Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Today, my Premium SR AWD of 1 week suffered a complete meltdown (or I guess I should say “freeze up” given today’s 3 degree high temp) in the middle of I-35W in downtown Minneapolis. I was at 75% charge and everything was functioning normally, I was driving under 20 mph in congestion, and then all hell broke loose when I came to a stop. The first thing I noticed was the big screen shutting down to conserve power, and then the fact that the motor had turned off and the dash was flashing every possible error / warning message at me. I thought, okay, let’s shift into park and then restart, but pressing the start / stop button did nothing - and now I couldn’t shift into neutral or anything else. The only thing that seemed to function was the OK button to read the next failure message - and they spanned “rear door ajar” (it wasn’t) to “parking brake fault” (I hadn’t applied it). Long story short: I called the state patrol, they summoned a flatbed tow truck, and we hauled my overwhelmed car back to the dealership where I signed purchase papers the week before. We couldn’t even get the driver’s door to latch - is there a “latch”?

I know there are several threads about electronics failures similar to mine, and I’ll comb through those for hints. But I hope you’ll also share your thoughts and/or send links to thread that you think might be relevant. I want to be ready to advocate with the service department starting tomorrow, since they were all but closed when we arrived late this afternoon.

Here are a couple of screenshots that I just took - thanks in advance for your help!

2905EC9C-56DD-4848-B10B-C75E208D518F.png

B6C1DB96-24C1-43CD-BA04-1E29A4559EBD.png

Mattyice7

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E premium RWD Ext Range
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Seems like it was likely the 12V battery being faulty. My wife and I just went through this issue with our highlander hybrid (and I’ve seen others post the issue here too). Hope this gets taken care of quickly for you!

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I agree. I am betting it is either a battery issue or a software issue. Either on should be fairly easy to fix and hopefully you will be back on the road in no time.

OP
OP
Jbkimmel

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Thanks - I have to admit that I don’t yet fully understand the relationship of the 12V to the main battery, but I’ll read up tonight….

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
This issue isn’t fixed on newer builds??

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
Jbkimmel

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Thank you! I hadn’t seen your thread before, and it seems spot on - including the spooky thumping and popping sounds. And my wipers were twitching, like a dying animal…traumatic!
Is this a new build? What month?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Did anyone ever figure out what may have been triggering this, assuming the battery was faulty?

Was it just random, or would very cold weather make it more likely to appear if the battery was already borderline?

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
The fact that Sync saying it was shutting down to save battery really sounds like a 12V battery problem. It shouldn't need to conserve power, unless the battery is near its low voltage cutoff. I'm betting the cold weather is affecting the AGM battery more than expected, for whatever reason.

Alan Minnesota

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
@Jbkimmel sorry to hear this. I’m keeping my fingers crossed as the temp for our morning drive tomorrow is -19F. Which dealership are you using? I purchased at Inver Grove Ford here and Eric has been my service advisor. Plus or minus the supply chain back orders they have been pretty helpful when I’ve been in.
Sponsored