billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I recently got an email from Ford offering 15% off parts and accessories. I was excited to use it to buy the official Ford cover for the MME, only to find that the product has been removed from the Ford catalog ?

I called Ford and my local dealer and they have no idea when it will be back.

Does anyone have any experience with third-party car covers that they would recommend? My MME is black and I'm super paranoid about scratching or swirling the clear coat, so I'm a bit cautious here.
Sponsored

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I recently got an email from Ford offering 15% off parts and accessories. I was excited to use it to buy the official Ford cover for the MME, only to find that the product has been removed from the Ford catalog ?

I called Ford and my local dealer and they have no idea when it will be back.

Does anyone have any experience with third-party car covers that they would recommend? My MME is black and I'm super paranoid about scratching or swirling the clear coat, so I'm a bit cautious here.
Unfortunately, I don't have suggestions for a car cover. But if your goal is to avoid scratches and swirls, I suggest you avoid getting a car cover. IMO, the car cover itself over time becomes a source of scratches and swirls. Instead, I would look into 1) paint protection such as ceramic coatings and PPF and 2) car wash materials and methods to reduce and minimize scratches and swirls.

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Levittown Ford appears to have them (the Ford cover) in stock - at least I was able to put one in a cart and get shipping information. here is a link. https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/vmj8z-19a412-a.html
I purchased one and really like it for protection from sap, leaves, light branches, etc Water resistant but not waterproof. Think thicker than parachute material but similar. Form fitting too. Do a forum search for reviews by me and others and I hope it's really available, if you choose.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Just a word to the wise: Even though the car cover has an opening for the charge port, do not charge your car with L2 or faster charging with the cover on the car. It blocks both the air inlets and the air outlets for the cooling system. Lift the front of the cover off of the car enough to expose the front bumper, hood, and base of the windshield. ??

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I second that advice. Never block the front louvers while charging. On a pricing note, I left the cover in my basket and got a 10%off email from them. So that should be available if you register at their site. Also - ground shipping was $24 to me (NY to SC). If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the dealers that offers significant discounts on official Ford extended warranties, if you are in the market.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
California Car Cover. I have had them over the years for my cars that are stored INSIDE, PLUSH WEAVE is the model cover I allways get. They make OTHERS. very heavy thick. Almost like a soft flannel inner material. I ordered one, than canceled. Why? Because they only have a grey material. I wanted a change. Also I dont have the car yet, so figured I could wait. They do have a charge port opening. I can tell you this, from my other cars. They fit like a GLOVE. Mirror pockets and all. Not cheap, last time I looked they were $389 plus shipping for the Mache. I dont know about any lower vent openings. But I know they sold plenty of them to mache owners. Maybe someone on this site that owns one will sound off. Oh, one more thing, if you got kids or whoever going through the garage, this cover is THICK, I allways worried about bikes and stuff, rubbing bumbing into the car, hence why I got the plush weave. One annoying item, no matter what, microns of dust dirt would make its way through. Dont know how. Call them have them send you a catalog and a few MATERIAL SAMPLES. "I MIGHT" go to something from them differant, nylon based to keep the dirt out. Hope this long winded write up helps you out. Good luck.

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
CAR COVERS -

California Car Covers are considered the best. BUT A CAR COVER CAN ONLY GO ON A CLEAN CAR.

Never put one on a car that has been driven. You have dust on it (or more) the minute it's been on the road. And if you put the cover on it without washing the dust will transfer to the inside of the cover. Now when you pull the cover off it will slide on the paint. SCRATCHES. You can't see them on a silver car but pitty the black one.

If our car is for show you should consider it. I have a show car and I use one. That is the only time it should be used.

Rant Over.

OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I confirmed with my detailer that a car cover is probably not what I want, unless I can wash the car immediately before covering it, every time. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored