Cargo Capacity - What is the REAL number?

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
In the US specs, the cargo room is listed as 29 cubic feet or 822 liters.

But I was just watching a Ford of Norway cargo video which shows the cargo room as 402 liters. That would translate to 14 cubic feet.

I'll also add that I currently drive a 2018 Audi Q5, which is listed at 25 cubic feet (707 liters) of cargo space. I have to say, living with the Q5 for 3 years, and having just seen the Mach E in San Leandro, I find it sort of hard to believe that the MME has 115 liters (5 cubic feet) more cargo space. Like, no way, man.

So, my question to the community is - who believes that the MME has 29 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats? And does anyone know how this number is calculated, generated or verified?

Another random but related point is that the Model Y is listed at 63 cubic feet behind the front seats (Ford says 60 for MME) but there is no public number available for space behind the second row. A Tesla rep did tell me that the number is 36 cube feet (including both underfloor cubbies), and I completely believe that.

In the end, I'm not going to cancel my order but cargo space is really important to me and I just find it confusing and frustrating that there are so many conflicting signals, including vastly different quoted numbers from Ford itself, and a disconnect between the official number in the US, versus what my eyes tell me.

What do you guys think?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cargo Capacity - What is the REAL number? Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.44.33 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cargo Capacity - What is the REAL number? Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.42.40 PM

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
May be a different way of calculating the space.

I haven't seen the Mach-E in person but the photos with measurements posted here seem to support Ford's official numbers. Additionally, the Mach-E has about the same exterior dimensions as the Audi and the Model Y, so it wouldn't be a shock that the interior was about the same size as well.

Don't make it more complicated than it is. ;) If you're stressed about the cargo area see If you can see it again and this time bring a tape measure. Or just look at this: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-road-show-in-vermont.1743/page-16#post-47918

OP
OP
kikibop

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
I used these measurements
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cargo Capacity - What is the REAL number? Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.58.37 PM

And got this volume:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cargo Capacity - What is the REAL number? Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.58.25 PM

First off, 24.75 cubic feet (aka 700 liters) is most certainly NOT 29 cubic feet.

Secondly, the cargo space is far from cube-shaped. The full height of 30.3 inches probably accounts for 5 inches of the 32.6 inch depth.

So my conclusion is that the reported volume measurement is way optimistic. Inaccurate. Not correct. Fake news, as some say.

OP
OP
kikibop

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
Starting to thing that 402 liters might be the more accurate number.

And according to this article, cargo measurement stats are not standardized, comparable or reliable. Figures.

Last edited:

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Starting to thing that 402 liters might be the more accurate number.
Starting to think you're trolling. There is a 5 cubic foot difference in cargo space between the AWD and the RWD so your calculated number is spot on.

Plus when Edmonds, which has a Model Y, had its reviewer spend an entire day with the Mach-E, the reviewer concluded the hatch area of the Mach-E was the same size as the hatch area of the Model Y.

Double plus 700 is a long long long way from 400.

Triple plus, if you think the hatch area is 400 liters -- less than what you'd find in a Chevy Bolt -- then you are the worst space estimator I've ever encountered so please allow Ford to do it for you. :)

OP
OP
kikibop

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
Starting to think you're trolling. There is a 5 cubic foot difference in cargo space between the AWD and the RWD so your calculated number is spot on.

Plus when Edmonds, which has a Model Y, had its reviewer spend an entire day with the Mach-E, the reviewer concluded the hatch area of the Mach-E was the same size as the hatch area of the Model Y.

Double plus 700 is a long long long way from 400.

Triple plus, if you think the hatch area is 400 liters -- less than what you'd find in a Chevy Bolt -- then you are the worst space estimator I've ever encountered so please allow Ford to do it for you. :)
Hey now. 700 liters would only be the volume if the space were perfectly square. That it is not. Look at the slope of the rear glass. The Mach E is a fastback, friend. Not saying I think it is literally 400 but I can guarantee it is nowhere near 700.

OP
OP
kikibop

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
Not to mention the 402 liters metric is LITERALLY from Ford.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
OP
OP
kikibop

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
So there are two numbers.
Absolutely ... like I said, I just felt confused. Trying to understand how/why there were two numbers. Thank you @Woeo for the explanation!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I used these measurements
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cargo Capacity - What is the REAL number? Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.58.25 PM

And got this volume:

First off, 24.75 cubic feet (aka 700 liters) is most certainly NOT 29 cubic feet.

Secondly, the cargo space is far from cube-shaped. The full height of 30.3 inches probably accounts for 5 inches of the 32.6 inch depth.

So my conclusion is that the reported volume measurement is way optimistic. Inaccurate. Not correct. Fake news, as some say.
Except that the width measurement is the door opening, which is smaller than the width of the compartment inside. Same for the height. Therefore it is a rough measurement, but the operative point is that it is close to 29 cuft as opposed to 14 cuft, which is what the OP asked.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hey now. 700 liters would only be the volume if the space were perfectly square. That it is not. Look at the slope of the rear glass. The Mach E is a fastback, friend. Not saying I think it is literally 400 but I can guarantee it is nowhere near 700.
It is larger. the height measurement is the opening at the back of that fastback not the roof. I suspect the 400 liters is up to the cargo cover.

OP
OP
kikibop

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
height measurement is the opening at the back of that fastback not the roof
no, the height is clearly the tallest point in the cargo opening, at the front of the hatch.
Sponsored