Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Hey Guys, a few days ago I woke to find the "red ring error" on the charge port and a car that only charged for about 15 minutes before stopping. My Grizzl-E charger didn't have any error codes, so I unplugged it, then plugged it back into the Mach-E and it charged fine. Since then the Mach-E will randomly stop charging after about 10 - to 20 minutes and has refused to charge to 100% when prompted in the Ford Pass app. Level 3 charging seems unaffected.

I'll try my OBD-II scanner this evening when I get home to check for error codes, but if anyone has had this issue before, I'm trying to get a head start on trouble shooting. Thanks.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Guys, a few days ago I woke to find the "red ring error" on the charge port and a car that only charged for about 15 minutes before stopping. My Grizzl-E charger didn't have any error codes, so I unplugged it, then plugged it back into the Mach-E and it charged fine. Since then the Mach-E will randomly stop charging after about 10 - to 20 minutes and has refused to charge to 100% when prompted in the Ford Pass app. Level 3 charging seems unaffected.

I'll try my OBD-II scanner this evening when I get home to check for error codes, but if anyone has had this issue before, I'm trying to get a head start on trouble shooting. Thanks.
You could get out your Ford travel charger to make sure it is not the charger it is the car. The value of plug in chargers. Go to another L2? Need to isolate if it is the car or the charger.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Red ring generally points to a problem in the car.

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I got a P05EF(00) on the SOBDM. Looks like the charge port coupler got too hot according to the Internet. I'll unplug the wall charger and see if that helps. I don't have any other charger to try, my Ford mobile charger died a long time ago.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Red ring generally points to a problem in the car.
What would it display when the charger is feeding out of spec or the car does not like the charger? Different light display or just disconnects? Thought red was error 🤷‍♂️ Saw it 3 times always the car.

First thing I'd try is another charger before I call; the travel charger is handy for me as I did not use it much so it should still work as a backup/test box. I would try to reproduce it on a different charger to know what to expect when I bring it into service.

I got a P05EF(00) on the SOBDM. Looks like the charge port coupler got too hot according to the Internet. I'll unplug the wall charger and see if that helps. I don't have any other charger to try, my Ford mobile charger died a long time ago.
Should not be overheating :(

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
What would it display when the charger is feeding out of spec or the car does not like the charger? Different light display or just disconnects? Thought red was error 🤷‍♂️ Saw it 3 times always the car.

First thing I'd try is another charger before I call; the travel charger is handy for me as I did not use it much so it should still work as a backup/test box. I would try to reproduce it on a different charger to know what to expect when I bring it into service.

Should not be overheating :(
As far as the power goes, all the EVSE is is a switch. It can’t really alter the input power. I suppose there could be a problem with the J1772 signal being non-spec?.

I contended that the problem is likely with the car. There is an outside chance of an EVSE problem but usually the EVSE itself shows a fault and in that case, the car should just show “Plugged in, not charging” and not the red ring.

Re: Dan’s point - a failed temp sensor in the charge port can cause a false overheating error.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
As far as the power goes, all the EVSE is is a switch. It can’t really alter the input power. I suppose there could be a problem with the J1772 signal being non-spec?.

I contended that the problem is likely with the car. There is an outside chance of an EVSE problem but usually the EVSE itself shows a fault and in that case, the car should just show “Plugged in, not charging” and not the red ring.

Re: Dan’s point - a failed temp sensor in the charge port can cause a false overheating error.
Is your handle, and/or cable at the handle warm to the touch?

Even after ~8-hours of charging, my handle is not noticeably warm and the cable end is barely warm enough to notice. I would think that if you are tripping the charge port temp sensor, then the handle would feel very warm when you touched it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Get it replaced under warranty.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I would just need to rule it out and there are many L2 I could drive to. If it does it on a different charger safe to say it is the car. If it does not error out on another charger it may not be the car.

I was just wondered if the lights tell a story like the beeps of a PC motherboards speaker or if red port lights are for all charging errors. There is unclean power hence power conditioners, AVR's and surge protectors. The charger could have wider tolerances than the car and what would happen then? How do you know if the charger is a problem other than trying another one?

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Hey guys. I like the idea of a bad temperature sensor... didn't think of that. I vaguely recall looking in the Ford App a while back seeing, 8kwh being pulled from the charger rather than the usual 7.2, or whatever it is. I know its not 8.

My charger handle hasn't been warm to the touch, but I charge over night and usually wake a few hours after it quits charging normally, so the handle could have cooled off by then.

There's no faults on the charger, or beeps, and the Ford Pass app in each instance just says "Charging Stopped" under the charging log.

My plan is to blow out both connections with compressed air, restart the charger, clear the codes, and see what kind of data I can pull off the OBDII and Ford App next time I'm off work where I can monitor the car for several hours while it charges.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hey guys. I like the idea of a bad temperature sensor... didn't think of that. I vaguely recall looking in the Ford App a while back seeing, 8kwh being pulled from the charger rather than the usual 7.2, or whatever it is. I know its not 8.

My charger handle hasn't been warm to the touch, but I charge over night and usually wake a few hours after it quits charging normally, so the handle could have cooled off by then.

There's no faults on the charger, or beeps, and the Ford Pass app in each instance just says "Charging Stopped" under the charging log.

My plan is to blow out both connections with compressed air, restart the charger, clear the codes, and see what kind of data I can pull off the OBDII and Ford App next time I'm off work where I can monitor the car for several hours while it charges.
Would also HIGHLY suggest you see if the issue occurs on a different L2 setup

Sully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag

I just had this happen for the first time ever in the 21 months of owning the car. Back on 4/2, I got the amber ring and the service vehicle soon message. Found this thread and it worked to reset and I haven't seen the amber ring or service vehicle soon message since.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ng-service-vehicle-soon-while-charging.26983/

Fast forward a couple days, after about an hour or two I keep seeing the "Plugged in not charging" message in the FP app when I am charging. I look at the car and no amber ring, Charge Point Home Flex has the blue light. In fact, there are no lights on the car charge port when I go look (I think it is because after 30 seconds it turns off) until I unplug and the ring turns white (like normal). The handle of the charger is not hot (just the usual warm as it always was). After unplugging - about an hour or so - I get the accidental unplugged email in the FP app.

I've waited over night and then try again and sometimes it works and sometimes it does the same thing. I have no clue what is causing it. No error lights or messages. We are thinking about re-setting the charge point home flex to use less amps (and slower charge) to see if that makes a difference. It is hardwired on a 60amp breaker.
Sponsored