AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
I'm losing my Toyota Sienna Van which has an awesome carrying capacity. I should probably get an f150 rather than my FE Mach - E but don't get lumber that often.

My question is what do you think the longest piece of lumber will be I can get in?
Sponsored

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I'm losing my Toyota Sienna Van which has an awesome carrying capacity. I should probably get an f150 rather than my FE Mach - E but don't get lumber that often.

My question is what do you think the longest piece of lumber will be I can get in?
I can transport inside my E-Golf up to 9 feet lumber, i expect at least 10 feet;)

OP
OP
AllenXS

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
When I had my '87 hatchback mustang I got home 12 foot 2x10's. I don't think I would try that today, certainly not with the Mach E - it's not worth messing up the interior. Now when I get lumber from home depot or lowe's I rent their truck for $20. If I am getting a lot (or bulky stuff like sheetrock) I have them deliver it. If I am getting wood from a lumber yard I just have it delivered.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Well the Mach-E is similar in dimensions to the CX-5...I’ve used my CX-5 to haul 8’ 2x4s and 2x8’ pieces of plywood with no problems. I expect the Ford will be similar.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well the Mach-E is similar in dimensions to the CX-5...I’ve used my CX-5 to haul 8’ 2x4s and 2x8’ pieces of plywood with no problems. I expect the Ford will be similar.
My concern would be the screen. Typically if you put something longer than 6ft, you end up resting it on the armrest between front seats. I'd be paranoid that I would hit the screen loading it, or even worse hitting the brakes hard and the 2x4 sliding into and smashing the LCD screen

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My concern would be the screen. Typically if you put something longer than 6ft, you end up resting it on the armrest between front seats. I'd be paranoid that I would hit the screen loading it, or even worse hitting the brakes hard and the 2x4 sliding into and smashing the LCD screen
Lol...good point! I hadn’t considered that. Usually though I just recline the front passenger seat and resting stuff on that. Though it still raises the risk of the material sliding in a front impact and exiting the vehicle through the windshield.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Lol...good point! I hadn’t considered that. Usually though I just recline the front passenger seat and resting stuff on that. Though it still raises the risk of the material sliding in a front impact and exiting the vehicle through the windshield.
The motorized passenger seat in the Premium won't lean very far forward, so recline is your best bet. However, it won't recline flat.

Ever think about a roof rack for lumber?

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The motorized passenger seat in the Premium won't lean very far forward, so recline is your best bet. However, it won't recline flat.

Done that in the past on a different car, works well, yeah. I really don’t buy lumber often though so don’t mind a minor inconvenience now and then. I have other cars I can use for these trips if the Ford doesn’t work out.

OP
OP
AllenXS

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
[QUOTE="ChasingCoral, post: 102484, member: 642

[/QUOTE]

Worried about the glass roof

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I just carried an 8' extension ladder in mine (with the rear hatch closed). I had about 1 inch clearance from the center display. I was one sudden stop sway from a major bummer.

OP
OP
AllenXS

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
I just carried an 8' extension ladder in mine (with the rear hatch closed). I had about 1 inch clearance from the center display. I was one sudden stop sway from a major bummer.
Yeah. I had a cord wrapped around it and holding on to it as well. Assisted driving was handy.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
hat do you think the longest piece of lumber will be I can get in?
I brought home 2 2x4x8s last weekend. The front tip was about 3” from the center screen, the back end was touching the back edge of the rear cargo floor.

also hauled home 1100 lbs of paving stones a few weeks ago. The Mach-E hauls a lot more than a**.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Carrying ability - lumber 7ADC6649-F928-4D79-AEAB-E02C4F03EE8A

Ford Mustang Mach-E Carrying ability - lumber 2BE337ED-6FC3-4412-B8DC-8059A9EB3935