Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
23-01-11 , 20444 miles , just under 2 years of ownership

center screen went black on way home from a job site. Note that 'backlight' LED looks active w faint glow, but display graphics and radio button are NOT illuminated.

I stopped at Dealership on my way while it was black, they say they cannot schedule time to even look at it until April, can't pull codes via FDRS remotely to get parts ordered, and can't accept code dump if I send it.

Display came back next time I went to drive.... so, I'll just add it to the list I want them to look at when I can get an appt scheduled:
- clicking noise in front axles, (likely need replacement half-shafts)​
- occasional Alerts of front camera failure,​
- and now occasional black display.​

Note that the center Display was replaced my first month of ownership because of similar symptom.... occasionally blacking out. At the time I was thinking it was 100% heat related the times I parked outside facing South, but now I am losing faith in the durability of the Display. What will it be like in 5 or 10 years? I sure as heck don't want this replacement to be on my dime. I would hope that instrumentation is good for the life of the car. I'm wanting to go back to Analog instrumentation and use my frigging phone for navigation! But, there is no other way to enter PAAK backup code if and when needed with a functional display.

I wonder if the display counts under the 10 year/100,000 warranty, or just 3yr/36k? Or, is there a 'component warranty' on individual pieces like this that re-starts when they are replaced? i.e. Is @Ford Motor Company is willing to replace the center screen every two years on their dime until they re-design it for an acceptable life ?

I am NOT HAPPY with repeat failure of this unit, (less than 2 years old), and REALLY NOT HAPPY that soonest appt for 'dealer-only' repair is MONTHS out from even being looked at because of lack of Certified EV techs.

... the Display came back on when I went out to garage an hour later, but my trust went out the window, and is not likely to return unless @Ford Motor Company tells me they have actually made a design change that will prevent future meltdowns.

20230111_backlight_on.jpg

20230111_no-display.jpg

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

center screen went black on way home from a job site. Note that 'backlight' LED looks active w faint glow, but display graphics and radio button are NOT illuminated.

I stopped at Dealership on my way while it was black, they say they cannot schedule time to even look at it until April, can't pull codes via FDRS remotely to get parts ordered, and can't accept code dump if I send it.

Display came back next time I went to drive.... so, I'll just add it to the list I want them to look at when I can get an appt scheduled:

Note that the center Display was replaced my first month of ownership because of similar symptom.... occasionally blacking out. At the time I was thinking it was 100% heat related the times I parked outside facing South, but now I am losing faith in the durability of the Display. What will it be like in 5 or 10 years? I sure as heck don't want this replacement to be on my dime. I would hope that instrumentation is good for the life of the car. I'm wanting to go back to Analog instrumentation and use my frigging phone for navigation! But, there is no other way to enter PAAK backup code if and when needed with a functional display.

I wonder if the display counts under the 10 year/100,000 warranty, or just 3yr/36k? Or, is there a 'component warranty' on individual pieces like this that re-starts when they are replaced? i.e. Is @Ford Motor Company is willing to replace the center screen every two years on their dime until they re-design it for an acceptable life ?

I am NOT HAPPY with repeat failure of this unit, (less than 2 years old), and REALLY NOT HAPPY that soonest appt for 'dealer-only' repair is MONTHS out from even being looked at because of lack of Certified EV techs.

... the Display came back on when I went out to garage an hour later, but my trust went out the window, and is not likely to return unless @Ford Motor Company tells me they have actually made a design change that will prevent future meltdowns.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Center Display Screen failed - again 20230111_no-display

If the backlight is on, itā€™s likely more software than display hardware, did you try a sync reset before you went to the dealer?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Find another dealer Dan, even if itā€™s in ABQ. Thatā€™s totally unacceptable.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
If the backlight is on, itā€™s likely more software than display hardware, did you try a sync reset before you went to the dealer?
I did not reset.
I should not have to, ever.
It came back on after a rest.... but that does not inspire confidence.

I suspect that the display processor overheated still (since there is no cooling fan to circulate cabin air thru it), or has a bad chip, or whatever I don't care. Display of data critical to start the car should last the life of the car. Since there is no other way to enter PAAK backup code, I consider this a pretty critical failure not just a 'disappointment'.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Find another dealer Dan, even if itā€™s in ABQ. Thatā€™s totally unacceptable.
they are all short staffed, especially EV techs.
I MIGHT be able to push Service sooner since I have a good relationship, but I have a real problem with Ford not enabling Dealerships to at least start diagnostics with remote FDRS so they can order likely parts and not hold vehicles hostage waiting....

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Thereā€™s a fix for the axle clicking (replacing the half shafts). Known issue. Big thread on this. Search forum.

Thereā€™s a fix for the front camera faults (replacing coaxial camera cable in headliner). Known issue. Big thread on this. Search forum.

The infotainment screen failing to load happens very sporadically. Itā€™s happened to me three times in 2 years. You fix it by resetting SYNC. If you cannot tolerate sporadic bugs like this, this is NOT the car for you. :)

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Does this require an EV tech?

Seems unrelated to the car's being electric. You can nail an iPad to the dashboard in an ICEV just as easily as an EV.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thereā€™s a fix for the axle clicking (replacing the half shafts). Known issue. Big thread on this. Search forum.

Thereā€™s a fix for the front camera faults (replacing coaxial camera cable in headliner). Known issue. Big thread on this. Search forum.

The infotainment screen failing to load happens very sporadically. Itā€™s happened to me three times in 2 years. You fix it by resetting SYNC. If you cannot tolerate sporadic bugs like this, this is NOT the car for you. :)
I am aware of and already on the first two.... mechanical issues I can accept and deal with.

Repeat failures of infotainment features I could deal with, grudgingly. But repeat failures of a system critical to starting the car in an emergency is not ok, ever. If the display is going to fail occasionally, there needs to be a dependable way to enter PAAK backup code.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am aware of and already on the first two.... mechanical issues I can accept and deal with.

Repeat failures of infotainment features I could deal with, grudgingly. But repeat failures of a system critical to starting the car in an emergency is not ok, ever. If the display is going to fail occasionally, there needs to be a dependable way to enter PAAK backup code.
If youā€™re that worried about it, youā€™re either going to need to start carrying a fob (or keep one in a faraday bag in the glove box), or trade in your car. These intermittent PAAK and screen bugs arenā€™t going to be completely eliminated anytime soon. Iā€™m not trying to be unsympathetic - Iā€™m telling you like it is.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
If youā€™re that worried about it, youā€™re either going to need to start carrying a fob (or keep one in a faraday bag in the glove box), or trade in your car. These intermittent PAAK and screen bugs arenā€™t going to be completely eliminated anytime soon. Iā€™m not trying to be unsympathetic - Iā€™m telling you like it is.
I do remember my door code and do have fob in car.... so I would be ok.... but what about others that don't?

we.re back to potentially dangerous strandings (like the HVBJB issue). The Display deserves attention, design change, and a recall to reduce incidents of random blackout to an acceptable level.

Accepting the problem and not raising it to the attention of @Ford Motor Company will never get it fixed. Do you really choose to look the other way on this one shrug your shoulders and say it's to be expected?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Was the display black but still responding to inputs? There is an SSM that came out about this a while ago but probably after your first replacement. The replacement units should not have this issue anymore.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I MIGHT be able to push Service sooner since I have a good relationship, but I have a real problem with Ford not enabling Dealerships to at least start diagnostics with remote FDRS so they can order likely parts and not hold vehicles hostage waiting....
I can certainly empathize with you - made an appointment in December for the last week of March. Of course my next appointment after March may be never as my local dealer opted out of Model E program so no more service after Dec! Next closest Ford dealer is 350 miles and not sure they opted in or not.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Accepting the problem and not raising it to the attention of @Ford Motor Company will never get it fixed. Do you really choose to look the other way on this one shrug your shoulders and say it's to be expected?
I understand. Iā€™m definitely doing my part complaining to Ford about a number of different bugs. Iā€™ve been doing it for nearly two years. In some cases for the same bug.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I can certainly empathize with you - made an appointment in December for the last week of March. Of course my next appointment after March may be never as my local dealer opted out of Model E program so no more service after Dec! Next closest Ford dealer is 350 miles and not sure they opted in or not.
Part of the problem I think is that so many of the repairs are dealer only where a Ford certified Master Tech is required to do the work. The days of the garage mechanic are much more difficult with EVS as soon as you get into the electrical side of anything

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Good morning! This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have. If you can send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info, I can look into this for you.