Caveat Emptor-But the Dealer Model is not DEAD!

Matthewmohan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
First off- I apologize for the long post but I think it is meaningful. OK-Buyer Beware-It is one of those sayings that through the generations has kind of lost its meaning. Like so many of its Latin brothers, the use nowadays has taken on the connotation of an ill omen, but really it’s just a sage piece of advice. Perhaps less biting is the saying “ Knowledge is power”, but really what it comes down to is get as much information as you can. I say this all as a preface to what I feel was the best car buying experience I have ever had and how it had everything to do with the information that this site provides.
I finally got Sonic on Friday after over a year, a really weird year. I made a reservation the day after the unveiling. I had a sub 10,000 reservation number when we thought that meant something. I decided to switch to a Mach Drop car in August and regretted it through the winter but that is behind me. I have my car and I am in love. I have never been happier with a vehicle. But to be honest that doesn’t surprise me. I expected to be happy with the car. All the countless hours of reviews on YouTube and hours, maybe days, of pouring through websites and forums had me more prepared for this car than I was for marriage or fatherhood. What I wasn’t fully prepared for was the buying experience.
As a backdrop, I love buying cars. My wife refuses to go with me anymore. I usually take a day off work when it’s time. I wear certain clothes, I change watches. It’s a thing. I prepare as Sun Tzu has taught me. And I expect this campaign to take at least the day. I have spent 8+ hours at a dealer before. But really all of this preparation is because I am trying to level the playing field. There is an information imbalance in the car buying process that almost all of us face when we buy a car through a dealer. There are incentives, dealer holdbacks, rebates, finance offers. All things that give the dealer an edge. You can try to get all the information but at the end of the day you always walk out thinking “Was that the best deal I could have gotten?” And that nagging feeling sours your dealer relationship over time like a lingering doubt.
This becomes ever more important as Tesla has shown us there is another way. Maybe I don’t have to have that doubt. Maybe the dealer is more trouble than it’s worth? I believe I once posted on this very site that if this car had one weak link it was the dealer process and I still think that is the case for some of us-Unfortunately. And I think that is the real issue. The inconsistency across dealers.
I was first introduced to my salesman Dennis via email when I placed my order in June. I first met him during the Mach e demos in the Fall. That first meeting was very important. We were learning about the car together. It was then I realized the balance of power in this transaction was going to be much different.
Armed with all the information I had gathered over the last year, buying the car was almost uneventful.
I had been calling Dennis every couple of weeks to check in and see if he had any information outside of what the Ford website was showing me. As we got closer to the expected delivery date we had some conversations about financing options. I sent him an email outlining all the info I received on this forum about the X-plan, the $100, the NY state rebates. We had financing and pricing worked out before the car was ever even delivered. I can’t stress enough, being able to email is crucial. You can outline your expectations well in advance.
When I saw my dealers number pop up on my phone Tuesday night I knew it was on. I literally saw Sonic coming off the truck. It was weirdly reminiscent of the birth of my children (Don’t tell my wife I said that). We made a date for pickup on Friday morning. Again, I took the day off. I was ready. I donned my car buying outfit like a knight donning his armor before battle. I had my folder with a hard copy of all my emails, all my independently confirmed finance numbers, all the checklists for delivery from this site, all my INFORMATION... Ready to do battle. And then...nothing. I saw Dennis, he gave me the key, he said there’s the car with a smile on his face. He let me get acquainted with the car by myself for as much time as I wanted. I went through my notes, checking and rechecking. Deliberating how much time was the right amount to time to show I was being thorough but not insane. I walked in, he sat me down with the finance guy, his numbers matched mine to the penny. I signed, I thanked everyone and I was out. 16 months of accumulated anticipation and I was out. No surprises, no battle, no doubt. I bought my car like I buy an iPhone. Which I think is an appropriate comparison.
The dealer model isn’t dead. The good ones will adapt. I know I am happier in the experience and knowing that if I have any problems there is a place I can bring my car that is just 2 miles away. A place where I can talk to people I know and who know me. If you’re on Long Island and are in the market for a Mach-E, talk to Dennis at Hempstead Ford. He treated me right, but Caveat Emptor.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Caveat Emptor-But the Dealer Model is not DEAD! BB2701B9-86C6-4512-B3D5-9734B765A2A6
Sponsored

Last edited:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Dealer did so well, you forgot to mention them?

Congrats and enjoy!

Reservation holders are generally not the ones having issues with the dealers. Anyone who put in reservation should have confirmed with their dealer early in writing with agreed terms. NO ADM, XPLAN etc etc.

OP
OP
Matthewmohan

Matthewmohan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Dealer did so well, you forgot to mention them?

Congrats and enjoy!

Reservation holders are generally not the ones having issues with the dealers. Anyone who put in reservation should have confirmed with their dealer early in writing with agreed terms. NO ADM, XPLAN etc etc.
I mentioned him at the bottom. Dennis at Hempstead Ford?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Some dealers are fantastic. Some are not.

The problem is Ford can't "cull the herd" and keep only the good ones because of how restrictive the franchise laws are. And Ford can't list a "likelihood of being scammed" score for each dealer on their site either... so it's totally hit or miss.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
So glad you had a great dealer experience. Having spent some time yesterday at ours finally getting in a test drive I am cautiously optimistic.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I mentioned him at the bottom. Dennis at Hempstead Ford?
Hmm strange, I see it now, oh well again congrats! I bought a explorer from them in the 90’s when I lived in Lynbrook.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
You were fortunate to pick a competent and customer-oriented dealer.

Too bad that all Ford dealers are not like that. As a Ford "fanboy" I am disappointed that Ford does not do a better job of monitoring their dealers.

I just came across this pamphlet, put out by a New Jersey Ford dealer, selling products that are specifically NOT recommended in our owner's manual.

So, OP, your advice of Buyer Beware is excellent advice. Sad that we have to do that.

BTW, this dealer is Downs Ford in Toms River.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Caveat Emptor-But the Dealer Model is not DEAD! 1615141564618

Last edited:

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Some dealers are fantastic. Some are not.

The problem is Ford can't "cull the herd" and keep only the good ones because of how restrictive the franchise laws are. And Ford can't list a "likelihood of being scammed" score for each dealer on their site either... so it's totally hit or miss.
Well…..maybe they can. All of the Mach E dealers had to agree to be a Mach E dealer. That includes a “tooling investment” of around $15k. Ford can, (and should) enforce the agreement with dealers who score low in the customer response survey, especially on the Mach E. I suspect this has all ready been empathized to the dealer. Reimagining the purchasing process for a specific car moves the dealer into the next wave of car buying - like it or not.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
While I did not have a great dealer experience during the waiting period (no communication) my buying experience paralleled yours. I went in ready for a battle but everything was perfectly in order. All incentives properly itemized. Ford Options perfectly implemented. No pressure to buy a warranty, paint protection, nothing. In the end I was very happy with the buying experience.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
First off- I apologize for the long post but I think it is meaningful. OK-Buyer Beware-It is one of those sayings that through the generations has kind of lost its meaning. Like so many of its Latin brothers, the use nowadays has taken on the connotation of an ill omen, but really it’s just a sage piece of advice. Perhaps less biting is the saying “ Knowledge is power”, but really what it comes down to is get as much information as you can. I say this all as a preface to what I feel was the best car buying experience I have ever had and how it had everything to do with the information that this site provides.
I finally got Sonic on Friday after over a year, a really weird year. I made a reservation the day after the unveiling. I had a sub 10,000 reservation number when we thought that meant something. I decided to switch to a Mach Drop car in August and regretted it through the winter but that is behind me. I have my car and I am in love. I have never been happier with a vehicle. But to be honest that doesn’t surprise me. I expected to be happy with the car. All the countless hours of reviews on YouTube and hours, maybe days, of pouring through websites and forums had me more prepared for this car than I was for marriage or fatherhood. What I wasn’t fully prepared for was the buying experience.
As a backdrop, I love buying cars. My wife refuses to go with me anymore. I usually take a day off work when it’s time. I wear certain clothes, I change watches. It’s a thing. I prepare as Sun Tzu has taught me. And I expect this campaign to take at least the day. I have spent 8+ hours at a dealer before. But really all of this preparation is because I am trying to level the playing field. There is an information imbalance in the car buying process that almost all of us face when we buy a car through a dealer. There are incentives, dealer holdbacks, rebates, finance offers. All things that give the dealer an edge. You can try to get all the information but at the end of the day you always walk out thinking “Was that the best deal I could have gotten?” And that nagging feeling sours your dealer relationship over time like a lingering doubt.
This becomes ever more important as Tesla has shown us there is another way. Maybe I don’t have to have that doubt. Maybe the dealer is more trouble than it’s worth? I believe I once posted on this very site that if this car had one weak link it was the dealer process and I still think that is the case for some of us-Unfortunately. And I think that is the real issue. The inconsistency across dealers.
I was first introduced to my salesman Dennis via email when I placed my order in June. I first met him during the Mach e demos in the Fall. That first meeting was very important. We were learning about the car together. It was then I realized the balance of power in this transaction was going to be much different.
Armed with all the information I had gathered over the last year, buying the car was almost uneventful.
I had been calling Dennis every couple of weeks to check in and see if he had any information outside of what the Ford website was showing me. As we got closer to the expected delivery date we had some conversations about financing options. I sent him an email outlining all the info I received on this forum about the X-plan, the $100, the NY state rebates. We had financing and pricing worked out before the car was ever even delivered. I can’t stress enough, being able to email is crucial. You can outline your expectations well in advance.
When I saw my dealers number pop up on my phone Tuesday night I knew it was on. I literally saw Sonic coming off the truck. It was weirdly reminiscent of the birth of my children (Don’t tell my wife I said that). We made a date for pickup on Friday morning. Again, I took the day off. I was ready. I donned my car buying outfit like a knight donning his armor before battle. I had my folder with a hard copy of all my emails, all my independently confirmed finance numbers, all the checklists for delivery from this site, all my INFORMATION... Ready to do battle. And then...nothing. I saw Dennis, he gave me the key, he said there’s the car with a smile on his face. He let me get acquainted with the car by myself for as much time as I wanted. I went through my notes, checking and rechecking. Deliberating how much time was the right amount to time to show I was being thorough but not insane. I walked in, he sat me down with the finance guy, his numbers matched mine to the penny. I signed, I thanked everyone and I was out. 16 months of accumulated anticipation and I was out. No surprises, no battle, no doubt. I bought my car like I buy an iPhone. Which I think is an appropriate comparison.
The dealer model isn’t dead. The good ones will adapt. I know I am happier in the experience and knowing that if I have any problems there is a place I can bring my car that is just 2 miles away. A place where I can talk to people I know and who know me. If you’re on Long Island and are in the market for a Mach-E, talk to Dennis at Hempstead Ford. He treated me right, but Caveat Emptor.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Caveat Emptor-But the Dealer Model is not DEAD! 1615141564618
the dealer model is why I never realistically considered tesla, nearest service for me is over 100 miles away, my ford dealer is 3 miles from my house.

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
I'm very confused about how this is a good look for dealers?

I get that you find enjoyment in buying a car but taking a day of work and dressing up fancy to do it feels pretty...entitled. Most people can't or don't want to do that, or waste 8+ hours of their weekend to buy something that they just use to get from A -> B. You literally say at the end of that paragraph that you can't even know if you came out with the best deal whereas at least with the Tesla model you know you paid what that person who bought the same car ten minutes later paid.

You also mention that YOU called the dealership, not that they called. They are selling you a product and you have to do the work. They get a commission but you think its great that you had the ability to teach them everything they needed and then in the end they get paid for it and you don't get anything. I'm really glad I found this forum so I could know what to do and what to expect but I'd guess that the large large majority of people just don't have the time (or the knowledge) to do all that.

I can’t stress enough, being able to email is crucial. You can outline your expectations well in advance.
My mother barely knows how to send an email so your saying that it is great that a model exists that requires you do to work and have knowledge so that you can not get taken advantage of?

Good or bad dealerships have no reason to adapt as there really isn't competition. If you happen to live near a bunch of dealerships then sure but in my case, the Ford dealership is the only one I can get to in under an hours ride on public transit. They basically got my sale by default. I can only imagine what its like if you live further out of a metro area.

Overall if I can get in and out of the dealership in 3 hours I'll call that a win but how sad is that that it takes me 3 hours to pay someone money. Not saying Telsa has it perfect, but I know I'd be much happier if I could just do everything online then grab a car

OP
OP
Matthewmohan

Matthewmohan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I'm very confused about how this is a good look for dealers?

I get that you find enjoyment in buying a car but taking a day of work and dressing up fancy to do it feels pretty...entitled. Most people can't or don't want to do that, or waste 8+ hours of their weekend to buy something that they just use to get from A -> B. You literally say at the end of that paragraph that you can't even know if you came out with the best deal whereas at least with the Tesla model you know you paid what that person who bought the same car ten minutes later paid.

You also mention that YOU called the dealership, not that they called. They are selling you a product and you have to do the work. They get a commission but you think its great that you had the ability to teach them everything they needed and then in the end they get paid for it and you don't get anything. I'm really glad I found this forum so I could know what to do and what to expect but I'd guess that the large large majority of people just don't have the time (or the knowledge) to do all that.

My mother barely knows how to send an email so your saying that it is great that a model exists that requires you do to work and have knowledge so that you can not get taken advantage of?

Good or bad dealerships have no reason to adapt as there really isn't competition. If you happen to live near a bunch of dealerships then sure but in my case, the Ford dealership is the only one I can get to in under an hours ride on public transit. They basically got my sale by default. I can only imagine what its like if you live further out of a metro area.

Overall if I can get in and out of the dealership in 3 hours I'll call that a win but how sad is that that it takes me 3 hours to pay someone money. Not saying Telsa has it perfect, but I know I'd be much happier if I could just do everything online then grab a car
Yeah-I’m pretty entitled.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I had confirmed X-Plan and no ADM with my dealer and let them know I was going Options. I expected to be in/out of the dealer in an hour (assuming test drive, paperwork and final prep). That took 1.5 hrs which is reasonable.

What I didn’t expect was the additional 1.5hrs to negotiate the Options rate down to the Ford site’s 2.25%. That was painful.

That aside, the dealer and sales team were friendly and pleasant to work with.

OP
OP
Matthewmohan

Matthewmohan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I had confirmed X-Plan and no ADM with my dealer and let them know I was going Options. I expected to be in/out of the dealer in an hour (assuming test drive, paperwork and final prep). That took 1.5 hrs which is reasonable.

What I didn’t expect was the additional 1.5hrs to negotiate the Options rate down to the Ford site’s 2.25%. That was painful.

That aside, the dealer and sales team were friendly and pleasant to work with.
That sucks. That is definitely one of the issues with the dealer model. That shouldn’t be happening, but again with the information that you had you knew to argue.
Sponsored