Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
You're right. It could happen. But people stating these things as facts without evidence is how rumors start.
I understand your concern but am in disagreement with your comment about this being a rumor. The facts stated, by a Ford representative, are the parking pawl WILL be removed in the future. That future could be all MY22 units, later production MY22 units, or even a production unit beyond MY22. I will continue to assume the change will be made in for some or all MY22 units until otherwise notified by an official Ford statement, or until someone gets a MY22 VIN and we can verify the Ford parts catalog.
Sponsored

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
I understand your concern but am in disagreement with your comment about this being a rumor. The facts stated, by a Ford representative, are the parking pawl WILL be removed in the future. That future could be all MY22 units, later production MY22 units, or even a production unit beyond MY22. I will continue to assume the change will be made in for some or all MY22 units until otherwise notified by an official Ford statement, or until someone gets a MY22 VIN and we can verify the Ford parts catalog.
Agree. When something has been noted by a higher up, a few times. Seems it will happen. Lets keep our eyes and ears open. ?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I understand your concern but am in disagreement with your comment about this being a rumor. The facts stated, by a Ford representative, are the parking pawl WILL be removed in the future. That future could be all MY22 units, later production MY22 units, or even a production unit beyond MY22.
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm disagreeing with your previous statement that the parking pawl WILL be removed for the 2022 model year. Maybe it will, but that shouldn't be stated as fact without evidence stating as such.

Agree. When something has been noted by a higher up, a few times. Seems it will happen. Lets keep our eyes and ears open. ?
Again, where has it been noted by a higher up that the parking pawl will be removed for the 2022 model year?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm disagreeing with your previous statement that the parking pawl WILL be removed for the 2022 model year. Maybe it will, but that shouldn't be stated as fact without evidence stating as such.

Again, where has it been noted by a higher up that the parking pawl will be removed for the 2022 model year?
Where has it been noted that it WON'T be removed for MY22? We could go back and forth on this all day. We know it's getting removed, and we haven't been told when.

I'll assume (maybe @Glen too) that we can expect for MY22.

You can assume it won't.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Where has it been noted that it WON'T be removed for MY22? We could go back and forth on this all day. We know it's getting removed, and we haven't been told when.

I'll assume (maybe @Glen too) that we can expect for MY22.

You can assume we won't.
Fair enough. You're certainly welcome to assume anything you like. The difference is that I'm not stating as fact that it won't be removed for 2022, because I don't know that. I'm just asking that people don't state things as facts if they're just assumptions. As I've said, that's how rumors get started.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

I think that woman that made the statement is high up the food chain. Isnt she? In the Ford MME design group.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The statement was made in an off-hand fashion that the pawl would be removed. There was no time line associated with it. It might happen for the 2022 year, but given my knowledge of how Engineering Changes happen and how they are communicated to the line, and what production in the near term looks like, it’s a pretty good assumption that this change will not happen in the near term. It is not a minor undertaking.

The statement was made that it will be removed. The statement was not through an official Ford channel. That is all we know. We will know more when Ford officially releases information about it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think that woman that made the statement is high up the food chain. Isnt she? In the Ford MME design group.
Yes, she is. But as I said, she never said the change was coming for the 2022 model year. People can assume and guess all they want. I'm just asking that they're labeled as such and not stated as fact.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, she is. But as I said, she never said the change was coming for the 2022 model year. People can assume and guess all they want. I'm just asking that they're labeled as such and not stated as fact.
She said it. Not me. Argue we ith her. I
Donna Dickson, who took over Ron Heiser’s Mustang Mach-E Chief Engineer position at Ford this year, talked about the range and various other aspects of the EV with YouTube channel Munro Live, in August. She suggested that the Mustang Mach-E will see range improvements with every model year update.

We have actions planned. It’s year-over-year improvement. So, we’ll go and get additional range improvements, actions coming in for ’22, we have more coming in for ’23, and more coming in for ’24.

Donna Dickson, Mustang Mach-E Chief Engineer, Ford

In addition to increasing the usable energy content, the potential changes for improved range could include weight reduction and battery efficiency improvement. Ford plans to introduce several other changes to the Mustang Mach-E in addition to improving the range. The company will get rid of the automatic transmission parking pawl, which would reduce the cost and weight, switch to a single coolant reservoir from currently two, and replace rubber hoses with plastic lines that are thinner and lighter.

We know we have to get some weight out to better those numbers and take other actions, like better battery efficiency numbers.

Donna Dickson, Mustang Mach-E Chief Engineer, Ford

Well, theres her words, not mine. As taken from the article. I only follow along. Peace out. EOM.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
She said what? That the parking pawl will be removed for 2022? Please show me where she said that. Once again, it's entirely possible, but let's not state it as fact if Ford didn't say that.
Look bud. Tired of this convo. Thank you so much.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
So I'm on club it isn't getting removed. Going to make a different argument why this is my opinion.

Firstly Donna said in future BEVs they'd remove it she didn't specifically say the mach e or any kind of timeline. The conclusion that they're removing it for 2022 ... I'm not sure how anyone got there. We get told things from higher ups all the time that never happen (look at Elon).

The park pawl is in the 2022MY workshop manual and wiring diagrams. Sure that could be erroneous, that is always a possibility...but I doubt it.

The facts come down to engineering costs. I don't think you can just simply delete it out of the case and have an empty space there. Even if you could you have a lot of testing requirements to do that. Changing the design of the main propulsion unit to remove a part that isn't faulty and works as expected isn't the smartest move. If you can't just simply delete it then forget it. They won't change it for this entire generation. Way too expensive.

You have a ton of safety testing requirements to change to a parking brake based system too. I just don't think it is possible to be done in time for the 2022MY even if they wanted to. Engineering time is better spent elsewhere on other vehicles when they have a design that works.

In conclusion it would take longer and probably be more expensive to delete the pawl than to leave it in.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Let me just thank you for stating that this is your opinion and not fact (and btw, I completely agree with your opinion).
Well we can't take any of this as fact...it hasn't happened yet and you can't trust anything anyone tells you. Always missed promises from car manufacturers.
Sponsored