Car won't start stuck in service lane - 2021 MME GTPE eAWD **Bent Fuse - Fixed**

Captrs777

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT eAWD Perf . 2022 Audi Etron SB DPM
Occupation
Program Analyst
Country flag
Thanks to everyone who stopped to try and help me today. Sorry for all the issues and short/jacked up posts, but was dealing with audi people, horrible roadside assistance people, and similar. Here is the whole story from beginning to end a little more clear + a log:

4/21/22 - 0800 - Rental car returned. Dealership shuttled me back (thank God). Got the car and other than being covered in pollen (lol worst thing about the south) it works and looks ok. Haven't had a chance to really look it over yet. Posted the diagnosis/fix. I asked him how a fuse is bent and he mentioned wiring was bent too or something but didnt reallyt get a clear answer. He also showed me pics of another one with the whole HV battery pulled out. 😑 We good for now and MRR FS06 wheels getting installed now.

4/20/22 - 1545 - Advisor calls to let me know the vehicle is "fixed". It was a bent fuse and replacing it repaired the issue. The fuse was physically bent and therefor not touching any of the contacts allowing it to operate. No software updates are to be performed. I am working on getting the rental returned, cars seats swapped back, and picked up in the morning. Will report back with more information if they have any. Going to have my MRR FS06 wheels mounted tomorrow morning as well and try to complete this ordeal. Very thankful they had someone look at it and fix it, but this doesn't feel right. They don't know how this happened or why it bent, but it at least operates for now. *shrug*

4/19/22 - 1130 - Emailed advisor that the Ford Pass Sync on my phone had updated overnight. Showed 19 hours since last update vs when it died back on 4/13.

1221 - advisor emails back that they found a pinched fuse. Super weird/concerning because I have no idea how a fuse would get pinched, but that indeed touching the fuse allowed the dash screen and similar to come back online. New fuse should come in tomorrow/Thurs.

4/18/22 - 1520 - Advisor said that they weren't able to get any further with it today. They put a request through hotline again and are waiting to hear back. *Fingers crossed*

4/15/22 - 0754 - Service advisor states they replaced the 12v and nothing changed :'(. I hope they actually did as it's super odd the 12v was so low in voltage and not a problem. Said that'd it'd be next week more than likely before they could start doing further diagnosis. Wuh wuhhhh :(. I just hate it's just sitting outside with all this nasty weather we're getting. Sent him my vin/software info (thanks Texas) and whenever it communicates again I hope they'll do all these software updates too. Probably won't hear anything until next week. Thanks all.

4/14/22 - 1402 - Ford HQ Case manager reaches out and shares her concerns, sympathies, and similar with me. Asks for me to provide her the service associate's contact information. She stated she tried to call and no one would answer. Not surprised. I did and she said it sounded like the 12v battery issue and wanted to speak with them directly about getting this fixed (yay).

1532 - Ford Dealer leaves a voicemail saying a mechanic looked at the vehicle (Very thankful they had someone look at it - a lot of my frustration and looking like a dick now would have been resolved if someone would have told me they'd have a tech available to look at it soon vs "it may be weeks before we can even look at it") and that the battery is just fine "tested out good". They still could not start the vehicle, hook up the IDF?/scanner, or get the car to function, react, nothing. They have a tool called the "hotline" and are going to wait for the Ford HQ Engineer to respond. Feels like a stall tactic til a real tech can look at it, but I don't honestly know that. Kind of a gut hit to be told the battery is fine when everyone else has said it was very low voltage for a 12v battery. (boo)

I send a response to the service advisor stating again that the 12v battery was near under 11Vs the day prior and if they can confirm that the voltage/battery is fine. He responded that the Ford mechanic "Tested the battery and hooked up IDS and is getting no readings at all, but that he said the battery is testing good as its designed to". I asked again if he specifically tested the 12v battery (not the large one) and he stated they did indeed test it and it was fine.

**at this point I'd like to apologize because if they really put a tech on it within 24 hours, awesome. That is completely reasonable to at least try and diagnose a possible simple issue. Even if they couldn't have done this so quickly, it'd be awesome to know it wouldn't be "weeks" before someone looked at it."

Car is still ultimately dead and waiting further testing.

4/13/22 - Fully charged GT PE eAWD (252+ miles of range shown) starts and drives from my home (TN) to my daughter's school and to the Audi Dealership to just have some ordered MRR Wheels + Tires mounted, balanced, and installed. The wheel guy there is awesome and Ford techs are weeks out on anything. No actual service or similar was done at Audi, I just like their wheel/tire machine and service people.

Arrive at Audi and park in 1 of their 2 service lanes. Turn car off (no warnings, no problems, no issues). Drop off the key. They walk around the car, do their full 360 photos/videos/etc before and put the seat cover and floor mats on the car. Get in and try to start the car to move it and nothing turns on. I think they're just silly Audi people who don't realize the vehicle isn't on and try myself. Nothing turns on.

Key fob is in the car (and in that special cubby hole in the console the article says to go to), foot on the brake, pressing the power/ignition button and nothing is happening other than the tiny light on the ignition button flashing a lot. No dash screen comes on, no huge main screen comes on, nothing. I start to panic, because I literally just drove it here. First service writer notices there key fob LED isn't lighting up. They drive me to Ford, get their last Key fob battery, replace it, nothing changes.

At this point I've been here over an hour blocking 1 of their 2 service lanes. I start a roadside assistance request now and it says it'll be 2 hours before anyone shows up. Fantastic. We start trying jump boxes. They used the main jump box (which reads 11.7v), then another tech came out with a Snap-On awesome jump box about 30 minutes later (it read 11.3v). Neither work. We try the Sync reset option provided (thank you) and it did nothing. We tried multiple variations of this in addition to the actual reset and nothing reacted. At this point it has been nearly 2 hours more and the tow driver is only 15 minutes away. We have tried nearly every option provided by forum members and there's nothing we can do to get it to work/react/anything.

Exterior lights come on, interior ambient lights come on, if the auxiliary power is on the car honks when you close the door, the car honks when you push the horn, doors open/close, etc. Hatch will not open. No screens come on. Car will not shift into any other gears or even illuminate or turn. Parking brake/etc won't react.

Ford roadside assistance dude shows up, says he knows what's wrong, puts a 3rd jump box on the battery, it doesn't work (shocked) and he says Ford is saying he has to tow it to them. I call Ford, they tell me to go ahead and bring it, but have no idea when they can look at it (awesome).

We try dozens of things to get it to go into neutral or anything, nothing works or reacts. He's like I've dealt with this before and we're just going to have to pull it onto the truck bed. As horrible as that sounds (and thankfully it was on a tile service lane, so no scrubbing or similar) he literally just has to winch it onto the truck. "he's done this before and Ford is telling him its the only option".

We drive all the way over to Ford and literally in a bay that is probably 60' x 40' there is 1 young girl who greets everyone and 1 service advisor. She leads me to the service guy and he tells me the "normal mach E guy" is gone for lunch, but that they have no idea when they can look at it. I explain it is my only mode of transportation, I have kids, etc. "We're sorry we're just covered up". When I ask where are we supposed to put this, because once it gets dropped, it aint moving and he tells us we can only put it in the back of the lot (like legit the very back). So we drop the vehicle and thankfully it comes off way smoother than it went on and the tow driver wishes me luck and goes on his day.

We're about 5 hours in now. I talk to the Mach-E service guy who is now back who tells me he has no idea when they can look at it, that they're weeks behind, that there are 0 rental cars/loaners/etc (booked out to June... however that's possible) and he hates that for me. I explain how I have kids, no mode of transportation now because brand new car is broken, and he says to just call this 1800 Ford customer service # to figure out a rental car solution. I tell him I've been on hold for hours waiting on them and he was like "yep me too, we hate calling them". The fuck kind of service is this? Told me he'd call me whenever they come up with a plan to look at it. I figure I have to deal with this later because I still have to get a car figured out, get kids from school, etc. Ford dealer at this point has provided 0 solutions, 0 ETA, 0 care, and told me I could basically call around and go elsewhere if I'd like (I did and two other reasonable distance dealers are weeks/months behind as well).

Now the Ford HQ fiasco. I wait on hold for hours just to have my wife call (who has now had to leave surgery so she can help me) on her phone as well and magically gets through in about 15 minutes. I talk to a lady who tell me that hazah my car is covered for a rental reimbursement up to $65/day for the first 10 days and I have to call back for an extension if indeed Ford doesn't fix my car by then. I tell her that the dealership told me they have no idea when they would even look at it and she was like that's ok and that Ford would reimburse me once the work was complete. Great so I may end up having to pay for weeks/months of rental and hope Ford reimburses me. They assign me a case # and a case manager who would "call me later in a couple of hours" (no one ever called).

We're about 8 hours in now. Fly all the way out to Avis to get a mid-size SUV to then fly all the way back to Ford to load my car seats and everything. I stroll past the service desk and just ask if they had come up with any plan or have any ETA in the last 3 hours and they look at me and say "nope, we're about done for the day and we'll try to see if one of the quick lube guys can check it out tomorrow as they can't pull an hourly tech off current work." Great. Probably another jump box situation. fantastic.

Not holding my breath. My sales guy (who I've been buying from for 13+ years) is trying to help me and push them, but says his own truck is on day 4 of waiting to be looked at. Not sure wth is going to happen, but not looking great. Gonna follow up tomorrow and hope they have some kind of actual plan or timeframe or anything at all. Kind of insane when buying a $70,000 vehicle.

The good: Audi is freaking awesome and helped me even though I did not have any service planned with them outside of $100ish to mount/balance some tires. I had literally 3 service advisors and 2 techs look at it just out of pure curiosity and desire to help. They didn't owe me anything and were just genuinely nice. MRR FS06 wheels/tires will look amazing on the car whenever I get them installed. Ford is paying $65/day until they figure it out for a rental (Yay Toyota Highlander).

The knowns: Key fob battery replaced. No screens turn on, transmission knob does not react, parking brake, etc doesn't react at all. Exterior/interior lights come on. Doors will open. Hatch will not open even when lights flash after pushing button. I assume this is some kind of emergency power to get you out of the vehicle and be able to see (if at night). There is a TSB for defective 12v battery.

The bad: Its storming and this is the first time the car is now stuck outside in this bullshit weather and that sucks when you save up and spend $70,000 on a car that isn't 2 months old. It is always garaged at night until now. I also have to somehow now pay $65/day up out of pocket for this Avis car and Ford HQ will "take care of me" once fixed, which could be weeks/months.

The interesting: Ford Pass on my phone never synced/updated to my car once I parked it. So whatever happened at that point caused it to never sync again. *emergency power mode?* I dunno
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
12V needs a boost?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You took your Mach-E to the Audi dealership for service?

Your manual has emergency modes. Looking for that now.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Switching Emergency Tow On
1. Properly secure your vehicle to the tow
vehicle.
2. Switch your vehicle on to accessory
mode. See Starting and Powering
Off (page 147).
3. Apply the parking brake.
4. Access the vehicle drawer on the
touchscreen.
5. Press SETTINGS.
6. Press Vehicle.
7. Press and hold Emergency Tow until a
confirmation message appears on the
touchscreen.
8. Press and hold the brake pedal.
9. Shift into neutral (N).
Note: A confirmation message appears in
the instrument cluster display.
10. Release the parking brake.
11. Switch your vehicle off.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Very confused why you were at the Audi dealership, which battery did you replace?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did they start any work? I’d never let a rando jack this car up without specific instructions due to battery damage

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pop the frunk and get access to the 12v battery and see if you can get a jump on that

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try the key in the passive key backup position.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Car won't start stuck in service lane - 2021 MME GTPE eAWD **Bent Fuse - Fixed** key slot.PNG

1. Open the floor console storage
compartment lid.
2. Place the remote control in the slot as
shown with the buttons facing upward.
3. With the remote control in this position,
press the brake pedal, then press the
push button start to switch the power
on and start your vehicle.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

You’ll need a set of jumper cables to jump start it if you are locked out. Get to the 12V battery under the hood and apply jumper cables, then try to start it.

OP
OP
Captrs777

Captrs777

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Program Analyst
Country flag
Try the key in the passive key backup position.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Car won't start stuck in service lane - 2021 MME GTPE eAWD **Bent Fuse - Fixed** key slot.PNG

1. Open the floor console storage
compartment lid.
2. Place the remote control in the slot as
shown with the buttons facing upward.
3. With the remote control in this position,
press the brake pedal, then press the
push button start to switch the power
on and start your vehicle.
Nothing. But thank you.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He's not locked out.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
This is when you get to complain about how badly placed the 12 V battery is

It’s in the frunk. Hidden

I hope you just need a jump

Jes sayin. It gets worse from there

been there done that

OP
OP
Captrs777

Captrs777

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Program Analyst
Country flag
This is when you get to complain about how badly placed the 12 V battery is

It’s in the frunk. Hidden

I hope you just need a jump

Jes sayin. It gets worse from there

been there done that
Who freaking knows and thank God for Ford. It could be weeks/months before they can even look at it to see. God I hate our local dealerships. Now I've gotta pray they have inventory that I can borrow just so I can get my kids around.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Put a battery booster on it and it reads 11.7v and nothing happens but its a handheld shitty charger.
That sounds low. I do not know the Minimum for the Mach E. My Hyundai EV needs 12.0V min I think or it is dead. Did they maybe leave it in accessory mode for a long while? Anyway, is the booster working?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Any dealer should be able to pull codes with an OBDII device. That will help determine what's going on
Sponsored