CarPlay occasionally doesn't connect. How do you get it to connect?

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
For some reason everytime I get into the car now, I have to re-initialize CarPlay and it asks to be plugged into the USB cable. I know I am not the only one this happens to.
Sponsored

Electric Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME- 2021
Occupation
Business Leadership Coach
Country flag
I have the same problem- my apple carplay will not connect intermittently - when it does not operate the video screens says I need to connect the "phone list"-the phone is connect and the google maps will provide the audio directions but there is no video functionality on the screen- sometimes plugging and unplugging the phone will reset it and it will work. Other times I leave the car (for some period of time?) and next time it works perfectly- this overall problem happens about 5-10% of the connection time.
To the Official Ford Motor Co account- I am a Ford retiree and this is a Ford Mgmt lease vehicle if you would like to follow offline pls advise

DHWW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Same issues. Extremely frustrating. Car play just stops, can’t reconnect. Various solutions. In process of trying to resent but interesting that when I tried to delete my iPhone 14 using the trash icon, I am unable to delete the phone (was hoping to delete and re add to make it work). Finally reset with the volume down/advance button on steering wheel. This is a major flaw that I hope Ford will fix; its annoying for a myriad of reasons and especially the loss of navigation as a result. I hope Ford fixes this soon.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Do a daily soft reset. You will have less recurring issues.

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
Mine doesn’t recognize at first. Give it a few seconds and connects by itself.

KDub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
I have been having Carplay problems for the last month now and the past week has been worse. It connects only half of the time so I have to go through the pick a phone, then select Carplay two-step. Most recently, Google Maps navigation has car not progressing along the route though I feel like this is probably a hardware issue. Also, the ability to play music on Spotify and podcasts on Pocketcasts is spotty. Apps show up but when you try and play music, it acts like I don't have a data connection. *Interested in whether this happens to Apple apps.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
FWIW (and that's not a whole lot), I've had CarPlay issues of varying degrees (slow connection to not working no matter what you did) for well over a month now. For the past few days CarPlay has worked almost correctly. Nothing was changed on either the car or the phone (iPhone 12 pro max).

Joshw

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Also having these issues. PAAK seems to be the culprit.

Oddly though, my wife's phone's navigation goes haywire when it's actually connected to Car Play. Not sure if this is related to Car Play though.

redMachE22

First Name
Colins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red Mach E GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This problem happens to my GT 40% of the time. It simply WOULD NOT connect wireless even when I restarted my iPhone. Nothing I can do when it refused to connect wirelessly.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
This problem happens to my GT 40% of the time. It simply WOULD NOT connect wireless even when I restarted my iPhone. Nothing I can do when it refused to connect wirelessly.
Hey there! I can look into your Mach-E’s CarPlay concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

RaineN

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I’ve been having CarPlay issues since December 31. I deleted the VPN from my phone, spent three hours on the phone with three different technicians, pairing and unpairing, starting and restarting everything from the iphone 14 to the SYNC system. They’re suggesting now that it could be a hardware issue but I have not read one thing on any of these forums, suggesting that it’s a hardware issue. Everything’s updated. CarPlay does not work and the dealership wants me to bring it in but they’re not promising. they’re know how to work on it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
CarPlay reliability, Android Auto, and PAAK reliability have become worse for me as well. I have a suspicion it is correlated with how busy the BlueTooth on the phone is. With more devices connected it seems to get worse, and with AirPods playing it is even worse. For me, it does help to reset the infotainment using the two-button salute (volume-down + next on the steering wheel).

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
This has been happening to me the past few days, also.

Turning Bluetooth off and on in my phone has no effect. A full power off and restart of the phone also has no effect. Regardless of what I do on the phone, it will not connect over Bluetooth, only over USB.

I see "Bluetooth Disconnected" on the main screen of the FordPass app. I cannot open the doors, windows, frunk, or trunk from FordPass. I've killed the app and restarted it, which doesn't resolve the issue.

On my phone I see a Bluetooth device called ##### MACH E connecting, disconnecting, and reconnecting again. At the same time, Mustang Mach-E (the name I gave my MME in the SYNC connection settings) usually remains disconnected. I tried to manually turn Bluetooth off on the car and the SYNC Bluetooth settings froze/stopped responding.

I suspect the Bluetooth stack is not responding in the car. The only thing I have not tried is the force reboot of SYNC itself. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

On a semi-related note, I have not found out why the Mach-E has two Bluetooth connections to my phone. I presume one is for FordPass operations and one is for CarPlay, but that's just a guess. Perhaps @Ford Motor Company could share an answer?

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
On a semi-related note, I have not found out why the Mach-E has two Bluetooth connections to my phone. I presume one is for FordPass operations and one is for CarPlay, but that's just a guess. Perhaps @Ford Motor Company could share an answer?
As a new owner, I’ve been wondering the same as well. I figured one is probably for the PAAK and one for phone/ CarPlay connection.

On a related note, my iPhone is constantly telling me FordPass wants to allow new Bluetooth connections. Like several times a day when I’m not using fordpass and not anywhere near the car. Anyone else seeing this?

SuperRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
This has been happening to me the past few days, also.

Turning Bluetooth off and on in my phone has no effect. A full power off and restart of the phone also has no effect. Regardless of what I do on the phone, it will not connect over Bluetooth, only over USB.

I see "Bluetooth Disconnected" on the main screen of the FordPass app. I cannot open the doors, windows, frunk, or trunk from FordPass. I've killed the app and restarted it, which doesn't resolve the issue.

On my phone I see a Bluetooth device called ##### MACH E connecting, disconnecting, and reconnecting again. At the same time, Mustang Mach-E (the name I gave my MME in the SYNC connection settings) usually remains disconnected. I tried to manually turn Bluetooth off on the car and the SYNC Bluetooth settings froze/stopped responding.

I suspect the Bluetooth stack is not responding in the car. The only thing I have not tried is the force reboot of SYNC itself. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Wireless CarPlay uses WiFi (specifically, WiFi Projection), not Bluetooth. Bluetooth is used for other PaaK functions.

The suggestion to manually switch the WiFi network on the phone to the WiFi Projection network (Proj) might help.

In my case, having a small house that sits on top of the garage and multiple users means my Wife is constantly dealing with the phone connecting to my phone automatically for CarPlay, and having to fight to get it to recognize hers, because our phones are always in range, even when I'm on the third floor. I'm going to give her the same suggestion and see if that helps.
Sponsored