ten8bike

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 pickup
Country flag
Hi to everyone else who is waiting, waiting, waiting....I have a question about cell phones and the MachE.

The van we'll be trading in for the Ford has a very good hiding spot for my cell phone, and I leave it there when I go into my swim club; I don't want it to get wet, and it would have a better chance of being stolen from the locker than from the car.

So, if the cell phone controls things for the Ford (even if you have the extra little card), can you lock the car with the phone in it?
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Hi to everyone else who is waiting, waiting, waiting....I have a question about cell phones and the MachE.

The van we'll be trading in for the Ford has a very good hiding spot for my cell phone, and I leave it there when I go into my swim club; I don't want it to get wet, and it would have a better chance of being stolen from the locker than from the car.

So, if the cell phone controls things for the Ford (even if you have the extra little card), can you lock the car with the phone in it?
You could probably turn off the Bluetooth and lock the door with the keypad.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Turn off the phone ;)

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Is the phone treated the same way as a key fob where you can't lock it in the car (with Bluetooth on)?

I would agree with @KAustin that disabling Bluetooth should do the trick.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Is the phone treated the same way as a key fob where you can't lock it in the car (with Bluetooth on)?

I would agree with @KAustin that disabling Bluetooth should do the trick.
or use the keypad as @KAustin said as well. That works with the keyfob on current vehicles; I'd expect it to work with the phone as well.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
If you need to lock everything in the car including your phone: Don't bring your keyfob. Turn the phone off or disable Bluetooth. Use the keypad to lock and unlock.

Sound right?

Shouldn't be an issue for the swim/bike/run folks among us. :)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Or bring a Faraday bag for the keyfob. Then lock the keyfob, in the Faraday bag in the car.

(Chosen literally at random from Amazon as an example)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cell phone and the MachE faraday

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you read the negative reviews of all of the faraday bags on the first page returned by amazon, ALL of them have complaints that say the bag worked for a while and then stopped working. I don't understand how that can be, unless flexing the flap eventually breaks the inner metallic membrane?

Anyway, I just tried wrapping my key fobs in aluminum foil and that seemed to work fine - as in the car didn't see the keys

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
or the $2 version:
If you read the negative reviews of all of the faraday bags on the first page returned by amazon, ALL of them have complaints that say the bag worked for a while and then stopped working. I don't understand how that can be, unless flexing the flap eventually breaks the inner metallic membrane?

Anyway, I just tried wrapping my key fobs in aluminum foil and that seemed to work fine - as in the car didn't see the keys
We all know the tin foil hats keep the aliens &/or government from reading our minds. Of course it will work for car keys.