it will coast forever. I had a Prius for years and "Pulse and Glide" was the trick to maximize MPG. However, the other day, I drove it in 1-pedal "Unbridled" for one of my shorter trips. What would normally take 5% battery. Took maybe 3%. And the ambient air temperature had dropped significantly from other drives. I thought maybe my battery power indicator was malfunctioning. However, now I am thinking maybe it is more efficient for battery charge to be in 1-pedal.

This was just a one-day experiment; I will test this more on my longer commutes. (~25 miles).

Has anyone else noticed this?
Percent used is not the way to measure efficiency. It’s always changing and not accurate anyways.

Hypermiling rules for hybrids don’t apply to electric cars.

These are direct drive motors. It’s just a big math formula. It takes a certain amount of energy to move mass a certain distance.

Efficiency changes based on speed, weather and how you drive. Drive mode doesn’t change anything other than throttle and regen response.

You can get identical amounts of acceleration and regen in ANY mode based on how you push the gas and brake pedals.

Whisper is easier to drive smoothly than unbridled with 1PD, but you can still get identical amounts of acceleration and regen in each mode.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag

These are direct drive motors. It’s just a big math formula. It takes a certain amount of energy to move mass a certain distance.
Well said - this is one area where hybrid instincts serve us wrong. A hybrid is more complex than either an ICE or EV, and most of the range extending techniques are intended to carefully balance the two modes and adapt to the behavior of CVT transmissions and small gas engines.

An EV is a tremendously simple vehicle by comparison - the faster it goes, and the faster it accelerates, the more energy it uses. If you accelerate slower and go slower, you use less. All the drive modes and L mode etc., are just there for your comfort and convenience - use whichever just "feels" best to you.

ryano7700

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
Percent used is not the way to measure efficiency. It’s always changing and not accurate anyways.

Efficiency changes based on speed, weather and how you drive. Drive mode doesn’t change anything other than throttle and regen response.

You can get identical amounts of acceleration and regen in ANY mode based on how you push the gas and brake pedals.

Whisper is easier to drive smoothly than unbridled with 1PD, but you can still get identical amounts of acceleration and regen in each mode.
Thank you for the response.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
The brake lights don't come on in "L" mode. I use L mode in whisper for most of my driving. If i want to coast, i just tap the L, and it brakes hard enough and i know for certain that the mechanical brakes won't come on.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The brake lights don't come on in "L" mode. I use L mode in whisper for most of my driving. If i want to coast, i just tap the L, and it brakes hard enough and i know for certain that the mechanical brakes won't come on.
The brake lights will come on in L mode, just like they will with one-pedal drive enabled.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
The brake lights will come on in L mode, just like they will with one-pedal drive enabled.
This hasn't been my experience. In the mountains at night if I am doing 60 and completely let off the gas in "L" mode, and "whisper", I get no brake lights. I then apply the brakes to verify what I'm seeing. They might come on if you're in "L" with "engaged" or "unbridled".

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This hasn't been my experience. In the mountains at night if I am doing 60 and completely let off the gas in "L" mode, and "whisper", I get no brake lights. I then apply the brakes to verify what I'm seeing. They might come on if you're in "L" with "engaged" or "unbridled".
I think it depends on your deceleration.

If you’re going down a mountain, you aren’t slowing down much and the lights wouldn’t come on.

Test again on flat ground or uphill.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
I think it depends on your deceleration.

If you’re going down a mountain, you aren’t slowing down much and the lights wouldn’t come on.

I think it's time for you to go and test on your car. I did it again tonight. One pedal drive off, "L" mode selected, 70mph down a steep mountain grade in pitch black. No brake lights in any mode when fully lifting off the throttle for more than 5 seconds. The only time the brake lights came on was when i pressed on the brake pedal.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think it's time for you to go and test on your car. I did it again tonight. One pedal drive off, "L" mode selected, 70mph down a steep mountain grade in pitch black. No brake lights in any mode when fully lifting off the throttle for more than 5 seconds. The only time the brake lights came on was when i pressed on the brake pedal.
I think you missed the part where he said it won't work going down a mountain. Since you aren't slowing down very fast. It's looking at your MPH/sec decel rate.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag