buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I had a Shelby GT 350 in front of me a couple of months ago at a light to get onto a ramp to the EZ Pass lanes of the DC beltway. The guy was giving me that "you don't have a real Mustang" glare, and I knew he was going to punch it on green to have me eat dust.

When the light changed, I stayed right on his bumper up the ramp. We shot out of the ramp at 90, and I stayed with him to 110 before backing off (I don't want to go to jail). But I wanted him to know I could do this all. day. long. BTW, I left it in Whisper mode and I didn't need to floor the accelerator to keep up - likely also the reason I didn't experience the down throttle at 80 mph.
Unless you know how someone is driving the GT350 the voodoo engine has its power all up at the upper rev range and for its displacement it is utterly gutless below 3500 pm and really only comes alive at 4000rpm so great on track but I doubt most people driving on the street are keeping it in the upper rev band all the time.

We know an EV due to the instant torque are always going to feel faster than an equivalent power ICE vehicle in everyday 0-30, 0-60 situations. As been covered multiple times in numerous threads 0-60 for the GT/GTPE is fine it is at highway speeds that the GT/GTPE is a performance dog as is very obvious in the video.

If Ford had engineered a vehicle that actually matched the marketing the only instance it would have struggled in would have been the low top speed of 124mph in the rolling tests. It should have shot off hit the 124mph limit which then would have then allowing the ICE GT to try and slowly claw it back, instead it made little headway and was caught and passed with ease which just highlights how poor the mid-range performance of the GT/GTPE really is.

Still thumbs up to carwow for a video that highlights the issues we all know, will be also interesting to see if they use the mach-e again in future drag races as they have done with the model-y
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stang68

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Unless you know how someone is driving the GT350 the voodoo engine has its power all up at the upper rev range and for its displacement it is utterly gutless below 3500 pm and really only comes alive at 4000rpm so great on track but I doubt most people driving on the street are keeping it in the upper rev band all the time.

We know an EV due to the instant torque are always going to feel faster than an equivalent power ICE vehicle in everyday 0-30, 0-60 situations. As been covered multiple times in numerous threads 0-60 for the GT/GTPE is fine it is at highway speeds that the GT/GTPE is a performance dog as is very obvious in the video.

If Ford had engineered a vehicle that actually matched the marketing the only instance it would have struggled in would have been the low top speed of 124mph in the rolling tests. It should have shot off hit the 124mph limit which then would have then allowing the ICE GT to try and slowly claw it back, instead it made little headway and was caught and passed with ease which just highlights how poor the mid-range performance of the GT/GTPE really is.

Still thumbs up to carwow for a video that highlights the issues we all know, will be also interesting to see if they use the mach-e again in future drag races as they have done with the model-y
So you're saying the GT350 sucks at one thing, and the GTPE sucks at another.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
So you're saying the GT350 sucks at one thing, and the GTPE sucks at another.
As an owner of both (Mach-e GE (not PE) and a GT350), this is true. the GT350 voodoo engine is an incredible machine, but it sucks from a dig. You really need to launch it above 4krpms and traction becomes a major concern in any public road situation. You gain about 100ft-lbs at 3500 rpms.

In any realistic public road situation, the Mach-e is the faster vehicle. The GT350 is faster in tight corners and above 80 (if in the right gear - at 80, that should be 3rd).

Unfortunately I will be selling my girl (GT350) at the end of the week. I will miss her. Hopefully my Lightning will keep my happy - come on build date! The Mach-e is my wife's

OP
OP
Stang68

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
As an owner of both (Mach-e GE (not PE) and a GT350), this is true. the GT350 voodoo engine is an incredible machine, but it sucks from a dig. You really need to launch it above 4krpms and traction becomes a major concern in any public road situation. You gain about 100ft-lbs at 3500 rpms.

In any realistic public road situation, the Mach-e is the faster vehicle. The GT350 is faster in tight corners and above 80 (if in the right gear - at 80, that should be 3rd).

Unfortunately I will be selling my girl (GT350) at the end of the week. I will miss her. Hopefully my Lightning will keep my happy - come on build date! The Mach-e is my wife's
Ah interesting to hear. Still looks and sounds like a mean beast (and it is, I'm sure!).
Sad to hear it's being sold, but you're probably making a killing on it!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Ah interesting to hear. Still looks and sounds like a mean beast (and it is, I'm sure!).
Sad to hear it's being sold, but you're probably making a killing on it!
Getting what I paid for it 2 years and ~10k miles ago. I would count that as a win.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but pretty sure there was a reason for the five second power limit considering what we are seeing now with the HVBJB recall and failures. They probably thought five seconds was short enough to avoid failures. Maybe with the new revised parts there is potential for the future, but I'd be shocked for them to increase the limit with the existing parts.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but pretty sure there was a reason for the five second power limit considering what we are seeing now with the HVBJB recall and failures. They probably thought five seconds was short enough to avoid failures. Maybe with the new revised parts there is potential for the future, but I'd be shocked for them to increase the limit with the existing parts.
Again, HVBJB and 5 second limit have nothing to do with each other.

The limit is on the Gt models only.

HVBJB is on ALL models. Even the standard range rwd.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Again, HVBJB and 5 second limit have nothing to do with each other.

The limit is on the Gt models only.

HVBJB is on ALL models. Even the standard range rwd.
You might be right, but they knew the GT/PE models would generate excessive heat on full go and to prevent damage limited the power after five seconds. Now we have a part, related or not to the initial reason for the five seconds limit, that fails under high heat. I just don't believe they will risk the potential of increasing the likelihood of this part failing by allowing even more heat to be generated.

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black MME GT w Panoramic Roof & BlueAssist
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag

Good points, but remember I didn't just glue myself to him at the jump with the EV instant torque, I stayed on him all the way up the ramp and to 110. And trust me, this a-hole was looking to show me up.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
You might be right, but they knew the GT/PE models would generate excessive heat on full go and to prevent damage limited the power after five seconds. Now we have a part, related or not to the initial reason for the five seconds limit, that fails under high heat. I just don't believe they will risk the potential of increasing the likelihood of this part failing by allowing even more heat to be generated.
You don't even get the full power potential of the motors, so for whatever the reasons be it battery component limitations internal politics or both the GT/GTPE as performance BEV was power nobbled before we even get into the 5 seconds limitations. Maybe in time as more performance EVs turn up in this classes price point Ford will be forced to finally fix the issue and engineer it properly.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Good points, but remember I didn't just glue myself to him at the jump with the EV instant torque, I stayed on him all the way up the ramp and to 110. And trust me, this a-hole was looking to show me up.
Not doubting you keeping up as from my experience of having a play around in a GT350 around a track and on street unless your drive it bouncing of the limiter it is not actually that fast due to where the power band sits. If you keep it on the boil and never go below 4500rpm which you should just for the sound alone it is great fun :). But when in normal driving it was like driving an early 1980 laggy turbo, Nothing, nothing, still nothing and there it is ;)

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I’m sure you were glued to him as you say, however, a well driven GT350 runs 12.0-12.3 1/4 miles at 118-119 mph stone ass stock. The only way you stay glued to one above 60mph is if they’re short-shifting at 6500-7000rpm instead of ripping to 8250. And lol at him being an a-hole. Maybe he just wanted to run you…
Sponsored