Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan leaf SV
Occupation
QA tech
Country flag
Hey all,
so pulling out of my garage today, it seems that in reverse, the brakes didn’t fully disengage? I could feel resistance so I started recording. Backing up there is a loud bang and the car starts moving. This is the second time this has happened.
After this time, now there is a rhythmic clacking noise as I’m driving. Anyone else have a similar experience? Is this that break debris issue that is known? Making an appt at the dealer but can’t get in for a week.

Nomation

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Country flag
Hey all,
so pulling out of my garage today, it seems that in reverse, the brakes didn’t fully disengage? I could feel resistance so I started recording. Backing up there is a loud bang and the car starts moving. This is the second time this has happened.
After this time, now there is a rhythmic clacking noise as I’m driving. Anyone else have a similar experience? Is this that break debris issue that is known? Making an appt at the dealer but can’t get in for a week.

I noticed on the forward screen just when you start pressing the go pedal next to "Ready" (in green, center bottom of the display) a circle pops up with a cross out line. Is this saying the vehicle is not ready to move?

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I am having my brakes worked on Friday, for the TSB 21-2206 issue. I was pleasantly surprised that I could get my car in that soon. We are having family here for Turkey day, so the timing is great. The chunk of brake pad that is stuck to the rotor must be chewing the rest of the pad away quickly.

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 SAAB 9-5, 2021 Mach E SR Premium
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
I'm not suggesting this is your problem or your only problem, but by chance had you parked your car after it rained or you washed it?

I've noticed mine doing something similar after letting it sit in my garage after a wash. You might find this thread interesting- https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...g-sound-and-ford-roadside-on-speed-dial.4730/
What Texas said! I have had the same issue after washing the car, then putting it right into the garage. Next morning, when backing out - Bang! My wife thought I hit something! It's the front brake pads sticking to the rotors. Ford needs to rectify this!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I noticed on the forward screen just when you start pressing the go pedal next to "Ready" (in green, center bottom of the display) a circle pops up with a cross out line. Is this saying the vehicle is not ready to move?
It‘s saying that auto-hold for the brakes is not engaged (because the car is in reverse).

Keithp

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan leaf SV
Occupation
QA tech
Country flag
It's not the parking brake doing it. My FE had this happen anytime it was wet, and I never had the parking brake set in the garage, and It didn't engage on its own either.
It's after rain or driving through water that this happens and it's perfectly normal. Rotors are steel and rust. Brake pads are metallic and stick to the rotors in these cases. Drive with E peddle off for a while after and it will clean the rust off the rotors as you brake.

Keithp

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan leaf SV
Occupation
QA tech
Country flag
The park brake doesn’t have to be on for the car to set it. You probably have brake hold on. Mine does this also not in a wet environment though not to this extent. Seems normal to me if you are in a wet environment. The thumping sound is the rusty spot on the rotor where the pads were. Apply the brakes at speed and it should go away. Internet mechanic but not certified.

Mjtee2

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White Premium; Rapid Red First Edition
Country flag
I have had the brake pads stick to the rotors almost every time I wash the Mach E. Actual chunks of the pad come off on the rotor. As a result, I have had to have the pads replaced and the rotors turned. The last time it went in to the dealer for this, the Technician told me that the initial pad design was the cause. Unfortunately, the new pads are still sticking (Note: I have tried using my leaf blower to dry the pads and rotors as well as driving the car after a wash but with limited success especially if it is raining . . .)

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
That sounds like the parking pawl in the rear drive motor, not the brakes. When you park, there is a toothed pawl that engages inside the motor so the car cant move. If you heard a clack, clack, clack as you started to move after a sudden bang as the car started to move, the pawl didn't fully retract.
Sponsored