CarPlay problems (disconnects/failed to connect) and SYNC 4A crash: Are these common issues?

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I think it's important to differentiate the initial bluetooth connection vs Carplay. For me, it's that the phone is not doing the initial connection (even though FordPass says bluetooth connected). Once I connect the phone, Carplay comes up *most* of the time. It's been REALLY bad lately, very frustrating. We need a hotfix/patch ASAP.
Sponsored

MikeM67

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE AWD XR (Man 8/25/2022 Del 10/25/2022)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It's been wonky lately, not sure if it is phone side or car side. Sometimes I have to plug it in through USB to get it to handshake correctly then it works fine unplugged.
Same - just started yesterday. The plug/unplug works.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The problem with placing blame is that the issue could be on Ford's side or it could be an issue with the Car Play software on your phone.

I've had several occasions where Car Play wouldn't connect. After waiting a few hours it connects all of a sudden. It's hard for me to say if the car was to blame or my phone was to blame.

NicAntonia

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
CarPlay worked great for me until the latest updates. Last week I started to have issues with CarPlay not connecting. I did all of the things... soft reboot, rebooted my phone, toggled Bluetooth, and finally deleted my phone and re-added it. That finally worked.

This morning, Bluetooth won't connect at all. I tried unpairing my phone and trying to go through similar steps, but when I go to Bluetooth and try to turn it on, it just has the 3 little dots that says it's 'trying.' My phone can't see the car, and my car can't turn on Bluetooth.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm on 3.5.4.2. Anyone on a newer version, and does that fix the problem?

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Bumping this. CarPlay had been rock solid for months for me but has been really hit or miss lately - it either works as soon as I get into the car or it doesn’t, and there is no making it work if it doesn’t work right away. Has seemed 50/50 for the last few weeks after being pretty much flawless April -> October.

OP
OP
markb

markb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Occupation
S/W Developer
Country flag
Bumping this. CarPlay had been rock solid for months for me but has been really hit or miss lately - it either works as soon as I get into the car or it doesn’t, and there is no making it work if it doesn’t work right away. Has seemed 50/50 for the last few weeks after being pretty much flawless April -> October.

I find CarPlay works like a charm....until you have to use the USB cord to charge the phone....which is almost any road trip because the charging pad overheats the phone. Managed to duplicate this problem yesterday.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Ford's implementation of Car Play is full Charlie Sheen "Winning" unstable. It was pretty good until these latest patches, but has been hit and miss ever since. A pattern I think I have seen is that after Ford introduces a mystery patch, we have about 4 or 5 times of playing the car play lottery. If you don't reboot the phone and don't get another update from Ford it will stabilize to about 80% reliable connection. This should not be this difficult.

OP
OP
markb

markb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Occupation
S/W Developer
Country flag
Ford's implementation of Car Play is full Charlie Sheen "Winning" unstable. It was pretty good until these latest patches, but has been hit and miss ever since. A pattern I think I have seen is that after Ford introduces a mystery patch, we have about 4 or 5 times of playing the car play lottery. If you don't reboot the phone and don't get another update from Ford it will stabilize to about 80% reliable connection. This should not be this difficult.

I don't disagree. I find that things work better if you reboot sync. I had to do that a few times on my last road trip.

Keep in mind, Apple is also making changes....and CarPlay isn't bug free from their side either. I've had CarPlay go up on my 2020 VW Tiguan....and it only have a wired CarPlay implementation.

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
For me recently I have been experiencing where the car losses the profile setting for the visual display, however it remembers my drive mode preference. Example, i chose the "dark" option - but at times when I get in the car the display is all white and I can't see my two profiles. this recurrence when I see this issue is increasing including difficulty in connecting CarPlay. These issues also lowers your confidence on critical systems like autopilot, etc...

OP
OP
markb

markb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Occupation
S/W Developer
Country flag
For me recently I have been experiencing where the car losses the profile setting for the visual display, however it remembers my drive mode preference. Example, i chose the "dark" option - but at times when I get in the car the display is all white and I can't see my two profiles. this recurrence when I see this issue is increasing including difficulty in connecting CarPlay. These issues also lowers your confidence on critical systems like autopilot, etc...
Thanks actually happened to me after I got a OTA update to "Power up 3.5.4.3" (or something like that). The profiles were unavailable and it wouldn't switch and got stuck in guess. It took a sync reboot and some persistence, and eventually, it came back. Occasionally, it loses it and I have to hit the 1 memory button to retrieve my profile even though the key fob and PAAK is set to my profile.

Autopilot is a completely different module.....something like 52 modules in the car, and not all are made by Ford.

Rebooting sync seems to settle things down for me for a while.

Mark

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Rebooting does work, but I now have to reboot Synch 4 on every new trip to get CarPlay to connect wirelessly.

For me wireless CarPlay worked fine until the 3.5.4 OTA.
Sponsored