Carscanner ? - average mi / Kwh

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
All - I'm new to carscanner but installed the app when my OBD2 reader came in today. I noticed that you can get the instantaneous mi/KWh on the app. I also see that category can also display the min , max, and average for your whole drive session.

My question - is there a way to have another field that shows the average over a shorter interval than the whole drive session? For example, if I wanted to see the average mi / KWh for the past 10 mins, 30 mins, etc?

Thanks
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Unless there's an update relatively recently, no. You'll have to export the data to a CSV file and do the math yourself.

OP
OP
RedDragon

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got it. I was hoping to have something like that for road trips, so wanted to see a live 10 and/or 30 min rolling average on the app itself. Do any of the other scanner apps have that capability?

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Mentally record your start percentage. After using exactly 10% look at how many miles you’ve driven. Ok is 20. Good is 22. Fab is 25.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mentally record your start percentage. After using exactly 10% look at how many miles you’ve driven. Ok is 20. Good is 22. Fab is 25.
In the summer when around 20C (68F) 200 miles uses around 85 percent so 23.5 miles/10%. I'm better than good but not fab ;) in perfect conditions. Percent and distance is what I also use on trips. Seen this trip mileage off so you need to note the odometer to be sure. Pretty sure that the GOM starts with distance traveled vs percentage used. It learning your commuting habits before a trip then temp, wind, speed all change makes using the basics more comfortable to me.

Halfway there and less than 45% of what you started with consumed is a good mental record also. You don't need the odometer if you use maps to locate the halfway point or know it from past trips. I start looking at percentage used (and consumption) early and know where's halfway. If I can make it to my designation at current speed then monitoring consumption becomes not that important later in the leg. Have not had to think about slowing down to make it yet.

OP
OP
RedDragon

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another question - does anyone know how the "EV Instant Energy Consumption" in car scanner is actually measured? Will this value also take into account consumption of the HVAC system? In real time, I noticed a lot of volatility in the metric so Im not sure how it arrives at its "per mile" calculation.

I went for a short drive today and noticed that this value goes negative with regen. It was about a 10 mile drive. I also have the average function enabled on scanner, where it will calculate the average of the metric in the corner. The miles per kwh from this average for the 10 mile trip was very different from the trip computers miles per kwh. It looks like the carscanner average is just taking the values that come out and averaging it, versus the trip computer is taking total kwh used and dividing it by total miles traveled. So the carscanner average feels kind of useless to me.

I guess on a long road trip where you are traveling at pretty constant speeds the carscanner average figure will be somewhat accurate but otherwise that number is not useful.
Sponsored

Last edited: