Carplay nav, upcoming turn in the cluster - anyone notice this issue?

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I love that Carplay with Apple Maps is integrated well enough to show the next turn in the cluster. But there's a location that I drive commonly where the next upcoming turn on the cluster is just wrong, inconsistent with the Carplay main screen routing. I'm trying to understand if this is a bug of if I'm missing something.

Notice these two images, taken within a few seconds of each other. The correct navigation is on the large Carplay screen. It's telling me to go straight onto 128N (do not take the exit to the right, which is I-95N). But the cluster shows me a visual that sure looks like it wants me to take the exit to the right. There are no other options here, it's continue straight onto 128N or veer right onto I95N. FWIW, there are also no upcoming turns for me to take for another 5+ miles on this rout and I am not running any other nav application in the background. I also haven't once (ever) entered a route into the built-in Ford navigation.

Anyone ever notice this? It does this reliably at this location, which is why I thought to take these photos last time I drove it.

(edited title to make a little more sense)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Carplay nav, upcoming turn in the cluster - anyone notice this issue? IMG_1511

Ford Mustang Mach-E Carplay nav, upcoming turn in the cluster - anyone notice this issue? IMG_1510

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Thatā€™s odd - the IR LEDs in your driver attention camera donā€™t appear to be on?
Notice how theyā€™re both saying to do ā€œsomethingā€ in 0.2 miles?

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thatā€™s odd - the IR LEDs in your driver attention camera donā€™t appear to be on?
Notice how theyā€™re both saying to do ā€œsomethingā€ in 0.2 miles?
Yeah, usually you can see the IE LEDs in the photos. Earlier in this ride I was using hands-free BlueCruise, so I know they work. Maybe they turn off if/when you turn off a BlueCruise session?

When I took this photo I do not believe BlueCruise was on. This was just normal navigation with no driver-assist features running.

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I experience the same issue with multiple junctions when I drive on I-40 going east from Shawnee, OK into Oklahoma City.

I know the area just fine so I know to ignore it. It becomes a problem though when I drive to a city or area Iā€™m unfamiliar with, say Dallas or Houston. The only thing to do at this point is to look at the big screen.

In a simple junction area where the direction of travel keeps a cardinal direction, itā€™s easy to spot the mistake. It becomes a problem when you have a junction where the roads curve together and split off quickly, keeping similar trajectories, and you are unfamiliar with the area, it is harder to understand which path to keep.

It is annoying but in the grand scheme of things, GPS will redirect us if we take the wrong exit.

Last edited:
OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I experience the same issue with multiple junctions when I drive on I-40 going east from Shawnee, OK into Oklahoma City.

I know the area just fine so I know to ignore it. It becomes a problem though when I drive to a city or area Iā€™m unfamiliar with, say Dallas or Houston. The only thing to do at this point is to look at the big screen.

In a simple junction area where the direction of travel keeps a cardinal direction, itā€™s easy to spot the mistake. It becomes a problem when you have a junction where the roads curve together and split off quickly, keeping similar trajectories, and you are unfamiliar with the area, it is harder to understand which path to keep.

It is annoying but in the grand scheme of things, GPS will redirect us if we take the wrong exit.
Thank you! That's the feedback I was looking for. I agree that with simple (or familiar) intersections it's easy to spot the bug. For complex intersections it is more of a problem. I guess the sad part is that it renders this really cool integration with the cluster.....almost useless. It's nice that the cluster tells me there's "something" coming up, but otherwise I guess I can't trust what it's telling me to do.

Any idea if it happens with other Carplay nav apps (like Google Maps or Waze)?

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I donā€™t know about other apps. I just switch between Sync Nav and CarPlay Nav, depending on the day and how lazy I feel. šŸ˜†

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I donā€™t know about other apps. I just switch between Sync Nav and CarPlay Nav, depending on the day and how lazy I feel. šŸ˜†
Hah, I hear ya. I'll play around with it and report back if I learn anything useful.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Just circling back on this for anyone who cares: I haven't tested Android Auto, but within Carplay it seems that only Apple Maps has the integration that shows upcoming turns in the cluster, and, as stated above it's buggy and might leave you taking a wrong turn. I tested Google Maps and Waze, and they don't seem to show upcoming turns in the cluster at all.

The factory nav does show upcoming turns in the cluster, but I haven't used it very much. I'm assuming it's more reliable, but who knows.

Anyway, here's hoping that Ford can fix this behavior! For me it's just another item in a long list that leave me feeling the MME software has so much potential but also some disappointment.
Sponsored