LexiRN

First Name
Lexi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e
Country flag
Looking for opinions on getting a ceramic coating done on my mach-e. I've never had a vehicle worth coating. Worth it? Does it ever peel? Appreciate the input.
Sponsored

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
A ceramic coating is worth it if you clean your car yourself and like to make it as easy as possible while protecting the paint from things like bird poop, road grime and other contaminants. It makes the car more slippery, essentially. It’s like an extra clear coat.

Do not get a ceramic coating if you’re expecting it to protect the paint from chips and dings. It does not do that. That’s PPF.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Opinions will vary. I consider it snake oil. I think people are very gullible to buy the latest thing. I see the ceramic term used on things that clearly are bullcrap. Some have what I would consider crazy cleaning habits, like never using a microfiber towel a second time. Or buying car cleaning products that compare in cost to a car payment.

I wash my new vehicles. I then wax with NuFinish. I then wax with Collinite 845. The only reason I use NuFinish first is because it brings out the shine, the Collinite just protects. The car will bead a year later.

Whatever floats your boat. But make sure you're not just buying into the hype.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Looking for opinions on getting a ceramic coating done on my mach-e. I've never had a vehicle worth coating. Worth it? Does it ever peel? Appreciate the input.
First, true ceramic coatings aren’t snake oil, but, many of the cheap “ceramic” sprays over promise and under deliver. My son and I have been using the cheap $12.99 Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions ceramic spray coating to good effect. Very good water beading for 4-6 weeks after 1 application, or 8-12 weeks if you apply a 2nd coat. It’s pretty much wipe on, wife off per instructions, no real skill or work involved. But, it’s not a true ceramic layer of long lasting paint protection.

That said, I read reviews on true ceramic coatings for the DIY car enthusiast and recently purchased the Adam’s Polishes Graphene Ceramic Coating Advanced kit. It was $145 on Amazon and includes enough ceramic and prep spray to do 2 vehicles. It is also rated at a 10H hardness level which is the highest they sell, supposedly good for 9-10 years, but, that’ll depend on application and environment no doubt. It also comes with a UV flashlight that you shine on areas that you’ve coated with ceramic already to highlight any areas you’ve missed. Partly gimmick but it did make the coating process easier.

Results on our son’s crystal black silica ‘17 WRX were rather eye opening. He prepped it with a clay bar, then did a cleaner wax and a polishing wax prior to application of the ceramic per instructions. There was a noticeable difference in paint color depth and “wet” look after the ceramic as opposed to just the clay bar and 2 steps of wax application. Additionally, dirt and tree sap and bird crap literally rinse right off with no effort. Time will tell how long it lasts but it beats dropping $1500-3K for a pro to do I’ll tell you that. Next up is my wife’s Mach E.

I now recommend giving a high quality DIY ceramic coating a try after this experience.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ceramic coating? 8D9FE020-7344-44D9-B22F-A6CD1FA02249

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There are two general types of ceramic coatings. First, there are professionally applied coatings that require respirators and special equipment for curing. Those will be more expensive than do-it-yourself type coatings. They will also last for years with proper maintenance (washing mostly). One advantage these coatings have is they also provide UV protection to your paint for those who live in an area where this is critical (such as me). You pay for the prep work and the ability to use professional-grade equipment. The ads you see where they squirt lighter fluid on the paint and light it with no ill effects? Yeah, that is late-night television salesmanship.

The second broad category is the spray-on type coatings. Turtle Wax, for example, has a very popular line of Ceramic Sprays. The various graphene spray coatings would fall in here as well. These are fairly low in SiO2 (or graphene) but do give a nice shine, and should outlast a normal paste wax. They will need to be reapplied regularly to maintain the luster and paint protection. How long will they last? Ask someone who doesn’t live in excessive UV light Hawaii. Out here a paste wax finish might last 2 months if you’re lucky. Elsewhere it’s much better I’m sure.

There is actually a third category to consider and that is the consumer level ceramic coatings applied by wiping on. These are small bottles where you use a few drops on an applicator, wipe a section of the car in two directions, and wipe off with a microfiber towel. They take longer to apply but last far longer than spray-on coatings. These coatings are softer than the professional coatings but harder than a wax or spray ceramic coating. I did our restored Jeep Wrangler in AvalonKing's Armor IX, it turned out great.

Also keep in mind that any product, wax or ceramic, needs prep work. That will be the most time-consuming and tedious part. Wash, claybar, polish, clean, etc. if you’re good at that, you can save time and money and get great results. Or pay someone to do it using a professional product and get great long lasting results. As I said, I did it myself on our resorted Jeep, we had a local detail shop apply Ceramic Pro sliver plus (3 coats) on our 2020 Raptor and 2021 MME.

Last edited:

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Opinions will vary. I consider it snake oil. I think people are very gullible to buy the latest thing.
Given the some automotive products are overhyped, overpriced, and underperform (for example, F11 Topcoat), I don't blame you for being skeptical. But, IMO, ceramic coatings are definitely NOT snakeoil. If you go to autogeekonline.net, which is a forum for professional detailers and enthusiasts, there is definitely a consensus that ceramic coatings are legitimate and a far more durable form of paint protection than more traditional sealants and waxes.

There is nothing wrong with NuFinish and Collinite. In fact, I am a big Collinite fan. However, there are two major drawbacks with these types of products compared to ceramic coatings. 1) Both Nufinish and Collinite waxes have the potential to stain black trim. For example, this is from the NuFinish website FAQ:

" Do not use Nu FinishÂź Car Polish on vinyl, plastic trim, simulated wood, rubber or flat paint. "

Ceramic coatings can be applied to paint as well as vinyl and plastic trim.

2) Sealants and waxes simply do not last as long as ceramic coatings. They have to be reapplied every 3 to 6 months. Consumer-grade ceramic coatings can last 1 to 3 years. Professional ceramic coatings on the other hand can last 5+ years (although they do require washing, occasional decontamination, and ceramic boost sprays every few months).

When I take delivery of my MME, I plan on applying Gyeon Cancoat Evo, which is an entry-level consumer ceramic coating that should last 12 to 18 months. It is also super easy to apply. Just wipe on and wipe off.

Here is a very helpful video I have posted before that does a great job of giving accurate information about ceramic coatings and also dispelling some of the overhyped myths:

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
I guess I'll just answer your question with a question. How much detailing do you want, or like to do yourself?

If you just do quick washes and drive, I'd pay to have it done. I myself enjoy detailing my car regularly...not a freak, and yes I use my towels more than once.😉 It also depends on your desire and abilities. There are some great products on the market, and very user friendly. For ceramic to be awesome, it really comes down to the prep work. Ceramic needs to be applied over a very clean surface to be mind blowing.

I have a black Mach E, and it looks like a mirror, all of the time. I had PPF put on front bumper and hood...only. The rest of the ride is my own handy work.

I wish you all the best in whatever you do, and enjoy the ride!

IMG_20220529_130440084_HDR.jpg

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I had PPF applied and was not happy with the result, it just did not look good and had too many issues for me to be satisfied. A poor installation job.

Had it removed and replaced with a professional ceramic coating, Ceramic Pro. It may not offer the same chip protection as PPF but I am very satisfied with the result.

I park outside, I have a carport but no charge station in it. Tons of trees and birds. Washes off with ease and I don't spend tons of time scrubbing to get debris off.

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
I would recommend PPFing the grill, fenders, and hood (that’s where gravel and rock will kick up), and applying a full ceramic coat over everything.

I would vehemently disagree with those who call it “snake oil” because I see a real noticeable difference. Whenever it rains the cars next to me look like the got a mud bath and mine looks pretty clean by comparison.

I see in your photo you have grabber blue
 me too. I wish I would have taken a photo of this first edition grabber blue I pulled up next to. I had just completed a 200 mile trip to Boston. His looked like someone put it through a blender and mine looked brand new. I’m pretty sure he didn’t have PPF or ceramic

OP
OP
LexiRN

LexiRN

First Name
Lexi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e
Country flag
I guess I'll just answer your question with a question. How much detailing do you want, or like to do yourself?

If you just do quick washes and drive, I'd pay to have it done. I myself enjoy detailing my car regularly...not a freak, and yes I use my towels more than once.😉 It also depends on your desire and abilities. There are some great products on the market, and very user friendly. For ceramic to be awesome, it really comes down to the prep work. Ceramic needs to be applied over a very clean surface to be mind blowing.

I have a black Mach E, and it looks like a mirror, all of the time. I had PPF put on front bumper and hood...only. The rest of the ride is my own handy work.

I wish you all the best in whatever you do, and enjoy the ride!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ceramic coating? IMG_20220529_130440084_HDR
My abilities are minimal when it comes to cars. I'm a nurse lol. I also have 3 small kids so I don't have the time to dedicate to doing it right. If I have it done, it will be done by a detailing shop. Your car is beautiful! Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
LexiRN

LexiRN

First Name
Lexi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e
Country flag
I would recommend PPFing the grill, fenders, and hood (that’s where gravel and rock will kick up), and applying a full ceramic coat over everything.

I would vehemently disagree with those who call it “snake oil” because I see a real noticeable difference. Whenever it rains the cars next to me look like the got a mud bath and mine looks pretty clean by comparison.

I see in your photo you have grabber blue
 me too. I wish I would have taken a photo of this first edition grabber blue I pulled up next to. I had just completed a 200 mile trip to Boston. His looked like someone put it through a blender and mine looked brand new. I’m pretty sure he didn’t have PPF or ceramic
Thanks! I think I'm going to get it done. The responses seem to be pretty positive.

Mache65

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E, 21 F150 PB Limited, 21 Ram 1500 Limited
Country flag
I have used successfully Adams graphene coating. I bought on sale. I did it myself on all my cars and trucks, lot of work but worth it as I like to keep my cars clean and can not afford 1500 on each cars.

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
I'm a body shop guy... with 3 collision centers... I think it's an expensive wax... pay the extra money for the clear bra... and make sure you get the headlights and GT grille done... painting the front end is about 2000.00 but, the headlights are approx. 1600.00 each and if you have a GT the grille it is another 1800.00... I don't believe any applied coating is going to hold up after several washes... Lastly, most insurance companies will pay for the clear bra/PPF clear decals if they need replacing after an accident... Just my 2 cents...

29706149-8d91-48c7-b5f0-782a0ff9dc6f.jpg

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
First, true ceramic coatings aren’t snake oil, but, many of the cheap “ceramic” sprays over promise and under deliver. My son and I have been using the cheap $12.99 Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions ceramic spray coating to good effect. Very good water beading for 4-6 weeks after 1 application, or 8-12 weeks if you apply a 2nd coat. It’s pretty much wipe on, wife off per instructions, no real skill or work involved. But, it’s not a true ceramic layer of long lasting paint protection.

That said, I read reviews on true ceramic coatings for the DIY car enthusiast and recently purchased the Adam’s Polishes Graphene Ceramic Coating Advanced kit. It was $145 on Amazon and includes enough ceramic and prep spray to do 2 vehicles. It is also rated at a 10H hardness level which is the highest they sell, supposedly good for 9-10 years, but, that’ll depend on application and environment no doubt. It also comes with a UV flashlight that you shine on areas that you’ve coated with ceramic already to highlight any areas you’ve missed. Partly gimmick but it did make the coating process easier.

Results on our son’s crystal black silica ‘17 WRX were rather eye opening. He prepped it with a clay bar, then did a cleaner wax and a polishing wax prior to application of the ceramic per instructions. There was a noticeable difference in paint color depth and “wet” look after the ceramic as opposed to just the clay bar and 2 steps of wax application. Additionally, dirt and tree sap and bird crap literally rinse right off with no effort. Time will tell how long it lasts but it beats dropping $1500-3K for a pro to do I’ll tell you that. Next up is my wife’s Mach E.

I now recommend giving a high quality DIY ceramic coating a try after this experience.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ceramic coating? 29706149-8d91-48c7-b5f0-782a0ff9dc6f
I've used the Adam's Graphene kit as well and while I can't comment on durability, I'm pretty amazed with the results so far.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
There are two general types of ceramic coatings. First, there are professionally applied coatings that require respirators and special equipment for curing. Those will be more expensive than do-it-yourself type coatings. They will also last for years with proper maintenance (washing mostly). One advantage these coatings have is they also provide UV protection to your paint for those who live in an area where this is critical (such as me). You pay for the prep work and the ability to use professional-grade equipment. The ads you see where they squirt lighter fluid on the paint and light it with no ill effects? Yeah, that is late-night television salesmanship.

The second broad category is the spray-on type coatings. Turtle Wax, for example, has a very popular line of Ceramic Sprays. The various graphene spray coatings would fall in here as well. These are fairly low in SiO2 (or graphene) but do give a nice shine, and should outlast a normal paste wax. They will need to be reapplied regularly to maintain the luster and paint protection. How long will they last? Ask someone who doesn’t live in excessive UV light Hawaii. Out here a paste wax finish might last 2 months if you’re lucky. Elsewhere it’s much better I’m sure.

There is actually a third category to consider and that is the consumer level ceramic coatings applied by wiping on. These are small bottles where you use a few drops on an applicator, wipe a section of the car in two directions, and wipe off with a microfiber towel. They take longer to apply but last far longer than spray-on coatings. These coatings are softer than the professional coatings but harder than a wax or spray ceramic coating. I did our restored Jeep Wrangler in AvalonKing's Armor IX, it turned out great.

Also keep in mind that any product, wax or ceramic, needs prep work. That will be the most time-consuming and tedious part. Wash, claybar, polish, clean, etc. if you’re good at that, you can save time and money and get great results. Or pay someone to do it using a professional product and get great long lasting results. As I said, I did it myself on our resorted Jeep, we had a local detail shop apply Ceramic Pro sliver plus (3 coats) on our 2020 Raptor and 2021 MME.
Just pointing out this isn't really the case.

I absolutely love ScottHD as he puts everything to the test with REAL results. Si02 coatings, even with UV blocking additives, are simply too thin to do any real good. But that's also why clearcoats exist. They block UV. So the Ceramic coating protects the clear from oxidation and minor damage via a sacrificial layers, and gives the clear coat the best chance to do what it was supposed to do.

And ceramic coatings are 100% not snake oil.

And they will definitely last beyond a couple washings.
Sponsored